2024 draft: Florida WR Ricky Pearsall #31

Forge

Some numbers from Reception Perception. Below breaks down how often he ran which routes. A ton of in-breaking routes, ~45% total

Screenshot-20240429-191935.jpg

Success rate vs man- 75.8%, better than Harrison Jr (74%)

Vs zone- 82.2%, better than Nabers, just behind MHJ (83.2%)

Vs press- 67.7% (MHJ 78%, Nabers 72%)

Now he's obviously not a Nabers, MHJ, or Odunze level player- but he is damn good. Better than Ladd in literally every measurement 

2 hours ago, adamq said:

Now he's obviously not a Nabers, MHJ, or Odunze level player-

How do we know this for sure though?  He's more athletic than all of them.  He also had some of the crappiest QB play I've seen for a big name WR in this class.  His drop rate is less than anyone else too.  Just saying...I'm optimistic.  It's such a good system fit with Kyle as well. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

How do we know this for sure though?  He's more athletic than all of them.  He also had some of the crappiest QB play I've seen for a big name WR in this class.  His drop rate is less than anyone else too.  Just saying...I'm optimistic.  It's such a good system fit with Kyle as well. 

I almost never look at bulk season stats- when I'm looking at what a player did over the course of a season its with overall game logs and individual game box scores.. the bulk stuff is kind of pointless to what I care about

I think this is the first time I've looked at what the 49ers as a whole did in 2023, and unless we see a big change in offensive philosophy (which has been mentioned), I just don't see how Pearsall can get a meaningful target share that would translate to an impressive statistical rookie season. Unless they do end up getting rid of Deebo before this season.

Jauan Jennings and McCloud (13 games, 12 games) only caught 31 balls combined. 

I say this because I was thinking we could see a somewhat similar career path as Aiyuk statistically.. if you flip his year 1 and year 2 😂

49 minutes ago, adamq said:

I almost never look at bulk season stats- when I'm looking at what a player did over the course of a season its with overall game logs and individual game box scores.. the bulk stuff is kind of pointless to what I care about

I think this is the first time I've looked at what the 49ers as a whole did in 2023, and unless we see a big change in offensive philosophy (which has been mentioned), I just don't see how Pearsall can get a meaningful target share that would translate to an impressive statistical rookie season. Unless they do end up getting rid of Deebo before this season.

I say this because I was thinking we could see a somewhat similar career path as Aiyuk statistically.. if you flip his year 1 and year 2 😂

I feel like his ceiling is 

(McCloud + Jennings)+ [.5(Dwelly + Woerner  + Juzcheck)]= Ceiling

I think we are going to use more 3 WR sets next year.  I wouldn't be surprised if we had half as many two tight end and/or two back sets.

41 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I feel like his ceiling is 

(McCloud + Jennings)+ [.5(Dwelly + Woerner  + Juzcheck)]= Ceiling

I think we are going to use more 3 WR sets next year.  I wouldn't be surprised if we had half as many two tight end and/or two back sets.

Eric Crocker made a good comparison, said he was like Adam Thielen...who is a freakin' baller. 

6 hours ago, Forge said:

@jrry32 

Why wasn't he targeted more at Florida? What was going on there? Is that a team thing, or is this a Pearsall inconsistency thing in your opinion? 

Incompetent HC who also served as the play-caller. Pearsall has some weaknesses, but in a better offense, he'd have eclipsed 1000 yards by a large margin.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, adamq said:

I think those stats are part of the reason why we drafted Pearsall in the first, not why we should expect similar production. I think the hope is to increase production from the WRs after Aiyuk and Deebo, because they may have only caught 31 balls, but they were on the field for over 500 snaps combined.  I think they want more production out of that spot and further stress defenses with that 5th option on the field being a more legitimate threat. 

The team was also hamstrung any time Deebo went down, so this would be another hope for increasing that production in those unfortunate situations. I don't think anything dramatically different, but probably closer to 50-60 receptions for him/Jennings with Pearsall probably making up most of the difference.

It depends entirely on how quickly Pearsall picks up all the WR positions and how willing he is as a blocker, but from the outside looking in, it seems like Pearsall will be a willing learner based on what I have heard and read about him.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, WhyAmIHere said:

Eric Crocker made a good comparison, said he was like Adam Thielen...who is a freakin' baller. 

The typical 'white guy' comp lol.

Personally, he reminds me alot of Chris Olave.

Not same deep speed as Olave but more so their shiftiness at the top of their routes and the use of pace to set-up certain routes.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

On 4/29/2024 at 1:26 PM, adamq said:

Some numbers from Reception Perception. Below breaks down how often he ran which routes. A ton of in-breaking routes, ~45% total

Screenshot-20240429-191935.jpg

Success rate vs man- 75.8%, better than Harrison Jr (74%)

Vs zone- 82.2%, better than Nabers, just behind MHJ (83.2%)

Vs press- 67.7% (MHJ 78%, Nabers 72%)

Now he's obviously not a Nabers, MHJ, or Odunze level player- but he is damn good. Better than Ladd in literally every measurement 

He's great until somebody gets hands on him.  HIs quickness, speed, and feet are really nice attributes though, and he adds a dimension to the team that wasn't there last year.  

• Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 11:29 PM, typecast said:

CJ's reaction to the pick

His reaction was crazy.  There were a few guys that I thought would really fit the 9ers, and that I wanted to see them draft, and Pearsall was one of them.  He looks like the total package to me, and a perfect fit for Shanahan's scheme.  I've been following Luke since he was a QB at Nebraska, just like I followed Christian since his freshman year at Stanford, so he was another one of them, as was McConkey & Roman Wilson.  (I didn't even bother talking about guys like Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, etc, who I knew would be gone really early, so this is more of a day 2 list of guys, with Pearsall barely sneaking into 1)  I was really hoping they'd double up on McCaffrey's and WRs, with Luke on day 2 or 3, but the Redskins grabbed him too soon!  

On 4/26/2024 at 1:18 AM, John232 said:

Yeah as a win now team; using late firsts to red shirt picks is horrible horrible horrible process.  a first round pick for a third receiver who ..maybe fills a gap in year 2 is horrible process.  Using a first round pick on 5-6 touches a game is horrible process. 

I get it if he’s coming into a starting job. Won’t complain and as a prospect he’s in range so don’t even care to call it a reach, but is he even guaranteed to beat out Jennings? Bell? This is just bad process again. We bail ourselves out all the time with FAs and late picks but if we want to keep Brock alive and growing, this has to be a hit. And honestly wasting a year (assuming no receivers get traded) so he can maybe be a good 2 is a literal waste of time.

Corner and offensive line will be the end of us. Again. 

I disagree with that.  They're supposedly looking to trade the WRs they currently have (and can't afford to keep moving forward), so they get something out of them, rather than lose them in FA for nothing in the near future.  So lets say that Pearsall cranks it up and shows he can contribute now.  Another team has a WR go down.  9ers get a 1st round pick by trading Aiyuk.  They can't afford to have the highest paid DE, TE, RB, etc, and retain everyone.  So the guys like Aiyuk that are more easily replaced and just a dude have to go.  I'd rather lose them for a 1, than a 3rd comp pick at best.