2024 NFL Draft Thread

textaz03

1 minute ago, matt79511 said:

I think DAL has earned the benefit of the doubt with first round OLs. How many of us loved Tyler Smith when that happened? Or Travis Frederick?

Seems pretty clear to me, based on how much clock time they used at 24 and how little they used at 29, that they got the guy they almost took at 24 plus an extra third. That’s a win to me

Oh they made it clear Guyton was the guy. And really, I've been saying it a month. Guyton on a trade back works for me it's a very solid decision. Guyton outright was not. 

To be fair, when all is said and done. Guyton could be the best OT from this class. He has that kind of potential .. the problem is that it's potential. If you're expecting him to set his hips, anchor, and take a pop in pass protection. Dak is going to have a tough year.

But if the plan is to play Smith outside. Bass inside. And work on these things with Guyton before sliding Smith back in and Guyton taking the field later in the year or next season. Guyton could look amazing and Jerry could look like a genius.

5 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Steele isn't cut out for LT and moving him to guard and Smith to LT puts two of your cemented in place starters into positions that are definitely not their best spot.

Guyton will be the LT. Maybe not day 1 though. I also think TJ Bass is going to be pretty damn special as he puts on muscle. Maybe they few him as a potential LT to start the year or LG to start the year until Guyton is more prepared with Bass inside. And then move Smith back to guard as Guyton takes his spot at LT.

I dunno there's a lot of options now. 

But I am you what. A raw talent like Guyton is NOT an ALL IN pick. Maybe ALL IN 2, 3, 4 years from now. But this season is going to be tough on him 

Exactly my point. What kind of freaking pick is that. You could've chose the guy who is an instant starter to help your team. Not a guy that's extremely raw and might be good in 2-3 years.

2 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Oh they made it clear Guyton was the guy. And really, I've been saying it a month. Guyton on a trade back works for me it's a very solid decision. Guyton outright was not. 

To be fair, when all is said and done. Guyton could be the best OT from this class. He has that kind of potential .. the problem is that it's potential. If you're expecting him to set his hips, anchor, and take a pop in pass protection. Dak is going to have a tough year.

But if the plan is to play Smith outside. Bass inside. And work on these things with Guyton before sliding Smith back in and Guyton taking the field later in the year or next season. Guyton could look amazing and Jerry could look like a genius.

It definitely seems like a pick for 2025 and beyond. Any rookie LT is going to take his lumps, especially one transitioning from the right side.

But it was just two short years ago that people were calling Tyler Smith a 2nd-3rd round prospect, no chance he could be a Day 1 starter at LT, you get the idea. He wasn’t perfect there as a rookie but he was at least average.

Idk. We’re 4/4 on first round offensive linemen since 2011 making at least one All-Pro team. Not saying Guyton makes it 5/5 but by no means should he be written off.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Steele isn't cut out for LT and moving him to guard and Smith to LT puts two of your cemented in place starters into positions that are definitely not their best spot.

Guyton will be the LT. Maybe not day 1 though. I also think TJ Bass is going to be pretty damn special as he puts on muscle. Maybe they few him as a potential LT to start the year or LG to start the year until Guyton is more prepared with Bass inside. And then move Smith back to guard as Guyton takes his spot at LT.

I dunno there's a lot of options now. 

But I am you what. A raw talent like Guyton is NOT an ALL IN pick. Maybe ALL IN 2, 3, 4 years from now. But this season is going to be tough on him 

I think it’s well established by now that all in doesn’t mean what Jerry thinks it means.

4 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

It definitely seems like a pick for 2025 and beyond. Any rookie LT is going to take his lumps, especially one transitioning from the right side.

But it was just two short years ago that people were calling Tyler Smith a 2nd-3rd round prospect, no chance he could be a Day 1 starter at LT, you get the idea. He wasn’t perfect there as a rookie but he was at least average.

Idk. We’re 4/4 on first round offensive linemen since 2011 making at least one All-Pro team. Not saying Guyton makes it 5/5 but by no means should he be written off.

People were calling Tyler a 2nd. I wasn't. Dallas wasn't. Tyler had the polish to play now and the movement with his feet to play outside when needed, and the arm extension and strength to excel inside. He was a clear day 1 starter and hence. A first round guy 

Guyton has more potential than Tyler did as a draft prospect. But Tyler was far more game ready and versatile. Guyton is definitely a r1 grade based on potential .. he could soon, when Martin retires, be the best OL on the team. And maybe the best OT from this class 

What stumps me is just how this helps Dak and this offense right now. Unless you're moving Tyler outside, playing Bass inside. And planning for Guyton to ease in at LT over time, kicking Smith back in when he is ready...then I don't see how it helps now.

