Post-Draft Chat

Grade Telesco's first draft as Raider GM  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Telesco's first draft as Raider GM

22 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Crazy work right here.  Graded and rankings drafts immediately after they happen will always be crazy business.  It just shows you how much people love football and how they all want the feeling of their team winning.  

Still crazy to see.  I have no idea if the Raiders' draft ranks 11th.  Only time will tell.  And even then, it's all speculative.  And maybe 5-10 team's draft classes will actually become truly impactful.  Anyway, Brugler spends a ton of time doing his job.

2 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Crazy work right here.  Graded and rankings drafts immediately after they happen will always be crazy business.  It just shows you how much people love football and how they all want the feeling of their team winning.  

Still crazy to see.  I have no idea if the Raiders' draft ranks 11th.  Only time will tell.  And even then, it's all speculative.  And maybe 5-10 team's draft classes will actually become truly impactful.  Anyway, Brugler spends a ton of time doing his job.

I've always thought that draft grades were stupid. Think about this the lions got a D grade last year and have there first 4 picks as starters in the NFC championship

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

"The Raiders, picking 13th, had expected to consider a "second wave" of first-round QB prospects that included Michigan's J.J. McCarthy, Washington's Michael Penix Jr. and Oregon's Bo Nix.

Once Las Vegas found itself on the clock, that wave had already crashed ashore."

This is going to be what makes or breaks this regime. They supoosedly expected there to be QBs available, by Telesco's own admission didn't try very hard to move up, and then were surprised when nobody was left. 

Whether one likes the Bowers pick or whatever, it's a puzzling look considering what has been reported, what has come from the horse's mouth, and what in fact occurred. 

If it works out and AOC/Minshew look fabulous or they grab a guy next year and have him surrounded by ridiculous talent, they're going to look like absolute geniuses. 

If it flops, they'll be run out of town quick, because they effectively appear to have fiddled while Rome burned for better or worse. Support them or not, how anyone could have been surprised that the QBs were gone by 13 is at the very least questionable. 

Assuming, that is, that these reports are accurate and valid at all. 

How could anyone have called 6 QBs going in the first 12?  It's literally never happened before.  No team was showing their hand.  It just isn't like that.  Or else we all would've known the Falcons were considering a QB.  Nothing about that is questionable.  At the end of the day, Penix may sit for 3-4 years while Bowers may be a pro bowl player by next year.  Falcons taking Penix just to sit until 27-28 years old and be ready for a contract extension was a really stupid move made by them.  

Anyway, I think we did alright either way.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jerry said:

How could anyone have called 6 QBs going in the first 12?  It's literally never happened before.  No team was showing their hand.  It just isn't like that.  Or else we all would've known the Falcons were considering a QB.  Nothing about that is questionable.  At the end of the day, Penix may sit for 3-4 years while Bowers may be a pro bowl player by next year.  Falcons taking Penix just to sit until 27-28 years old and be ready for a contract extension was a really stupid move made by them.  

Anyway, I think we did alright either way.

Gotta disagree. Some people call it "panicking for a QB". Some call it adjusting when you see what's happening in real time. 

With 6 QBs on the board and picking 13th, I don't think it asks much to be cognizant of the draft order. Chicago, New England, and Washington were locks to take QB. Minnesota and Denver were practically locks. That's 5 out of 6. 

A lot of people discounted Atlanta (I will say I brought them up as a potential QB hurdle given Kirk's age- though Im.still.shocked it wasn't McCarthy they grabbed). You also had the Giants (Jones), Jets (Rodgers and ayahuasca,), Arizona (Murray is still someone I don't consider "safe"). 

Basically, you've got anywhere from 5 to 9 possible landing spots for QBs. You know that QB is your biggest need by a mile. And you mean to tell me that nobody getting paid to do this accounted for that and were totally caught off guard when nobody was left? 

To me, it had to be relatively known that moving up was going to be necessary for a QB. Heck, aside from a few that thought Nix and Penix were going to fall to round 2, the general consensus was that we would need to move up. Coupled with what they themselves have said about it....Idk man, to me that sounds like they got caught with their pants down and had to make the best of what was left. 

