2024 draft: Florida WR Ricky Pearsall #31

Forge

I will say, that even though Pearsall was one of my guys in this draft, I would've went a different direction.  I really thought Cooper DeJean would've been a great pick here.  As a Hawkeye fan, I've watched almost every game he's played to this point.  He's the total package.  9ers needed help in the secondary.  The fact that he didn't go top 10, and was around at 31, is crazy to me.  He's far better than most of the players who went before him.  If there was more of a need for a P, I would've put Tory Taylor in here for sure too.  

If I'm the 9ers, I probably would've went with this for a draft, given how it went down:

1.  Cooper DeJean, DB, Iowa - play him at CB, Nickel, Safety, KR, whatever.  Dude's a baller.  Worst case scenario?  All pro safety.

2.  Luke McCaffrey, WR, Rice - I think he'll be a good one.  Been watching him for years.....since his QB days at Nebraska, even though I really dislike Nebraska.

3.  Payton Wilson, LB, NC State - He's been healthy for 2 years, and he's a stud.  Steal of the draft, by far, if he stays healthy.  

4 (trade up using the 6th).  Mason McCormick, G, SDSU - I think with his agility/COD #s he'd be a good guard for the Shanahan system & bpa at a need position here.

4.  Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville - I would've went RB here, be it Guerendo, Shipley or Allen.  Homerun speed, and the fact that Shanahan picked him is why I stayed here.

4.  Braelon Allen, RB, Wisconsin - I don't like McCaffrey getting such high usage, and I think at his size, perhaps Allen could be developed to replace Juice at FB.  

7.  Garrett Greenfield, OT, SDSU - I'm no SDSU fan at all, but an athletic OT to develop makes a lot of sense here.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I will say, that even though Pearsall was one of my guys in this draft, I would've went a different direction.  I really thought Cooper DeJean would've been a great pick here.  As a Hawkeye fan, I've watched almost every game he's played to this point.  He's the total package.  9ers needed help in the secondary.  The fact that he didn't go top 10, and was around at 31, is crazy to me.  He's far better than most of the players who went before him.  If there was more of a need for a P, I would've put Tory Taylor in here for sure too.  

If I'm the 9ers, I probably would've went with this for a draft, given how it went down:

1.  Cooper DeJean, DB, Iowa - play him at CB, Nickel, Safety, KR, whatever.  Dude's a baller.  Worst case scenario?  All pro safety.

2.  Luke McCaffrey, WR, Rice - I think he'll be a good one.  Been watching him for years.....since his QB days at Nebraska, even though I really dislike Nebraska.

3.  Payton Wilson, LB, NC State - He's been healthy for 2 years, and he's a stud.  Steal of the draft, by far, if he stays healthy.  

4 (trade up using the 6th).  Mason McCormick, G, SDSU - I think with his agility/COD #s he'd be a good guard for the Shanahan system & bpa at a need position here.

4.  Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville - I would've went RB here, be it Guerendo, Shipley or Allen.  Homerun speed, and the fact that Shanahan picked him is why I stayed here.

4.  Braelon Allen, RB, Wisconsin - I don't like McCaffrey getting such high usage, and I think at his size, perhaps Allen could be developed to replace Juice at FB.  

7.  Garrett Greenfield, OT, SDSU - I'm no SDSU fan at all, but an athletic OT to develop makes a lot of sense here.  

I LOVE DeJean and wanted him (I was PISSED we past on him), but we have to be honest about him and how the NFL viewed him.  He got picked at #40 - which tells me the NFL saw him as a jack of all trades type, but a master of none.  I think he would've been a fine pick tough, but we also can't discount that Renardo Green has also played Safety and his man coverage skills are far superior as of now.  A lot of people have questions about DeJean's man coverage.  

Newton is the guy I think we might really regret, but I think the foot injury scared our FO away.  Big dudes with foot injuries can be tricky, and the Niners always get hit when they overlook injury history.  Also, the freakin' Falcons took Ruke over him, which either says a lot about what NFL teams thought or shows that the Falcons are insane.  When a guy falls from top 20 all the way to #36, something must be wrong.  

I'm also more than happy with Puni in the third round.  I feel like they had to address OL at some point in the first three rounds or else they are getting into the "developmental" stage of the draft.  Don't get me wrong, I love McCormick and really really love Payton Wilson, but our fanbase is ready to storm the building if we don't go OL at least once in the first three rounds. 

Edited by WhyAmIHere

12 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

I LOVE DeJean and wanted him (I was PISSED we past on him), but we have to be honest about him and how the NFL viewed him.  He got picked at #40 - which tells me the NFL saw him as a jack of all trades type, but a master of none.  I think he would've been a fine pick tough, but we also can't discount that Renardo Green has also played Safety and his man coverage skills are far superior as of now.  A lot of people have questions about DeJean's man coverage.  

