2024 - Let Kwesi Cook! (The 2024 Draft Class)

the Vikings 2024 Draft Class:

McCarthy, QB
Turner, EDGE
Jackson, CB
Rouse, OT
Reichard, K
Jurgens, C/G
Rodriguez, DT

listed below are their college majors in a scrambled order, who studied what...?

Criminal Justice
Kinesiology
*unknown*
Biomechanical Engineering
Communications
Business Management
*unknown, but works with youth having intellectual and developmental disabilities*

Posted (edited)

I didn’t like the trade up for Turner, given the draft board. Turner is not great in the run defence game (at the front D positions), he has more risk due to him being more of “one trick pony” (Rush the QB only). His best position might just be as stand up rush OLB, and not up on the front DL. 

I’d want my DEs to be good in both run D and rush the QB. 

I also don’t love the move to acquire #23 in isolation. Remember everyone said “well they obviously did this knowing they could get up to the top 3” or “they are comfortable with the parameters” … but when this move was made they already pre determined they were taking “a QB” using #11. I certainly hope JJ was not there #5 QB on their internal board, regardless of what comes out. But who knows. 

But of course I rather JJ + Turner + 2025 1st then Maye. That would have been a disaster, since I personally had Maye as the 5th best QB prospect 

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I didn’t like the trade up for Turner, given the draft board. Turner is not great in the run defence game (at the front D positions), he has more risk due to him being more of “one trick pony” (Rush the QB only). His best position might just be as stand up rush OLB, and not up on the front DL. 

I’d want my DEs to be good in both run D and rush the QB. 

I also don’t love the move to acquire #23 in isolation. Remember everyone said “well they obviously did this knowing they could get up to the top 3” or “they are comfortable with the parameters” … but when this move was made they already pre determined they were taking “a QB” using #11. I certainly hope JJ was not there #5 QB on their internal board, regardless of what comes out. But who knows. 

But of course I rather JJ + Turner + 2025 1st then Maye. That would have been a disaster, since I personally had Maye as the 5th best QB prospect 

Very true, Turner is not great holding the point of attack but honestly he is much improved in that regard this past year.  And clearly the Vikings are going multiple where they are not a standard 4/3 defense with down DEs on each side.

Based on the moves they have made in free agency with Van Ginkel and Greenard they want edge guys who can zone blitz, either go after the QB or drop into coverage and do so at any point so the OL does not know who is coming and who is not.  Turner is that guy, he is far better in coverage than the stronger more bull rusher DE in Jared Verse.  I would like the Vikings to have a power edge like Verse but again that would not fit what they want with multiple guys who can either rush or drop into coverage on any given play.

Even Jihad Ward who is a big dude and provides that much needed edge toughness, he could play DE in a 3/4 or be the OLB in a 3/4 but play it as more of a tough edge defender.  Turner is such a rare athlete with the right coaching he could be awesome, and really he is already pretty there mentally as a football player anyway playing under Nick Saban.

Picking Turner at #11 would have made sense to getting him at #17 was great.  McCarthy could be the issue but I agree at least they did not trade up too high to get him.  They have what 3 draft picks next year.  Think if they would have traded up they would have possibly even less.  Granted the two trades they made in 2024 lost them some picks for next year also.  

Overall not terrible but they potentially gained much needed depth with the lack of picks in 2025 with the UDFA class they got this year which could be pretty solid.  

21 hours ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Picks are so overrated. Yes they are important, but the odds of a 3rd or 4th rounder being any decent is not good. For every Cam Bynum you get, you get Chazz Surratt, Wyan Davis, and Kellen Mond. Or Dru Samia, TJ Clemmings, and the list goes on and on.

Hedging our bets on a guy who is way more likely to be an impact player seeing meaningful snaps, but also has the potential to be an absolute game-wrecker is a no-brainer to me. 

The problem is that every draft expert and fan think they, and only they, know who will be great. So if you don't do exactly as they would, they grade your draft harshly. But if Kiper, McShay and the like were actually as good as people give them credit for, they'd be GMs. We saw how well that worked out with Mayock. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Very true, Turner is not great holding the point of attack but honestly he is much improved in that regard this past year.  And clearly the Vikings are going multiple where they are not a standard 4/3 defense with down DEs on each side.

