2024 NFL Draft Thread

textaz03

26 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

I’m also hearing that it’s a contract year for Tank and we are most likely to move on. Heir apparent???? 

I dunno. I know Tank will command a solid payday as a clear leader, a relentless defender, and a true defensive player who does everything you can ask. So it would make sense they let him walk as opposed to shelling out the big bucks for a guy his age on a team likely in a reset year next year.

But I don't think Kneeland is an heir to the kind of player Lawrence is. While both guys can play vs run or pass. That's were the similarities end. Kneeland doesn't show the same every down grinder capability Lawrence did at Boise St. And while being far more athletic than Lawrence back then, he is much less polished as a pass rusher and while being physical (not as physical as Lawrence tho) he isn't as solid against run blockers, struggling to disengage and stuff a lane and excelling more at using pass rush moves to get the jnside shoulder ... Which isn't very effective in NFL run block schemes.

That doesn't mean he can't get better. And you don't necessarily have to replace a player with the same type of olayer you had. So I guess it's possible he's the heir as you called it. To me he just doesn't translate to that kind of guy 

Well there's your center, or possible heir to Martin in time. 

If he plays this year, center is a must. He doesn't have the strength, arm extension or the quick footwork YET to play guard. More of a project of you plan to play him at guard.

But at center he has the ability to shine even as a rookie. His jump off, that first movement after a snap, is excellent. And that's a must as a center. He finishes every play and blocks with tenacity, even when he whiffs or gets beat he doesn't surrender on the play. His leg drive, also key for center, is a top 5 quality of all the OL in the draft.

He can excel at center this year. And all of his short comings are masked at center. While if you train his feet. Build his muscle. Replacing Martin in a few years is absolutely on the table.

If their 3 picks this draft so far. This is the one I like most. Guyton has the ability to become the best OL on the team when Martin retires. But Beebe has the ability to be a pro bowl starter right now if you play him at center. And down the road, he could kick out to RG and he might not be as great but he can still be really good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

This is a meat and potatoes style draft!  I’m digging it! Oline / Dline early often yearly! 

I do like the idea of building up the trenches. Part of Pollards iffy play at times last year was on the lack of finish at the line and the lack of mobility creating space. 

It's also a draft of future meets present. They address immediate needs and depth problems. But with players who are a bit more project than immediate starter. Upside guys. At positions where, soon. You may lose another key guy (Lawrence to FA, Martin to retirement) and you will need guys who can compete for those spots 

• Like 1

Marist Liufau 

Marist Liufau is a sizable rocket at off-ball LB. Once he flips on the jets, he gets to the ball fast. Upper-level burst and range. Minimal hesitancy to his game. Did showcase some impressive fluidity and awareness in coverage but best tracking the football underneath and behind the line. Despite his urgent, high-impact game, he could be better defeating blocks at the point of attack. Very capable blitzer because of his size and speed combination. Decently flexible, which aids his ability in coverage; just more of a spy or even an edge rusher on third downs than a coverage type. Quick key-reader, too. Hair-on-fire style leads to many missed tackles, but he gets to many tackles most LBs wouldn't. 

1 minute ago, textaz03 said:

That’s it for day 2 for us, curious if they can move up into the 4th. We still need a RB, WR and DT

Got to get a RB. Pick 174 is a long ways away. Feel like they. try and close that gap tomorrow 

We need a LB so I’m not going to diss the pick too much but holy ish we just kept passing on RBs.  And w/o a 4th round pick?  Jerrah must be thinking he’ll bring back Zeke at this point… he can at least pass protect.