6.203 - Will Reichard, K, Alabama - #16

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Confirming what we already know.

Hopefully, he is a new chapter in the storied history of our kicking woes. I hate to say that I will not get my hopes up because I can't see this ending in any other way than eventual heartbreak. 

• Like 2

During the team's final OTA, which was moved indoors because of rain, Reichard nearly hit a balcony that is perched on the wall behind -- and above -- the goal posts while moving through a progression of 40+ yard attempts. Later, in a full drill with a defense, he drilled a 60-yarder that landed in a net that sits 10 feet behind the goal post and 10 feet off the ground.

The NFL doesn't award additional points for kicks that sail well above or beyond the goal posts, and Reichard's success as a rookie will depend as much on his mental makeup as it does on his leg strength. But he passed all the tests you could reasonably pose a kicker during spring practices.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40396049/nfl-vikings-jj-mccarthy-start-justin-jefferson

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

During the team's final OTA, which was moved indoors because of rain, Reichard nearly hit a balcony that is perched on the wall behind -- and above -- the goal posts while moving through a progression of 40+ yard attempts. Later, in a full drill with a defense, he drilled a 60-yarder that landed in a net that sits 10 feet behind the goal post and 10 feet off the ground.

The NFL doesn't award additional points for kicks that sail well above or beyond the goal posts, and Reichard's success as a rookie will depend as much on his mental makeup as it does on his leg strength. But he passed all the tests you could reasonably pose a kicker during spring practices.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40396049/nfl-vikings-jj-mccarthy-start-justin-jefferson

If I remember right, people knocked on him for having a weaker leg since his long was 55 yards or something to that effect. It seems as though that is not the case and his leg is really good. Maybe Saban just had PTSD from the Auburn kick return from a decade ago and didn't want to risk that again 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

If I remember right, people knocked on him for having a weaker leg since his long was 55 yards or something to that effect. It seems as though that is not the case and his leg is really good. 

yeah, that's what i read also, that his downside was a "weaker" leg.

but then, i also read he stayed at Alabama for a fifth year of eligibility when he didn't have to (enrolled in a graduate program) to work on his own perceived weakness, which was leg strength.

On 6/26/2024 at 9:16 AM, VikeManDan said:

Reichard breaking the "curse" would be oh so welcomed. Kicking under Saban at Bama probably requires a lot of mental fortitude.

You've already cursed him by bringing it up. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Big respect to Will for winning the job so early and convincingly.

The coaching staff wouldn't call the competition so early and free up the roster spot if they weren't 100% sure!

• Like 2