13 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Exactly my point. What kind of freaking pick is that. You could've chose the guy who is an instant starter to help your team. Not a guy that's extremely raw and might be good in 2-3 years.

Because overall, when Martin retires, Guyton has the ability to be the best OL on this team. The potential is really amazing. But it's on the coaches to get him there. And I don't see how this helps us now. We need players right now. 

I guess the way they see it, Dak is mobile enough to ease some pressure on Guyton. And the scheme allows for a lot of shorter throws and to get the ball out fast. Which could allow Guyton to play early and not be too big of a liability. And he is definitely an aid to the run game early on.

Idk. I think the NEED swayed them a little more than they should have allowed it to. JPJ was a better option. Suamataia doesn't have the potential of Guyton but like Tyler a couple years ago, has the polish enough to play from day 1. There were even some defensive options that were better prospects for both now and the future, like Edge Cooper, and Adonai Mitchel at receiver would have made good sense as well. Frazer at Center probably a bit raw like Guyton, but at least at center, being raw isnt as big of a liability..

Jerzhan Newton, Edgerrin Cooper, and Payton Wilson were all defensive players that depending on your tastes, all could grade out as higher prospects than Guyton. Newton definitely does based on the consensus. Cooper and Wilson a little less consensus.

If need for OL was going to sway them away from the defense. Then Kingsley Suamataia isn't as full of potential as Guyton but is probably a better day 1 player. JPJ at center was, to me, the best remaining OL on the board and passing on him IMO means they went into this thinking OT or bust...and if they didn't clear his medicals, Zach Frazier has as much raw potential inside as Guyton does outside, but without the liability of protecting your QBs blind side.

And that thought doubles down when you think that they passed on Graham Barton at 24, who's position flexibility and day 1 ability made him an instant upgrade that also could maybe help you with keeping your dressed OLs lower for GameDay and can fill in anywhere you really need, despite excelling at center. And triple down on that statement when you think about how elite JPJ is at center. I get there are worries the last few days about his medicals and I'm no doctor. But if you were thinking not BPA cause you need an OL. But were thinking more of best lineman available. JPJ had to be the choice then. And if not him then Barton.

The fact they passed on both means to me they were thinking OT or bust. And that worries me.

I don't hate the Guyton pick considering they also added a 3rd. I've said for a month if they could add Guyton and a pick that is a win. So I'll still say it's a win. But they let need dictate their pick a bit too much. Cause Barton and JPJ were much better OL choices just not at positions as premier as OT. 

And I get passing on the defensive options, but Newton has top 10 talent and fell right to you .. you had a chance to make up for the Mazi pick by adding a guy who can 3 tech and 1 tech effectively, penetrate often, collapse pockets and stuff the inside gaps. Passing on him only adds to the clear assertion that they went into today saying OT or bust.

And a win IMO or not (Guyton and a later pick) it always worries me when the Cowboys seem to target a position over a player.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

25 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

People were calling Tyler a 2nd. I wasn't. Dallas wasn't. Tyler had the polish to play now and the movement with his feet to play outside when needed, and the arm extension and strength to excel inside. He was a clear day 1 starter and hence. A first round guy 

Guyton has more potential than Tyler did as a draft prospect. But Tyler was far more game ready and versatile. Guyton is definitely a r1 grade based on potential .. he could soon, when Martin retires, be the best OL on the team. And maybe the best OT from this class 

What stumps me is just how this helps Dak and this offense right now. Unless you're moving Tyler outside, playing Bass inside. And planning for Guyton to ease in at LT over time, kicking Smith back in when he is ready...then I don't see how it helps now.

I don’t think there’s any chance they drafted him not to play. He’s gonna be the Day 1 LT.

2024 is likely a throwaway year for this franchise. Allegedly, every single coach is on a one-year deal, as is the quarterback. They’re more or less setting up Dak to fail by carrying him at a $55M cap hit to make him “prove” he’s worth that kind of money on a per year basis. They’re going to land multiple starters via the draft, and they’re not all going to be perfect out of the gate.

