Jaguars ink G/C Brandon Linder to 5 year, $51.7M extension

pwny

35 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Undoubtedly the best OL on the team, it's nice to see them locking him up. 

Yeah, just a tish more than I was expecting but he is well on his way to being one of the best C's in the game if we keep him there. With Linder, A-Rob, Telvin, etc. all coming up on FA here soon we need to get some/all of them locked up. Glad Linder looks to be pretty much done.

7 minutes ago, Cheesehead430 said:

Jags having to overpay once again...

Yet we seem to always have the most cap room in the NFL.

Yes, it has some to do with not drafting well for several years and not having guys to lock up but if you are acting like we overpay everyone and give out consistently awful contracts than I really don't think every offseason we would be top 3-5 in salary cap space. 

As for Linder, the guy was ranked 5th for starting centers in the league (according to PFF) in his first year there (played RG year one, played RG yr two before getting hurt and missing the year). If he builds on what he was doing last year this deal will be good imo. He's a key piece of the offense, can't let that walk out the door.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  I'll defer to @iPwn, but that's a ton of change that if IIRC has significant injury question marks.

That's really the question.

PFF rankings are sketchy at best, but they and others had him a top ~8 RG his rookie year, and top 5C this year. However, in between those great performances has been 15 games missed as some nagging injuries that he's been fortunate to be able to play through (albeit at a very high level).

They paid him like the player he's shown to be, as if he hasn't been injured. You expected some sort of injury protection in there, either in decreased guaranteed monies, overall monies, or more of it in some sort of bonus. But they didn't. And it's an overpay in that sense.

We did expect the Trai Turner contract was going to set his market though, and it basically did. He got more years, but a bit lower AAY. 

Given this is only the second player from the Caldwell/Bradley era to get a second contract, and the first deserving of a huge deal, maybe this was a situation where they felt they had to show love for their guy in order to give the sense of "we take care of our own" to make future negotiations a little easier.

But in short for your question - yes. 

13 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yet we seem to always have the most cap room in the NFL.

Yes, it has some to do with not drafting well for several years and not having guys to lock up but if you are acting like we overpay everyone and give out consistently awful contracts than I really don't think every offseason we would be top 3-5 in salary cap space. 

As for Linder, the guy was ranked 5th for starting centers in the league (according to PFF) in his first year there (played RG year one, played RG yr two before getting hurt and missing the year). If he builds on what he was doing last year this deal will be good imo. He's a key piece of the offense, can't let that walk out the door.

Personally I have a problem with paying that much money for a interior lineman with a history of injuries. Don't get me wrong when Linder is on the field he's a very good Center with versatility to shift over. 

I don't think a lot of teams in the NFL would give guys like Allen Hurns, Malik Jackson, and AJ Bouye that type of money and now add Linder to that list.  However the Jags have had the luxury to do that with their cap situation over the past few years. 

I would be uncomfortable even spending that much money on extending a guy like Travis Frederick who in my opinion is the best center in the league right now.  

12 minutes ago, Cheesehead430 said:

Personally I have a problem with paying that much money for a interior lineman with a history of injuries. Don't get me wrong when Linder is on the field he's a very good Center with versatility to shift over. 

I don't think a lot of teams in the NFL would give guys like Allen Hurns, Malik Jackson, and AJ Bouye that type of money and now add Linder to that list.  However the Jags have had the luxury to do that with their cap situation over the past few years. 

I would be uncomfortable even spending that much money on extending a guy like Travis Frederick who in my opinion is the best center in the league right now.  

Malik Jackson has been worth every penny of that contract. Hurns looked like he would have likely been worth his as well but battled injuries last year and had well below average QB play. AJ Bouye is tbd but he did have an elite level season and is very young and could be a long-term key piece. I will say that I'm interested to see how Bouye does without the elite pass rush, but he was going to get paid this offseason either way. When you are a bottom dweller and have been for a while you have to overpay a bit to get talent to come to a place that is in our situation.

If you want to get things turned around and have the means to spend, may as well do it.

Archived