🏈 Pick #13 is in! Raiders select TE, Brock Bowers, Georgia

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

Bowers is a weapon.  Mayer is a good TE.  Not great, but good.  I didn't comment on Mayer's thread last year.  I remember being really concerned with his arm length/wingspan.  He has t-rex arms.  It's crazy.  Brock Bowers is pretty small for a TE, but he's not your average TE.  He's just a weapon you line up everywhere just to create mismatches.  It's going to be fun watching him.

Regardless, hard to know his ceiling in a horrible JMD offense as a rookie. I think he can be really good as a balanced TE.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Regardless, hard to know his ceiling in a horrible JMD offense as a rookie. I think he can be really good as a balanced TE.

Rookie TE usually struggle too. 2nd year, better QB, less blocking: Mayer stock about to rise 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2024 at 8:08 PM, FloydFan said:
On 5/5/2024 at 10:36 AM, ronjon1990 said:

I've gathered that most want to talk about how great he's going to be without specifying what "great" looks like, even to them subjectively. Nobody wants to put a label on it, just in case he winds up a lackluster utility piece or even a dud. 

It's not really about the talking in his favor, it's that many of those who are happen to be the same folks that go after criticism or skepticism like Nancy Reagan and crack. 

Expand  

I think the issue there is that someone is asking for an arbitrary stat line for a rookie season when TEs in general have a tougher transition into the league. Of course we always have our militarily optimistic and pessimistic folks in here so I see what you’re saying. 

I don’t think it’s unreasonable for @Frankie2Gunz to ask what expectations are and in fairness he didn’t ask for his rookie season alone but for 5 full seasons giving him time to mature. That’s totally fair. It would be interesting to see what others would regard as a successful pick.

• Like 1

Imo rookies have 3 yrs to show something nobody picking up the 5th yr option unless you looking like a stud. After yr 3 teams looking to move you. Look at how many even get the 5th yr option. Nobody waiting 4-5 yrs for a rookie to develop 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Imo rookies have 3 yrs to show something nobody picking up the 5th yr option unless you looking like a stud. After yr 3 teams looking to move you. Look at how many even get the 5th yr option. Nobody waiting 4-5 yrs for a rookie to develop 

Raiders haven’t picked up a 5th year option since when? If Bowers gets picked up… success baby!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Raiders haven’t picked up a 5th year option since when? If Bowers gets picked up… success baby!

From 2021 class only 18 of 32 got their 5th yr option (the leatherwood ras god draft yr)

1 minute ago, Scoundrel said:

I asked for the raiders not 2021

We don’t pick up 5th yr deals cause we suck at first round picks. Hence why some here are not sold on our first rounders nor do we buy their jerseys 

7 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

We don’t pick up 5th yr deals cause we suck at first round picks. Hence why some here are not sold on our first rounders nor do we buy their jerseys 

So it’s a new dawn with Bowers! Fantastic 

On 5/10/2024 at 9:21 AM, Darbsk said:

I don’t think it’s unreasonable for @Frankie2Gunz to ask what expectations are and in fairness he didn’t ask for his rookie season alone but for 5 full seasons giving him time to mature. That’s totally fair. It would be interesting to see what others would regard as a successful pick.

What i am hoping for in any 1st round pick is that the pick ends up being seen as one of the top 5 players at his position for a 3+ year timeframe. If that happens to a pick then it always is a good pick

• Like 1

• 4 months later...