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

I don’t think there’s any chance they drafted him not to play. He’s gonna be the Day 1 LT.

2024 is likely a throwaway year for this franchise. Allegedly, every single coach is on a one-year deal, as is the quarterback. They’re more or less setting up Dak to fail by carrying him at a $55M cap hit to make him “prove” he’s worth that kind of money on a per year basis. They’re going to land multiple starters via the draft, and they’re not all going to be perfect out of the gate.

I've been saying similar for a while now

Deion is going to want to follow his sons to the NFL. Deion also said he will Eli Manning his son to ensure he goes someplace he approves of. Deion and Jerry are close. It's very possible the plan is to give this team one more chance, but with idea more being 'i would love to win it all this year but I also don't care if we fail. Because I'm hiring Deion next year and trading a player or two to help me land Shadeur Sanders because that's what Deion will want"

Jerry also told Shadeur s few months ago that if he were in this draft class. He would be the #1 pick (I don't believe that to be true, but Jerry said it whole heartedly)

It's definitely set up to be a wash of a season. Maybe not a suck for Shadeur tanking season. But definitely a "go try and win, it'd be cool. But it's ok if you don't. Because you're all gone soon anyway"

Oh!! And as for Guyton being a day 1 starter. Probably right. With the idea being Dak is mobile enough to ease some of the pressure and the system is designed for him to move the pocket and to get the ball out quickly. It should limit Guyton as a liability. But it doesn't erase the fact that he is indeed a liability this year.

If Guyton steps in on week 1 and plays well, and continues to play well ... Mike Solari may just be the assistant coach on the team to get him ready that quickly. Guytons potential is through the roof. It's getting him there that we should worry about

Edited by Dallas94Ware

26 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Atlanta taking Penix at 8 feels like a massive whiff. Same with Nix at 12, but Payton may work some magic there.

Beauty of Penix at 8 for Atlanta is that his biggest drawbacks are what made Cousins effective. So Penix gets to sit and watch a pro do the things he himself is maybe not so good at. Which hopefully rubs so he can up his game when it's time to take over 

It's similar to Mahomes behind Alex Smith. Mahomes' questionable traits were the traits that made Alex so effective later on. He got to sit and learn and watch from Alex. And those things rubbed off on him enough to where when he stepped in. Those questionable traits were no longer questionable.

It's an ideal situation for Penix. And a very smart move by Atlanta. In 2 or 3 years when Penix steps in, he should.be reading defenses and Knowing when to make the smart play instead of try for the big one. Which were his 2 largest issues. Same as they were for Mahomes. Penix. Like Mahomes. Needed to take his wildness and learn to make the smart play not look for the big one. Without losing the wild big play ability that made him good. Just like Penix. And both also had issues reading zone coverages with success. Alex Smith and Kirk Cousins both made their careers playing smart and reading defenses, it's hownthey made their money. The situations are so eerily similar..

Nix, I think if Payton brings back the offense he ran when Brees was younger. The one he ran with Marques Colson and Jimmy Graham, with lots of verticalish routes coupled with a YAC chdckdown that can benefit off of the clear out, and he teaches Nix to make that high or low read as quick as Brees did. It could work big time. Nix is a great fit for that.

But if he expects Nix to play to that quick pass, crossing pattern mess Brees ran later on and that he tried to have Wilson run, it won't really be very special. It's the kind of offense you run for simplicity when you want to limit your QB having to make tough reads, tough throws and limit turnovers - basically what MM did with Dak this year

Nix is a big play thrower who excels deep down the middle. Could he run the short stuff. Sure, many can. But you don't draft a guy that high to run the stuff he could have had Stidham run for a fraction of the investment 

Edited by Dallas94Ware

3 hours ago, Danger said:

something feels like it's changed for you guys since the Micah Draft IMO. 2022 and 2023 felt off to me for y'all and this feels more the same.

2022 has netted us two All-Pros and a Pro Bowler just halfway through their rookie contracts. Is that somehow below average?

The 2nd and 3rd rounders leave something to be desired, but DAL typically sets themselves up well to have excess capital via comp picks.

Apparently, Cowboys has a chance to move back again with KC but they went and traded with Buffalo instead . Would have been nice to get another pick in the 3rd or 4th ( Buffalo got  a 3rd for the 4th which Cowboys did not have)

12 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Yeah. Guyton is your week 1 LT. Ride or die.