2024 NFL Draft Thread

textaz03

2 hours ago, Northland said:

Here's my take on rounds 1-3 for the Cowboys for what it's worth (not much)

Love Guyton.  There will be growing pains but he's a terrific athlete.  In a couple of years he will emerge as one of the best OT's in this draft.  When you can trade back, get an extra pick, and still address a big need that's a win.

I'm coming around to Kneeland.  We lost a lot of DL depth and let's face it Lawrence isn't playing forever.  Kneeland has enough pass rush to disrupt the pocket and by all reports is good against the run.  Had a good Senior Bowl and combine.  Some reports had him going higher than where Dallas got him.

Beebe is my favorite pick.  Nothing fancy about his game.  He lines up, punches the defender in the mouth and moves the pile.  Will try him at center.  Nothing wrong with drafting linemen.  

Not sure about Liufau.  I think this was a reach.  Not saying he's a bad player just surprised where he was taken.  He will make a mark on special teams.  Reports say he's too aggressive at times.  I'd rather have a player I have to bring down than one who needs motivation.

My big question on day 3 is will Dallas address running back?

Good post man. Thoughtful. 

Re: Guyton. I didn't like it because I felt Barton at 24 made more sense. But I said it weeks ago, trading back and getting Guyton is still a win. So they won there. Guyton has the athletic ability to absolutely be the best OL on the team once Martin retires. But you are right. There's going to be some early pains and I certainly hope they have a plan to help him out, or that Mike Solari gets him ready faster than I think he can.

Re: Kneeland, this is the bigger Toss up imo because he is such a project. He would have been more hyped up if he went to Michigan instead of western Michigan. Playing where he played, he didn't get the best coaching or play against higher competition. But his athleticism definitely makes him a good add. I just don't think passing on the guys they passed on justify taking such a project. The project could for sure payoff. Hell he might come in on 3rd downs just 3 or 4 times a game and average a sack a game in that role, with that kind of athletic ability, and end up as DROY in such a minimal role. I doubt it sincerely. But that's the kind of athletic ability he has. And you can never ever count out someone with that kind of athleticism....but I'd still have gone Junior Colson right there. Or Blake Corrum. But that's just me.

Re: Beebee. Playing in a box at center hides every single shortcomings he has and maximizes every single good quality he has. This is by far their best pick. If I was a.betting man (and I actually am. So...) id be willing to bet he is a pro bowl center as a rookie.

Re: MY Notre Dame fellow alum Liafu. I read today that a respectable player and scout(Turbin) turned radio host comped him to Larry Izzo. That's not a bad comp actually. He has the ability to slide in on special teams and be extremely sensational. Given that kickoffs have changed now to influence more returns, I could see him making a stamp on more than one game this year. And he has the traits that you could certainly work with to become an off ball LB who may even start for you given time. My biggest question is, was that worth a third round selection when they still had the choice of some damn gold runners and even a few Lbs with more polish to impact the defense sooner?

As for will they draft a RB. I think they will. But I also think they are banking on more impact from Vaughn this year - he didn't get many quality chances last season,.coming in on garbage time against stacked boxes isn't what I call quality opportunities. When he did get a few good looks, he had some nice gains. I also believe they think Dowdle is capable of playing more and being efficient. Maybe not a 250-300 carry guy. But 180 carried with Vaughn getting 100ish himself should at the least be capable of putting up the same numbers Pollard did. There's also Hunter Luepke who actually looked damn good in the preseason. He has the ability to come in on short downs and move the pile. Adding Zeke could also help add some thump again. And whomever they draft this late may not need to see the field much this year. Passing on guys like Corrum and Benson earlier may well say more about what they project for the guys they have than anything.

19 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Idk, I think they're higher on Cooks than we are. He and Dak seemed to have that little post route at the goal line down to an art form by the end of last year.

My friend suggested we try to trade Markquese Bell to his old buddy Dan Quinn for Dyami Brown, who's in the last year of his contract, to try to upgrade at WR3. I think a cheap little vet exchange like that is more reasonable than eating $17M to push out D-Law a year early.

Eat 17mil, ouch. Had no idea when I suggested him as part of the move. Still, there are ways to split that with SF by reworking the contract or agreeing for SF to take on the bonus. Not sure how that all works exactly. I'm no cap guy at all, not even close 

And I'm certainly a Cooks believer! To have all those 1000nyard seasons with no continuity at QB and.playing for the bad teams he's played for shows just how good he is. Had he stayed in New Orleans all that time or been traded to a good team with a good QB, he may well be in the same mention as some of the leagues more elite veterans. Problem with Cooks is that he is a short term rental. Adding a guy in their prime like Samuels or Aiyuk means adding a longer term 1-B to Lambs 1-A. But paying one of them and paying Lamb is a hell of a burden unless you aren't carrying Dak's contract after this year.

It doesn't matter anyway. They would never make a move, or they would have traded for Burns for as low a pick investment as the Giants gave. He would have been a huge add and a true fit for this D while adding depth to a position in which we have very little. When I heard the Giants gave up a 3rd or 2nd whatever it was for Burns and not Dallas. I got pretty angry. Cause for that price I'd have added a 4th next year to outbid NyG in a heartbeat.

All in. Sure. All in on tanking for Deion Sanders as HC and Shadeur Sanders as QB. Ugh.

12 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Will Shipley to Philly.

He is a good fit for them. They like to seriously stack their RB depth chart with versatile style backs. Gainwell, Swift, now Barkley, adding Shipley. They definitely have a recipe they follow to the letter.

4 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

RBs flying off now. DAL will have to settle for slim pickings or address the position by other means

Braelen Allen to me was a top 3 RB in the draft. And is still available.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

2 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Braelen Allen to me was a top 3 RB in the draft. And is still available.

I'm not expecting to be there with another 40 picks to go. But I guess we'll see.

edit: and there he goes

Edited by matt79511

1 minute ago, matt79511 said:

I'm not expecting to be there with another 40 picks to go. But I guess we'll see.

edit: and there he goes

Yeah that one hurts. 

I honestly think they plan to add Zeke again. And really, Vaughn should be poised for a bigger impact this year. Dowdle can absolutely provide a contribution as well. And I think between the three of them you can manufacture a run game if you have good blocking. Which we should have.

I know RB is still a need, but I think we will still have a passable ground game no worse than last season. I think also that the staff really believes in Dowdle and Vaughn as a solid one-two combo able to do at least what we got from Pollard last season 

1 minute ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Yeah that one hurts. 

I honestly think they plan to add Zeke again. And really, Vaughn should be poised for a bigger impact this year. Dowdle can absolutely provide a contribution as well. And I think between the three of them you can manufacture a run game if you have good blocking. Which we should have.

I know RB is still a need, but I think we will still have a passable ground game no worse than last season. I think also that the staff really believes in Dowdle and Vaughn as a solid one-two combo able to do at least what we got from Pollard last season 

I didn't like what I saw from Vaughn last year, he doesn't seem like a real NFL player to me. At best he should be competing with UDFAs for RB4.

I could see Zeke, Dowdle and Freeman as the Top 3 in a worst case scenario, but they should still be on the lookout. The reports around the Zeke interest are saying he's supposed to be more of a short yardage/veteran leadership addition than a guy who's getting 200 touches. One would hope.