Post-Draft Chat

Grade Telesco's first draft as Raider GM  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Telesco's first draft as Raider GM

19 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I hope that isn't true. 

CB was considered a need. 

TE was not. 

That rationale is just bush league. A coin flip between a need and obviously high enough rated player to cause a "coin flip" between he and a luxury TE pick? Really? 

I'd rather just stick to the idea that Bowers was rated so highly nobody else should be considered. 

This

dam I can’t like stuff anymore lol I tried I give up. Site says I’m just gonna be a hater then lol

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I hope that isn't true. 

TE was not. 

That rationale is just bush league. A coin flip between a need and obviously high enough rated player to cause a "coin flip" between he and a luxury TE pick? Really? 

I'd rather just stick to the idea that Bowers was rated so highly nobody else should be considered. 

I think it was AP just making an excuse to Arnold why they didn't take him. It was obvious AP wanted him I think Telesco had final say and decided a top 5 player fell to us I'm going this route. He actually did that with the Chargers I believe it was the draft with Derwin James, everybody said their biggest hole was OL and he went with James. I'm going to double check that.

Yup confirmed it, pff had Derwin James #5 in their ranking. An aging Russell Okung and Joe Barksdale were there starting OT's and was listed as their biggest need. I believe Barksdale was a guy we drafted and dumped. James fell to 17 and Telesco nabbed him. 

Edited by raidr4life

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I hope that isn't true. 

TE was not. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10120328-video-terrion-arnold-says-raiders-made-nfl-draft-coin-flip-between-him-brock-bowers

Here is a video of it.  Total bush league move if they were ranked the same and it came down to coin flip.

Posted (edited)

I don’t doubt that AP or Telesco told Arnold that it was a 50/50 decision.

I seriously doubt that they actually let their #13 draft pick be decided by a coin flip, though. In the 1st round all teams have a draft board and will be prepared for all eventualities. 

The Raiders have done some ridiculous stuff over the years. This would be right up there. But I just can’t see it being a real thing.

Edited by Nightmare
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I don’t doubt that AP or Telesco told Arnold that it was a 50/50 decision.

I seriously doubt that they actually let their #13 draft pick be decided by a coin flip, though. In the 1st round all teams have a draft board and will be prepared for all eventualities. 

The Raiders have done some ridiculous stuff over the years. This would be right up there. But I just can’t see it being a real thing.

Who knows if the coin flip actually happened but knowing the Raiders I wouldn't be surprised.  Clearly it was very close on their board between him and Bowers...

6 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

This

5 hours ago, raidr4life said:

I think it was AP just making an

3 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I don’t doubt that AP or Telesco

3 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Who knows if the coin flip actually 

Biggest worry for me regardless is if indeed AP really wanted someone and our GM overruled. 

I want a HC and GM in the same page for once this decade. I don't even care who the pick is, as neither is necessarily right or wrong. 

AP is a defensive minded HC. I wouldn't be surprised if he skewed towards defense and would have taken BPA at a defensive need over straight up BPA. I'm totally cool with that logic. 

Telesco is...well Telesco is the GM that set the Chargers up with a million shiny weapons and is proof that all the weapons in the world aren't getting you to the post season if actual needs are ignored. If it's a joint venture between the HC and GM to go that route, so be it. It would allow Telesco to prove that the Chargers woes were HC and meddling ownership, not a MUT draft strategy. 

But if they're on different pages to that degree....I'm skeptical about that marriage working out. 

• Like 1

Champ Kelly already somewhat denied this info

Even if AP said this via phone, I guess it is more like a lift up message to a guy he liked and talked a lot during the process I guess

• Like 3

Tom Telesco is a 12 year GM. He studied under the great Bill Polian. He's completely measured and controlled in approach. If you think he made a decision based on a coin flip, then you simply want to feed a narrative. 

It's a figure of speech.

• Like 8

Yeah, the young man was "told" this. (I personally believe it's just AP feel good move) and the media gets ahold of it, click bait + make raiders look silly? That's a win/win for a lot of raider hater hacks....nothing to see here imo. 👍

• Like 2

To add to that, if there WAS a coin flip, I'm pretty sure fuaga has to be in there somewhere. Lol! Obviously most teams didn't have Arnold as high as the media/fans thought. That happens with a 4.5 forty at cb.......jus sayin. Lol

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Tom Telesco is a 12 year GM. He studied under the great Bill Polian. He's completely measured and controlled in approach. If you think he made a decision based on a coin flip, then you simply want to feed a narrative. 

It's a figure of speech.

Amazing he lasted that long, tbh. Dean Spanos is a patient man. Lol. 

Nobody thinks a physical coin flip occurred. It's about the rationale and approach. And I'm noticing a lot of his tendencies and approaches from LA/San Diego...And I can't say whether that's a good or bad thing. We shall see. 

11 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Biggest worry for me regardless is if indeed AP really wanted someone and our GM overruled. 

I want a HC and GM in the same page for once this decade. I don't even care who the pick is, as neither is necessarily right or wrong. 

AP is a defensive minded HC. I wouldn't be surprised if he skewed towards defense and would have taken BPA at a defensive need over straight up BPA. I'm totally cool with that logic. 

Telesco is...well Telesco is the GM that set the Chargers up with a million shiny weapons and is proof that all the weapons in the world aren't getting you to the post season if actual needs are ignored. If it's a joint venture between the HC and GM to go that route, so be it. It would allow Telesco to prove that the Chargers woes were HC and meddling ownership, not a MUT draft strategy. 

But if they're on different pages to that degree....I'm skeptical about that marriage working out. 

Ap gotta learn to not talk so much esp to opponents. It’s a draft no need to explain why you didn’t pick a guy unless it was genuine. Flip side I bet it made bowers feel real confident lol. Some stuff just doesn’t need to be said Imo. Watching the war room videos imo telesco looked like the odd man out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Amazing he lasted that long, tbh. Dean Spanos is a patient man. Lol. 

Nobody thinks a physical coin flip occurred. It's about the rationale and approach. And I'm noticing a lot of his tendencies and approaches from LA/San Diego...And I can't say whether that's a good or bad thing. We shall see. 

Spanos had his hands in everything and is cheap by all accounts. Telesco built some very talented rosters for the Chargers. Coaching and injuries were always a problem. 

This "coin flip" remark from AP has nothing to do with Telesco. Clearly, AP and company had a lot conversations with Arnold and he was likely the pick if Bowers who they didn't expect to be there, was there at 13. 

What tendencies and approaches are you referring to exactly? I was not a Telesco guy mind you.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Ap gotta learn to not talk so much esp to opponents. It’s a draft no need to explain why you didn’t pick a guy unless it was genuine. Flip side I bet it made bowers feel real confident lol. Some stuff just doesn’t need to be said Imo. Watching the war room videos imo telesco looked like the odd man out. 

Post them. Because that is not what I saw. Outside he's a buttoned up working stiff compared to the coaching staff.