2024 NFL Draft Thread

textaz03

9 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I didn't like what I saw from Vaughn last year, he doesn't seem like a real NFL player to me. At best he should be competing with UDFAs for RB4.

I could see Zeke, Dowdle and Freeman as the Top 3 in a worst case scenario, but they should still be on the lookout. The reports around the Zeke interest are saying he's supposed to be more of a short yardage/veteran leadership addition than a guy who's getting 200 touches. One would hope.

I can hardly wait for the Dak apologists to chime in when he continually craps the bed next season and blame his struggles on the poor running game. The Clampett’s are literally giving him a built-in excuse on a silver platter.

54 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I didn't like what I saw from Vaughn last year, he doesn't seem like a real NFL player to me. At best he should be competing with UDFAs for RB4.

I could see Zeke, Dowdle and Freeman as the Top 3 in a worst case scenario, but they should still be on the lookout. The reports around the Zeke interest are saying he's supposed to be more of a short yardage/veteran leadership addition than a guy who's getting 200 touches. One would hope.

This is a pretty accurate breakdown of Vaughn.

The guy didn't really get a fair look. When he had favorable situations he made some good gains and showcased some moves. Of his 40 carries, maybe 10 or 12 were actually in situations you'd ideally play him in. If you look at the carries where he came in during true game situations that would call for his skill set. The production was there.

He was also a 6th round selection for a reason. He lacked the bulk he needed and the experience against faster, stronger competition. The promise is still there that we were all excited for in preseason. 

47 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I can hardly wait for the Dak apologists to chime in when he continually craps the bed next season and blame his struggles on the poor running game. The Clampett’s are literally giving him a built-in excuse on a silver platter.

Everything is in line for Dak to prove he can do it with less like the really elite QBs can. You want to be paid like  a quarter or more of the salary cap, you better be able to do a lot with less like the elite guys can. 

I think this year is the true litmus test for Dak. Everyone's talking about it being a wash year designed to get rid of Dak and start all over. I think it's more of a test to see if Dak is worth what he wants. I believe Jerry when he says they want Dak Prescott. But I also believe they want Dak Prescott to succeed with less and prove he is that elite. And if he doesn't, then they can move on without it costing them anything. 

Tyrone Tracy and Rasheen Ali are only 2 RBs left that Dallas had visits with I believe. Like Tracy as a prospect, but not sure I want to hitch my wagon to him just yet.
Ali is a really solid late prospect. His bicep tear probably puts him in UDFA status. 

11 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Tyrone Tracy and Rasheen Ali are only 2 RBs left that Dallas had visits with I believe. Like Tracy as a prospect, but not sure I want to hitch my wagon to him just yet.
Ali is a really solid late prospect. His bicep tear probably puts him in UDFA status. 

I think at this point they pass on RB.

Jerry did it to himself and this team during his press conference Thursday night when he said Brooks was the best interview he's ever had in his 30 years with the team and praising how good he is. So any team targeting him (Carolina) knew they had to jump Dallas at the least to get him, or move up higher than Dallas might be willing to do, to get him. He basically set it up with his own mouth to lose out on the runner they truly wanted.

They obviously didn't view any of the other runners as worth selecting that high. Because they still had a shot at some good ones and we all know how they have no problem scrambling for the leftovers when they one they really wanted is gone. Rushing to fill the need with the leftovers is how they ended up with several of their more recent 2nd and 3rd round busts. But to not chase a RB and settle for one of the guys they liked but wasn't truly targeting, leads me to truly believe it was Jonathan Brooks or pass on running back altogether.

25 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Everything is in line for Dak to prove he can do it with less like the really elite QBs can. You want to be paid like  a quarter or more of the salary cap, you better be able to do a lot with less like the elite guys can. 

I think this year is the true litmus test for Dak. Everyone's talking about it being a wash year designed to get rid of Dak and start all over. I think it's more of a test to see if Dak is worth what he wants. I believe Jerry when he says they want Dak Prescott. But I also believe they want Dak Prescott to succeed with less and prove he is that elite. And if he doesn't, then they can move on without it costing them anything. 

Still a stupid idea. We should have traded him and gotten more compensation than a measly 3rd round comp pick. Once again, it demonstrates how short sighted this organization is. They literally can’t develop a long term strategy to save their lives.

Just now, plan9misfit said:

Still a stupid idea. We should have traded him and gotten more compensation than a measly 3rd round comp pick. Once again, it demonstrates how short sighted this organization is. They literally can’t develop a long term strategy to save their lives.

Lance could be part of a long term strategy. All of the special traits are there. Just needed more time than SF was willing to give once Purdy showed what he can give them right now. But yeah I agree it's stupid to basically set Dak up to show he is either elite or not. 

Unless their long term strategy really is what I keep saying: let Dak show he is elite, and if so, extend him and McCarthy or find a new experienced coach to take the team to the next level. Or let Dak show he isn't elite and can't win with less like the truly Elites, and pay for Deion Sanders, tag/trade Dak and whatever else you need to for Shadeur Sanders, and use the money you'd have used for Dak to finally pay out big for Lamb, Parsons and Bland.

5 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Lance could be part of a long term strategy. All of the special traits are there. Just needed more time than SF was willing to give once Purdy showed what he can give them right now. But yeah I agree it's stupid to basically set Dak up to show he is either elite or not. 

Unless their long term strategy really is what I keep saying: let Dak show he is elite, and if so, extend him and McCarthy or find a new experienced coach to take the team to the next level. Or let Dak show he isn't elite and can't win with less like the truly Elites, and pay for Deion Sanders, tag/trade Dak and whatever else you need to for Shadeur Sanders, and use the money you'd have used for Dak to finally pay out big for Lamb, Parsons and Bland.

There is no long term strategy. Lance was a Jerry Jones pet cat. Hell, McCarthy didn’t even know that Jerry traded for him because they never talked about it.

This is just a sign of incompetence and a hope that Ewers or Sanders will be available for them next year.