Now, I'll caveat with this- if it came out we had zero faith in JJ or Nix, Atlanta taking Penix and us going "F***!" Is understandable. But in the absence of that, as soon as Penix was announced we should've been on the phone with the Jets. Denver and Minny were 100% locked in for QB, and the Jets wouldn't have missed out in their guy by going back to 13. With what Minny gave up, there's no reason we couldn't have beat it other than Telesco's own admission that they didn't try very hard. 

On 4/29/2024 at 6:11 PM, raidr4life said:

Will AOC ever be mobile enough?

For me, I don’t think it’s about mobility per se, but, if you’re a fairly immobile QB then you damn sure better have great pocket presence. Tom Brady was not mobile at all but his pocket presence was superb. I don’t think AOC is ever going to be ‘mobile’ but he should be able to at least add a little bit of mobility, enough to not be a sitting duck in the pocket maybe? Can scramble for the odd 1st down.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Gotta disagree. Some people call it "panicking for a QB". Some call it adjusting when you see what's happening in real time. 

With 6 QBs on the board and picking 13th, I don't think it asks much to be cognizant of the draft order. Chicago, New England, and Washington were locks to take QB. Minnesota and Denver were practically locks. That's 5 out of 6. 

A lot of people discounted Atlanta (I will say I brought them up as a potential QB hurdle given Kirk's age- though Im.still.shocked it wasn't McCarthy they grabbed). You also had the Giants (Jones), Jets (Rodgers and ayahuasca,), Arizona (Murray is still someone I don't consider "safe"). 

Basically, you've got anywhere from 5 to 9 possible landing spots for QBs. You know that QB is your biggest need by a mile. And you mean to tell me that nobody getting paid to do this accounted for that and were totally caught off guard when nobody was left? 

To me, it had to be relatively known that moving up was going to be necessary for a QB. Heck, aside from a few that thought Nix and Penix were going to fall to round 2, the general consensus was that we would need to move up. Coupled with what they themselves have said about it....Idk man, to me that sounds like they got caught with their pants down and had to make the best of what was left. 

Now, I'll caveat with this- if it came out we had zero faith in JJ or Nix, Atlanta taking Penix and us going "F***!" Is understandable. But in the absence of that, as soon as Penix was announced we should've been on the phone with the Jets. Denver and Minny were 100% locked in for QB, and the Jets wouldn't have missed out in their guy by going back to 13. With what Minny gave up, there's no reason we couldn't have beat it other than Telesco's own admission that they didn't try very hard. 

Maybe the coaching staff didn't view McCarthy or Nix as franchise QBs.  I certainly didn't want Nix and McCarthy is a boom or bust, draft for potential type of QB.  The guy made a handful of great plays but was not the primary reason why Michigan won a championship.  It was their run game and defense.  

I think we went into the draft with the mentality that if Penix was there, we took him.  But after that fell through, we decided to stick to the board and draft BPA instead of going with a QB the coaches and scouts may have not wanted.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

"The Raiders, picking 13th, had expected to consider a "second wave" of first-round QB prospects that included Michigan's J.J. McCarthy, Washington's Michael Penix Jr. and Oregon's Bo Nix.

Once Las Vegas found itself on the clock, that wave had already crashed ashore."

This is going to be what makes or breaks this regime. They supoosedly expected there to be QBs available, by Telesco's own admission didn't try very hard to move up, and then were surprised when nobody was left. 

Whether one likes the Bowers pick or whatever, it's a puzzling look considering what has been reported, what has come from the horse's mouth, and what in fact occurred. 

If it works out and AOC/Minshew look fabulous or they grab a guy next year and have him surrounded by ridiculous talent, they're going to look like absolute geniuses. 

If it flops, they'll be run out of town quick, because they effectively appear to have fiddled while Rome burned for better or worse. Support them or not, how anyone could have been surprised that the QBs were gone by 13 is at the very least questionable. 

Assuming, that is, that these reports are accurate and valid at all. 

For what it’s worth, was listening to Hondo Carpenter’s podcast and he claimed the Raiders were specifically interested in only two QBs at the top of the first but knew none of the top three teams picking wouldn’t trade down within reason. 

