2024 NFL Draft Thread

textaz03

2 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Appears a trade back is brewing for Dallas.

Makes sense again. I'm sure Colson. Benson. Corrum. And a couple other RB options and maybe even a receiver are all options for them. Trade back and see whos left...

But really. Missing out on Colson would make me scream.

Kneeland is physical. The kind of edge player who can play the run well, with the athleticism to chase runners or beat OTs. Tackles well. And gets imthe inside shoulder easier than the outside. Which also bodes pretty well for playing the run 

I guess, I guess Id say it isn't a bad pick considering they need the depth at end. And then boost to the run defense when they do rotate their guys. 

Could have been worse...

But I'd say, could have been better too.

3 minutes ago, Northland said:

I know little about Kneeland but I know that at 56 he needs to contribute out of the gate.  Does his selection mean less time for Parsons with his hand in the dirt at DE?

Replacement for Armstrong and competition for Williams. Probably a position we overlooked. Depth isn’t great at DE

Digging through the little notes I do have of Kneeland, I kept translating what I saw to being potentially really useful rushing the kicker because of the combo of physicality and athleticism. So there's that.

But as a true edge player, he will need to really develop his moves and learn to take the outside as effective as he gets inside. Could be one of those horse shoe players who's always close but doesn't get there often ...

Plays well against the run for an edge too.

As a rotation player you could do worse and he may well get better. And being able to play the run makes him an option as an early down player not just a situational rusher. Which is certainly new to this team.

I wonder if the idea is for him to come in on the end with Parsons playing true linebacker roles on the early downs. I guess that could work.

But a second round pick on a guy who i thinks best trait is special teams ability and that will likely be more of a role player whether that's a rotational rusher or an early down end with Parsons off the line...makes me scratch my head.

At second round a top 60 pick...wouldn't you want to aim for a clear cut starter?

4 minutes ago, Northland said:

I know little about Kneeland but I know that at 56 he needs to contribute out of the gate.  Does his selection mean less time for Parsons with his hand in the dirt at DE?

Kind of what I'm thinking since he can play the run. Early downs he can give you the ability to play run or pass. And let Parsons fall off the line. But regardless, it's a role. A role that could be a key role. But still just a role...

I don't know how you select a role player this high. This teams second round decisions never cease to amaze me

If Kneeland played at a bigger school and against grander competition more often, it is possible there would have been more love for him in the pre draft process given his true athleticism and high end physicality. Maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into liking this pick..but it's definitely true that being at a smaller school hurt his hype. 

They might have a bigger idea in mind for him than what I project him to be. And maybe Zimmer feels he can turn him into something similar to Hunter, who could play the run and rush the passer while not outright being a superstar in either outside of a couple really standout seasons. 

I hope they know what they are doing. But I still don't get how you select a guy who probably isn't a starter on this team even if your starter gets hurt. He's a rotation/role guy ... And second round you can still bring in a starter that does more for you than be a cog in the machine. But actually be a major part in hownthe machine runs

Still, that athleticism. That physicality. If he went to like, Alabama. Or even Kentucky instead of western Kentucky. There might have been talk of him in the same category as the top rushers in the draft. Because while far from an unfinished product. Teams covet that high end athleticism coming off the edge.

11 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Kind of what I'm thinking since he can play the run. Early downs he can give you the ability to play run or pass. And let Parsons fall off the line. But regardless, it's a role. A role that could be a key role. But still just a role...

I don't know how you select a role player this high. This teams second round decisions never cease to amaze me

I’m also hearing that it’s a contract year for Tank and we are most likely to move on. Heir apparent???? 

It's nothing personal but I'll say it again at 56 the player has to contribute regardless of his position.  I'll hope Dallas has found a player in Kneeland.  That being said their second round picks tend to be head scratchers.

7 minutes ago, Northland said:

It's nothing personal but I'll say it again at 56 the player has to contribute regardless of his position.  I'll hope Dallas has found a player in Kneeland.  That being said their second round picks tend to be head scratchers.

Oh he will for sure contribute. Because he can play the run and rush the passer, he will have field time. It just bugs me when the team uses a good pick like this for a guy who is going to rotate in at best. And likely not even be the first option to rotate in ..