Based on the moves they have made in free agency with Van Ginkel and Greenard they want edge guys who can zone blitz, either go after the QB or drop into coverage and do so at any point so the OL does not know who is coming and who is not.  Turner is that guy, he is far better in coverage than the stronger more bull rusher DE in Jared Verse.  I would like the Vikings to have a power edge like Verse but again that would not fit what they want with multiple guys who can either rush or drop into coverage on any given play.

Even Jihad Ward who is a big dude and provides that much needed edge toughness, he could play DE in a 3/4 or be the OLB in a 3/4 but play it as more of a tough edge defender.  Turner is such a rare athlete with the right coaching he could be awesome, and really he is already pretty there mentally as a football player anyway playing under Nick Saban.

Picking Turner at #11 would have made sense to getting him at #17 was great.  McCarthy could be the issue but I agree at least they did not trade up too high to get him.  They have what 3 draft picks next year.  Think if they would have traded up they would have possibly even less.  Granted the two trades they made in 2024 lost them some picks for next year also.  

Overall not terrible but they potentially gained much needed depth with the lack of picks in 2025 with the UDFA class they got this year which could be pretty solid.  

I agree with the player’s fitting the scheme (Van Ginkel and Greenard) in a Flores D. I haven’t seen Turner do enough ‘back peddling’ to where I am fully comfortable for him to drop into coverage. That’s a bit IMO diminished impact value from your Edge. I want my edges moving not backwards as a preference. Just like Hunter was not amazing dropping into coverage, sometimes responsibility freezing the player too much and takes away more then intended  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I agree with the player’s fitting the scheme (Van Ginkel and Greenard) in a Flores D. I haven’t seen Turner do enough ‘back peddling’ to where I am fully comfortable for him to drop into coverage. That’s a bit IMO diminished impact value from your Edge. I want my edges moving not backwards as a preference. Just like Hunter was not amazing dropping into coverage, sometimes responsibility freezing the player too much and takes away more then intended  

I agree, that is my assumption and way to rationalize it, especially with Greenard who I feel they greatly overpaid to get and a lot of his success last year was because Will Anderson Jr got all the attention, and Van Ginkel is what 240 pounds only...  Clearly with those guys and Turner they are not a 4/3 defense and lean more to 3/4 which is more multiple and versatile and at times one of those edge guys could very well be Metellus or Smith then it really would be who is dropping and who is rushing in that 3/4.  It would be almost like a 4/2/5 but really would be three down DL then Metellus or Smith would drop or rush and it could be 3 LBs and they are the coverage slot/TE backer or 2 if they blitz.

They are clearly going with speed and quicker guys who are athletic and versatile.  Then when Metellus or Smith come down and line up outside those edge guys, the offense does not know what is going to happen.  But of course a guy like Dallas Turner is not going to drop often but he is better at it potentially than say Jared Verse would be.

As for Dallas being weak at the point of attack, sure he is not Jared Verse pushing guys backwards consistently but look at him here, he totally crushes that Georgia OT in the SEC title.  Sure Greene was a redshirt freshman at the time but could be a potential 1st round pick in 2026 if he stays that long or even a 2nd or 3rd round pick next year.  

Dallas-Turner-sack-1.gif

Does the same here and sure it was not all the time but generally speaking he was very consistent over his three year career and was a star even as a true freshman.  He will get better and improve.

Dallas-Turner-sack.gif

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

The Vikings had to have been sweating bullets when the Bears were on the clock knowing that another team could trade to 9

or they felt confident in sensing what the Bears confirmed after the draft - they always hoped/intended to draft Odunze at 9 and not entertain trade offers.

So maybe the Falcons helped us out after all. Had they taken Odunze, maybe that's when Chicago would consider trading back. They seemed to get their pick in incredibly fast. 

Faster than it took them to take Caleb Williams haha

Because the draft class includes varied positions, we will look strictly at overall PFF grades. However, we will look at everyone the Vikings drafted or signed after going undrafted.