Newton is the guy I think we might really regret, but I think the foot injury scared our FO away.  Big dudes with foot injuries can be tricky, and the Niners always get hit when they overlook injury history.  Also, the freakin' Falcons took Ruke over him, which either says a lot about what NFL teams thought or shows that the Falcons are insane.  When a guy falls from top 20 all the way to #36, something must be wrong.  

I'm also more than happy with Puni in the third round.  I feel like they had to address OL at some point in the first three rounds or else they are getting into the "developmental" stage of the draft.  Don't get me wrong, I love McCormick and really really love Payton Wilson, but our fanbase is ready to storm the building if we don't go OL at least once in the first three rounds. 

You know, I've followed DeJean very closely.  His dad is from my mom's hometown, and ran high school at a rival school.  I remember watching him run track (thank god he was 5+ years older than me so I didn't get embarrassed by him lol.  I was pretty fast in the 100, but that dude could FLY!).  I was already a fan of DeJean before I realized who his dad was and that his family is from my part of rural SD.  I think, worst case scenario, you have an elite safety in DeJean, or an elite nickel CB.  I'm happy with Pearsall though.  He was in my top 3 trio of WRs that I wanted that I thought would be available on day 2.

When I was looking at that draft I made, I wanted to go OL early and often, but I just didn't see the value/talent there.  All of the OL talent that I really liked, went before pick 31.  Then you had the mauler types, who really don't fit the Shanahan system on day 2-3.  The 2 SDSU guys seem like the best value and possible schematic fit that were actually around and available.  Late 3 or 4, is about the same thing to me.  That's the problem with picking at 31.....you get the scraps.  Almost like you didn't have a first rounder to begin with.  

54 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

When I was looking at that draft I made, I wanted to go OL early and often, but I just didn't see the value/talent there.  All of the OL talent that I really liked, went before pick 31.  Then you had the mauler types, who really don't fit the Shanahan system on day 2-3.  

I see so much frustration from Niner fans that they didn't go OL harder in the early rounds and I keep thinking what you just wrote here.  Sometimes the board just doesn't fall the way you want to address certain needs.  I think they did a great job of moving up to get Puni right before all the "starting level" talent ran out.  

My only thing is, if they really liked Rosengarten they should've just moved up a few spots to get him...I'm sure it would not take much, or maybe it did? we'll never know.  I think most people who watched a lot of film saw that Kingsley was a bad fit as an immediate starter/contributor here.  They had him in their laps and passed.  

• Like 3

On 4/26/2024 at 2:18 AM, John232 said:

Using a first round pick on 5-6 touches a game is horrible process. 

If it helps you feel better about the pick and maintain perspective, 5-6 touches a game would work out to a minimum of 85 touches on the season, which would be 10 more than Aiyuk had in 2023.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, WhyAmIHere said:

I see so much frustration from Niner fans that they didn't go OL harder in the early rounds and I keep thinking what you just wrote here.  Sometimes the board just doesn't fall the way you want to address certain needs.  I think they did a great job of moving up to get Puni right before all the "starting level" talent ran out.  

My only thing is, if they really liked Rosengarten they should've just moved up a few spots to get him...I'm sure it would not take much, or maybe it did? we'll never know.  I think most people who watched a lot of film saw that Kingsley was a bad fit as an immediate starter/contributor here.  They had him in their laps and passed.  

Honestly, I kind of think the team just made a conscious decision that they liked a guy like Puni more than they liked guys such as Suamataia and Rosengarten. Whether that's for immediate impact in terms of who he is as a prospect, or where they believe the issues on the line truly reside. 

It's possible that the gap between Green and their next corner was substantially greater, but that would be wild imo. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, I kind of think the team just made a conscious decision that they liked a guy like Puni more than they liked guys such as Suamataia and Rosengarten. Whether that's for immediate impact in terms of who he is as a prospect, or where they believe the issues on the line truly reside. 

It's possible that the gap between Green and their next corner was substantially greater, but that would be wild imo. 

If they really thought that Rosengarten was an important piece of the team, they'd have hopped up and ensured the pick. Heck, he probably would have been taken at 31. I think that they liked him; I think that he was the presumptive pick at 63. We've seen that this staff cares less for the consensus opinion than most. But I don't think that they were aggressively all in on him. I agree on the assessment - Puni really helps to stabilize the line. I wouldn't have chosen Green myself, but I at least see the vision. We knew that over the next couple of years we were going to have some real turnover on offense - we turned over the weapons first, which is very us. I'll be fascinated to see how they approach offensive tackle over the next couple of years - try to get a couple of budget vets? Trade for a young hot shot on a rebuilding team? Trade up in the draft? Because they have to make moves there now. And while the defense should remain relatively unchanged for one more year after this one, we need to get a lot more folks under cheap contracts there for a longer period of time.

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

I too like Puni a whole lot more than Rosie or Sua...  I think his blocking is better rounded than both of them. Suamataia is just too rough and unrefined and Rosie is too one dimensional. Puni can blow people off the line. Love it. 

• Like 3