Round 3 Pick 84 Steelers Draft WR Roman Wilson 5'11 185

7 minutes ago, rlon said:

I think people underestimate the importance of the mind over body. If Austin’s mind was on par with his body, he would have done something by now. Wilson has the it factor, he’s a winner.

What measurable does Wilson have better than Austin? It's ok to be hyped up about the new toy but he has competition and is not a sure-fire starter.

7 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

What measurable does Wilson have better than Austin? It's ok to be hyped up about the new toy but he has competition and is not a sure-fire starter.

It’s not always about measurables but Wilson is bigger and stronger. I’m not in the impression that Wilson is a sure fire starter but CAIII is subject to that competition as well. He played a good bit with DJ out and struggled to help fill the void. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

I think my post suggested it has nothing to do with measurables. All that talent and Austin has done next to nothing, minus two deep catches and one punt return. I hope he breaks out, but, if he is so talented, is he weak minded? I hope not…fact is, so many people were on his bandwagon and now it’s a cognitive dissonance issue. Don’t double down until he proves himself ;)

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It’s not always about measurables but Wilson is bigger and stronger. I’m not in the impression that Wilson is a sure fire starter but CAIII is subject to that competition as well. He played a good bit with DJ out and struggled to help fill the void. 

Bigger? Yes/ Stronger? Unknown. As I stated earlier, we had pee-wee level OC plays/playcalls that our underdeveloped QB couldn't execute so of course the WRs starved/under-produced. Randy Moss would have struggled with Pickett and Canada.

1 minute ago, rlon said:

I think my post suggested it has nothing to do with measurables. All that talent and Austin has done next to nothing, minus two deep catches and one punt return. I hope he breaks out, but, if he is so talented, is he weak minded? I hope not…fact is, so many people were on his bandwagon and now it’s a cognitive dissonance issue. Don’t double down until he proves himself ;)

I have faith in what Austin displayed on tape. He will thrive with Russell Wilson/Justin Fields. While many want what they consider a prototype WR 2, I'm comfortable trotting out the fast, quick, shifty munchkins alongside George Pickens. Remember the WRs that Tom Brady used and how they wore out defenses.

On 4/26/2024 at 11:40 PM, armsteeld said:

Start at 1:07:00

Sudden and twitchy is exactly how I'd describe him too.  One of my best friends is a Wolverine FANATIC.  So, with me being a Hawkeye fan, I obviously watch a lot of Big 10 too, but not a Wolverine fan by any means.  He's always talking about them, and I said that there are exactly 2 players on that team who caught my eye:  Wilson and Corrum.  It's hard to really know what you're getting out of Wilson though, due to him simply not getting that much attention or that many touches.  He did flash, a lot though.  I think the Steve Smith comparison is pretty valid.  Diggs, not so much.  In 3, in live time, I told my buddy that I was hoping for one of the 2 Wilsons at our first pick.  We got Roman.  Then, lo and behold, we got the OTHER Wilson, at the next 3rd lol.  (I know in my draft I posted I put McCaffrey in instead, but that's because I was hoping for him in 4 at that time because he was projected later, before the Redskins took him in later 3 - they'll always be the Redskins to me)

On 4/27/2024 at 6:41 AM, SteelersFan2333 said:

I really hate that team up north but absolutely love Roman Wilson. If you give him #86 and put a permanent smile on his face you’ll swear he’s Hines Ward. I never saw him shy away from a block, he gets great separation, has great hands, and is faster than you think. Is he a #2? Maybe, but he’ll kill you in the slot running crosses and you’ll get 110% effort on every play. Personally I believe he can be a #2

I don't see that comparison at all.  Ward was slow.  Wilson is very fast and sudden.  They both like to block.  That's the end of the comparison to me.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Let's be blunt....Roman Wilson is NOT better at Calvin Austin III. A3 is a better route runner and runs every route well. Austin is a better deep threat and tracks the ball better. I like the Wilson pick but reality is, CA3 is the better WR so far.

LOL you're joking, right?!  Come on man.  I don't see any world in which Austin is better than Wilson at anything.  

6 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Bigger? Yes/ Stronger? Unknown. As I stated earlier, we had pee-wee level OC plays/playcalls that our underdeveloped QB couldn't execute so of course the WRs starved/under-produced. Randy Moss would have struggled with Pickett and Canada.

That is one thing that Austin has going for him.  With the QB unable to throw the ball down the field, even the GOAT, SuperFreak, wouldn't have been able to produce.  

Lets hope that they both can do something this year.  Austin definitely has the explosiveness, but he hasn't done anything.  I look at him as a return guy only at this point, but maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised at what they can do this year.  But who knows, we might not have a QB yet this year.  Wilson hasn't been much the last few years, and Fields seemed to get the notion he was a RB in Chicago.

Because these two players are compared:

Calvin Austin RAS 9.06

Roman Wilson RAS 8.59

Just for a point of interest:

Diontae Johnson 4.60

George Pickens 9.37

And non Steelers I’ve seen around compared to CAIII:

Xavier Worthy 9.41

Tyreek Hill 9.46

If Calvin Austin was 100% healthy last year then I have 0 hope for him because his tape was bad (the way he ran routes, moved in and out of breaks, start/stop ability - all things independent of the OC and QB) I was not impressed and I do not think he has a future in the NFL.

My only hope is he was still recovering from his foot injury and we will see a better version this year, which is certainly possible because his college tape was much better.

• Like 1

I think Roman Wilson has all the things we like about Diontae(route running, separation) and none of the things we don't like(bads hands, bad attitude, weak with the ball in his hands). I think he's pretty much a direct replacement for Diontae, and can replace Diontae's production. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think Roman Wilson has all the things we like about Diontae(route running, separation) and none of the things we don't like(bads hands, bad attitude, weak with the ball in his hands). I think he's pretty much a direct replacement for Diontae, and can replace Diontae's production. 

I’d agree with that. I never was a fan of Diontae at all. He could sure run routes and get open, but he was terrible at everything else. I would’ve traded him years ago. I’m glad he’s finally gone.  Pickens is next if he doesn’t change. I wanted Claypool big time, but it didn’t take me long to want him gone either! lol. I don’t have much tolerance for their type of antics.

30 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I’d agree with that. I never was a fan of Diontae at all. He could sure run routes and get open, but he was terrible at everything else. I would’ve traded him years ago. I’m glad he’s finally gone.  Pickens is next if he doesn’t change. I wanted Claypool big time, but it didn’t take me long to want him gone either! lol. I don’t have much tolerance for their type of antics.

It’s so funny, because I’m so on the fence about the antics stuff.  Like, if it’s coming from a good place (IE I won my route and you stared at me but didn’t throw it) or out of coverage frustration (Pickens at times); I’m surprisingly OK with it.  But if it’s hurting the team (DJ giving up on a play), showmanship (Claypool’s first down signal), or jealousy (AB no showing a game because of Juju) I have no tolerance for it.