This exercise is because the Vikings will look back on the 2024 NFL Draft class with eternal joy or dark sadness. It will make or break this franchise for the next ten years. That being said, with no added pressure to the group, this is how they rank according to their PFF grades. (Drafted players in bold.)

Dwight McGlothern, Cornerback
PFF Grade: 91.3

J.J. McCarthy, Quarterback
PFF Grade: 90.6

Ty James, Wide Receiver
PFF Grade: 90.2

Bo Richter, Edge rusher
PFF Grade: 89.7

Levi Drake Rodriguez, Defensive lineman
PFF Grade: 89.5

Dallas Gant, Linebacker
PFF Grade: 87

Gabriel Murphy, Edge rusher
PFF Grade: 85.3

Michael Jurgens, Center
PFF Grade: 82.5

Dallas Turner, Edge rusher
PFF Grade: 81.6

Khyree Jackson, Cornerback
PFF Grade: 80.5

Taki Taimani, Defensive lineman
PFF Grade: 76.1

Owen Porter, Linebacker
PFF Grade: 74.5

Walter Rouse, Offensive tackle
PFF Grade: 72

Donovan Manuel, Linebacker
PFF Grade: 70.7

KJ Cloyd, Linebacker
PFF Grade: 67.6

Doug Nester, Offensive tackle
PFF Grade: 67.5

Devron Harper, Wide receiver
PFF Grade: 67.3

Trey Knox, Tight end
PFF Grade: 64.2

Spencer Rolland, Offensive tackle
PFF Grade: 63.5

Jeremy Flax, Guard
PFF Grade: 62.4

Jeshaun Jones, Wide receiver
PFF Grade: 62.3

Tyler Manoa, Defensive lineman
PFF Grade: 56.5

Matthew Cindric, Center
PFF Grade: 51.2

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/ranking-the-vikings-2024-nfl-draft-class-according-to-their-pff-grade/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3zGBQq3bR3VjnBrm_bt7ss2bCdR65SdUw2uPxkqVQY5zHm-j5y2vPRcxs_aem_AW6RGREJKWKCvZAN69SDAJ7XrXUzVBbjIbDAhe_nvS0JjOYijBi991QsIvSjw-p3JxGm75rFU3N-rpYseNQ8W6Uz

Some of us go far back enough to remember cassette and VHS tapes. I know, others go back even further than that. But for a decade between streaming devices and handheld devices with mass amounts of storage, we had Compact Discs.  But in 2024, it’s difficult to even find a device that plays a CD anymore, especially a CD with images on it.

But that’s what the Minnesota Vikings gave their rookies on Friday, when they received their first NFL pictures. Apparently, many rookies have been waiting to get those pics back. And that day came, in CD format.

I would like to laugh and these young kids not understanding the simple joys of life that once were CDs and DVDs. But then, I quickly realized that I would probably have to get my old Playstation 3 out of storage or sit in my car, if I wanted to play a CD. If I wanted to see what what images were on a CD…. I’d not sure what I would do.

In other words, this was a clever way to haze rookies in an age where beating them up or getting them too drunk to function would be frowned upon.

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/minnesota-vikings-rookie-photos-on-cd/

• Like 3

21 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Some of us go far back enough to remember cassette and VHS tapes. I know, others go back even further than that. But for a decade between streaming devices and handheld devices with mass amounts of storage, we had Compact Discs.  But in 2024, it’s difficult to even find a device that plays a CD anymore, especially a CD with images on it.

But that’s what the Minnesota Vikings gave their rookies on Friday, when they received their first NFL pictures. Apparently, many rookies have been waiting to get those pics back. And that day came, in CD format.

I would like to laugh and these young kids not understanding the simple joys of life that once were CDs and DVDs. But then, I quickly realized that I would probably have to get my old Playstation 3 out of storage or sit in my car, if I wanted to play a CD. If I wanted to see what what images were on a CD…. I’d not sure what I would do.

In other words, this was a clever way to haze rookies in an age where beating them up or getting them too drunk to function would be frowned upon.

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/minnesota-vikings-rookie-photos-on-cd/

Coulda been worse...

51PS6N8UqPL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Like 1