🏈 Pick #13 is in! Raiders select TE, Brock Bowers, Georgia

8 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

What was Mayer’s special trait?  I don’t watch college ball much. As of now his ceiling looks like a TE2. 

Great hands and contested catches. 
But yes does not have great speed.

i still think Mayers can be great for us.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

Great at contested catches and route running, but his lack of elite athleticism is limiting him at the NFL level. I think he's still a TE1 in this league, but nothing close to what Bowers is becoming. 

A very very low TE1. I don’t think Mayer is a Top 20 TE. Top 25 though, yeah. 

56 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

A very very low TE1. I don’t think Mayer is a Top 20 TE. Top 25 though, yeah. 

I don’t think Mayer has had a QB who is willing to play to his strengths yet tho. Which is contested catches.

Jimmy, Aoc, Minshew, Hoyer… seem him covered and don’t throw it up.

aoc did once on his first TD. And it was a beautiful catch

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SimonGruber said:

What was Mayer’s special trait?  I don’t watch college ball much. As of now his ceiling looks like a TE2. 

I liked Mayer, but as soon as I saw his very short arm length, I started to worry.  People were hyping him up as Gronk-like, but man, short arms do not translate well in the NFL (except for Maxx Crosby who also has surprisingly short arms).

20 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

I don’t think Mayer has had a QB who is willing to play to his strengths yet tho. Which is contested catches.

A great player gets open consistently. 

3 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

A great player gets open consistently. 

The precision and ability of a qb changes what’s deemed open.

Aaron to Davante was open if DA had a foot on the CB.

DA was covered even if he had the DB by 2 yards with Jimmy cause the ball couldn’t get there. 

I don’t think Mayer has had a qb that’ll give him the ball in tight spots. And while he may look covered in college he dominated contested catches, so while he looked covered he was actually open. 

Has to do it at the nfl level, but qb play comes into play.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I liked Mayer, but as soon as I saw his very short arm length, I started to worry.  People were hyping him up as Gronk-like, but man, short arms do not translate well in the NFL (except for Maxx Crosby who also has surprisingly short arms).

Wait what you sure ?  thought Baldinger called him the Condor for how long arms ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Maxx has an 81" wingspan my man. 

Love our 1-2 punch at tight end. Mayer is big, strong, has great hands. Bowers is an elite route runner with great hands, and athleticism. He's strong too.

What more could we want in terms of weapons. 

Just need to improve our OL. When is JPJ back??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

I really liked Mayer coming out. I’d say he was physically big and strong, great hands and good route runner, good after the catch (not Bowers great though and he’s not going to juke anyone) and very physical for a young kid, especially in blocking. He’s an old fashioned, physical TE that can one on one block TJ Watt.

I think he still has a good role in the O but Bowers is going to steal the headlines. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Mayer should be a great red zone target to have, I hope we use both Mayer and Bowers in the red zone. Adams and Bowers will draw the attention and Mayer could be that sneaky guy who blocks then breaks out wide open.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Mayer should be a great red zone target to have, I hope we use both Mayer and Bowers in the red zone. Adams and Bowers will draw the attention and Mayer could be that sneaky guy who blocks then breaks out wide open.

Yup, the more attention bowers starts getting is really going to open things up for Mayer. 

I expect him to have a big game in a few weeks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/brock-bowers-is-producing-like-no-other-rookie-tight-end-ever-through-two-games

15/17 when targeted. My god target the man more please.

its too bad this will always be seen as a bad pick because we should’ve traded up to get Nix once the other 5 were gone 🤣

No we were supposed to take a OL or CB because need lol not anyone in particular either just one to fill the need lol 

Edited by Geezy
  • Like 1