What Were the Weirdest Picks in the 2024 NFL Draft?

PossibleCabbage

10 minutes ago, jebrick said:

That was the Bears last pick in the draft so I get it

Chicago:

1.1 QB Caleb Williams, USC
1.9 WR Rome Odunze, Washington
3.75 OT Kiran Amegadjie, Yale
4.122 P Tory Taylor, Iowa
5.144 EDGE Austin Booker, Kansas

9 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Chicago:

Well the GM was in the restroom taking a massive dump and we were on the clock and...we panicked.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Soko said:

LT vs RT is a distinction that gets way too vastly overrated tbh, at least in the modern NFL.

I think the concern is how mentally hard it is on a player when they need to transition to a different side. Sewell initially struggled at RT his rookie season but eventually got over it but not every prospect is as talented as Sewell. Wirf apparently got a therapist to preemptively help him when he switched from RT to LT. Hopefully Alt also smoothly transitions over to RT. His main advantage is that he’s used to playing different positions throughout his short career and Duke Manyweather seem confident he can. So we’ll hopefully see.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/buccaneers-tristan-wirfs-opens-up-about-seeing-psychologist-over-switch-to-left-tackle-explains-benefits/amp/

• Like 2

Weird pick but I wouldn't fault anyone for picking Alt.  Dude is going to be a stud tackle for a long time.  Build those trenches.

I love the Punter Pick by the bears.  Even if you stop Caleb, Swift, DJ Moore and the monster 3rd down Allen and insane contested catch Odunze, now you're going to have bad field position.  Hope this guy is booming punts inside the 20 for a decade plus in Arlington.

Contested Catch rate:

MHJ: 43%

Nabers: 45%

Oduzne: 75%

Edited by KCPiggies

Penix has to top the list.  The logic of the pick just doesn't make sense.  Taking a punter in the 4th round after taking your franchise QB and adding your future #1 WR just seems silly.  It's silly to take a punter in the 4th anyway bc it almost never pans out, but makes even less sense when you're trying to build an offense around your rookie QB.

7 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Chicago:

It still technically was the Bears last pick in the draft.

They just happened to trade back in to the draft with a future pick for Booker later.  😆

Honestly, if they'd flipped the order of those two picks, it'd probably look less weird.  But it worked out that they got both anyway, so...  🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tugboat said:

This first part is all 100% irrelevant though.  Pass rushers come from everywhere.  Heck, some of the most damaging come from the interior these days.  Or especially on stunts, twists and other little games.  But that doesn't change how you set up your protection schemes.  Left to Right and Inside Out.  You rarely see any sort of double team help to the LT, or even TEs brought in just to help out.  RT are far more often given at least a TE chip to give them time to gain their depth against a good Left End rusher.  Or help from a RG to protect against inside counters.  etc.  Things that help "mask" a RT being a lesser athlete than a Prototype LT.

And why is that? 

You think if you had Sewell at RT and Walker Little at LT, that all those things would still be true? You scheme to your strength. Usually your LT is your better pass protector. Chicken vs egg.

Like i said...obviously having a quality RT has increased in importance.  But that doesn't change the way that schemes are drawn up.  It doesn't change a prospects ability to magically learn RT footwork and hand placement and feel for space, after spending their entire meaningful career playing everything at LT with the opposite.  Some can do it.  Some cannot.  Alt hasn't demonstrated anything on tape that shows he can make the switch, and he looked like absolute trash even in just drills in gym shorts at the combine.  That's what i don't get about it.

And i don't disagree at all on the idea that some prospects show aptitude and ability that lends itself to a position switch.  Others do not.  And that's what my whole gripe here is about.

What type of aptitude has Alt not shown in being able to play RT, other than just literally not playing RT?

In the same sense that you note certain elite pass rushers often come off that LE/RT side.  It's because that's the way the scheme is drawn up.  It's also because that's the way some elite pass rushers just bend the edge better.  They're just better and more comfortable there.  Doesn't make them "better" or "worse" per se.  It just means they're better at doing one thing compared to the other.  Which is literally the exact thing that i don't understand about this Joe Alt pick.  It's what makes it "weird" to me.  Plus the "value" proposition of it all, where LTs are still valued more than pure RTs in general.

Except I’ve never seen a prospect/pick dinged because “oh no, we have two right ends now”. No, you just naturally expect guys on the defensive side to be able to do both. You expect some guys who have never 3-tech’d to be to good 3-techs. Some to play 5. You just have expectations because they’re dancing bear level athletes that are entering a professional setting with professional coaches, and you expect their game to develop. Only at tackle do I ever see that expectation the exact 180.

It's not that taking a RT at 5 would even be "bad" per se.  It's just that selecting a LT to play RT at 5 is dumb and weird.  And terrible value, because there is still a noticeable premium on guys who can hold their own at LT in the NFL.

Lane and Sewell are stupid picks? 

Edited by Soko

The Chargers taking Alt over Nabers or Odunze. They already have Slater at LT and Alt should be a LT. Slater is a stud and I truly believe Alt will be a stud. The Chargers shouldve done what the Bengals did when they chose Chase over Sewell. As a matter of fact the Bengals needed Sewell more than Chase. Again I dont think the Chargers needed Alt. They needed Nabers or Odunze more. And I feel bad for Nabers bc he went to the Giants. I wouldve much rather him go to the Chargers and play with Herbert. He wont have a QB worth anything until next season when the Giants draft a QB in the 1st round and move off of Jones. So yeah I just thought it was weird the Chargers took a stud LT in Alt and they will play him at RT. 

14 minutes ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

Atlanta choosing Ruke over Newton and Fiske.

New England drafting Milton in the same draft as Maye.

Spencer Rattler falling as far as he did.

49ers using their first round pick on Pearsall.

And the Niners not just taking Pearsall but not moving off of Aiyuk or Deebo. You have to feel like they will move off of one of them either before the season starts or at the trade deadline. I cant imagine the Niners keeping all three throughout the entire season. 

20 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

And the Niners not just taking Pearsall but not moving off of Aiyuk or Deebo. You have to feel like they will move off of one of them either before the season starts or at the trade deadline. I cant imagine the Niners keeping all three throughout the entire season. 

I feel pretty comfortable they'll keep all three for the season. And I don't think they are going to trade one at the deadline if they are trying to win a super bowl. That would be weird. 

Maybe there's a chance Jennings goes though. Given the niche role, I could see them pull the Jeff Wilson thing and move him given he is likely gone next year as well.

Deebo almost certainly gone next year though