Maybe the other 4 they had rated as low 1st or even 2nd round picks hence not making an effort to trade up? 

He also said that prior to the draft they’d contacted teams from 1 to 12 to see what the ball park figured for a trade up to their position would be.

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

For what it’s worth, was listening to Hondo Carpenter’s podcast and he claimed the Raiders were specifically interested in only two QBs at the top of the first but knew none of the top three teams picking wouldn’t trade down within reason. 

Maybe the other 4 they had rated as low 1st or even 2nd round picks hence not making an effort to trade up? 

He also said that prior to the draft they’d contacted teams from 1 to 12 to see what the ball park figured for a trade up to their position would be.

Like I said, I believe in response to Jerry, it's certainly possible. Specifically, targeting 2 and Atlanta throwing a curveball. 

Only contention I'd have here is it's Hondo lol. Dude spent the bulk of the last 2 years as McDaniels' personal PR guy. Gonna have to forgive me for being a bit skeptical when it comes to Hondo and explaining potential warts away lol. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Like I said, I believe in response to Jerry, it's certainly possible. Specifically, targeting 2 and Atlanta throwing a curveball. 

Only contention I'd have here is it's Hondo lol. Dude spent the bulk of the last 2 years as McDaniels' personal PR guy. Gonna have to forgive me for being a bit skeptical when it comes to Hondo and explaining potential warts away lol. 

I am not a fan of the majority of our beat writers.  Most of them irritate me.  I dislike their personalities, voices, perspectives, questions, everything.  The only two mainstream guys I enjoy listening to are Paul Gutierrez (ESPN) and Levi Edwards (Raiders Reporter).  The rest are a bunch of turds. Mitch Renz should have to pay to post his videos online.  That dude is straight trash.

7 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I am not a fan of the majority of our beat writers.  Most of them irritate me.  I dislike their personalities, voices, perspectives, questions, everything.  The only two mainstream guys I enjoy listening to are Paul Gutierrez (ESPN) and Levi Edwards (Raiders Reporter).  The rest are a bunch of turds. Mitch Renz should have to pay to post his videos online.  That dude is straight trash.

There was a YouTuber I briefly got into. A 2-3 hour podcast is great for airports. 

But....man he lost me real quick. Gimme the news, not PR and hype. I can get hyped enough myself. Can't remember his name, but yeah, it went from entertaining to mind numbing real quick with the constant fawning. Dude went from Josh and Tom would take us to the Superbowl to Josh is garbage overnight. Like, dude, pick a lane. 

To his credit, he had a lot of agreeable takes like Josh and Zeigler both needed to go instead of toying with keeping Zeigler, Jimmy being a bum signing, AP earning a shot. But he'd go way too hard for anyone he liked to the point of absurdity. He got legit pissed when Nesta was released or sent to the PS or whatever. Dude was a late round flyer, there's no need to be that invested. 

22 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I'm so hungry for Raider content I usually listen to Hondo and I have tuned into Renz a chunk too. I sometimes listen to Locked on Raiders but I feel like the vids are dragged out a ton.

It's such a shame our Athletic guys, Vic and Tashan, are such garbage because I would 100% be subscribing to that platform if anyone else was covering us.

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'm so hungry for Raider content I usually listen to Hondo and I have tuned into Renz a chunk too. I sometimes listen to Locked on Raiders but I feel like the vids are dragged out a ton.

It's such a shame our Athletic guys, Vic and Tashan, are such garbage because I would 100% be subscribing to that platform if anyone else was covering us.

Best content is Tape Don’t Lie. They keep it very real and put out some really detailed breakdowns.

Also like listening the Autumn Windbags pod and enjoy Graphk Raider and Wasted as a guilty pleasure  for s***s and giggles. Massive fan boys, but really funny and get you hyped up.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Oh, absolutely. I take it with a pinch of salt but it does seem to make some sense. I can’t really believe we liked all 6 QBs, that wouldn’t make sense to me if we were just going to take whomever was left, that would just feel like desperation.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I find I listen to a few different people and certainly don’t believe everything word for word. Tape don’t Lie is probably my favourite. Everyone has different motives so maybe take the odd nugget here and there and use a big dose of common sense and skepticism! The curse of social media 😂