Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2024 (All Up)

goldfishwars

1 hour ago, Sad People said:

Cheers for the help. I will give it a try next time.

Tried it. But both links and the embed link came up red within the "Inset image from URL" which is odd.

Are you copying the embed link, URL link, or the gif? 

I primarily use my phone when posting here, not sure if that makes a difference. But I copy/paste the image, not the link or embed. I don’t know if it makes a difference.

21 minutes ago, Soko said:

Are you copying the embed link, URL link, or the gif? 

I primarily use my phone when posting here, not sure if that makes a difference. But I copy/paste the image, not the link or embed. I don’t know if it makes a difference.

I tried all of the above. Maybe the phone does have something to do with it. Which would be incredibly odd. 

33 minutes ago, Sad People said:

I tried all of the above. Maybe the phone does have something to do with it. Which would be incredibly odd. 

Alright last chance, lol. Here’s a gif I got into post: 

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952cl2et5ike8j9k0uexyg

Here is the link just typed into the post: 

https://media3.giphy.com/media/jtztUtoPrWxJMmafsT/200w.gif?cid=6c09b952cl2et5ike8j9k0uexyg4vdswpvk37o7iltzoatrn&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

Also didn’t realize that, on the phone, whatever image you paste into the post auto-displays the image, unless you click “display link”. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm not even sure this is applicable to the Falcons/Penix situation.  Like in each case when the Packers did it the last two cycles it was with an entrenched starter who was showing clear signs of being on the decline.  They spent the 24th pick on a 22 year old Aaron Rodgers, and the 26th pick on a 21 year old Jordan Love.  This is a fundamentally different approach than spending the 8th pick on a Michael Penix Jr. who turns 24 next week.

Like I get that the QB thirst was somewhat deranged since by all accounts next year's class is trash, but even if the logic behind the strategy makes sense (keep Kirk for two years then pass the torch) the particulars of the resources involved are very peculiar.

Like if the Rams drafted Michael Penix Jr. *that* might have been the Green Bay QB model.  I think the Falcons were doing a new thing that I don't think will catch on.

Yeah that’s what I wrote 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

29. Tennessee Titans

73473837007-ds-42624-titans-aj-latham-009.jpg?crop=5333,3999,x600,y0

This Class In One Sentence:

More than an eery echo of Titans drafts of recent memory

Pre-Draft Needs (According to https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/team-needs-2024)

OT, WR, EDGE, CB, DL, IOL, TE

Selections

7. JC Latham | OT | Alabama

38. T'Vondre Sweat | DL | Texas

106. Cedric Gray | LB | North Carolina

146. Jarvis Brownlee | CB | Louisville

182. Jha'Quan Jackson | WR | Tulane

242. James Williams | S | Miami (Fla.)

252. Jaylen Harrell | EDGE | Michigan

Best Pick

I did like the Jarvis Brownlee selection at 146. He’s an almost comically physical cornerback who loves to mix it up. He was a late call up to the Senior Bowl and immediately showed some dominant reps in a tough environment to shine. He’s grabbier than you would like, and will be penalised unless that is cleaned up – but I think he’s tough enough to find a way into the rotation at corner.

Worst Pick

I do like T’Vondre Sweat the Player better than many seem to, but there doesn’t appear to have been much of a discount applied for a prospect who appeared determined to self-inflict damage to his stock. The fact the previous Titans regime was stung for risky draft selections, draws an additional unwanted focus to a team who’ve had an unexpectedly flashy off-season.

Removing the justified off-the-field concerns about his weight and decision-making, he was able to consistently reset the line of scrimmage at Texas in his final season there. He was the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year and showed he is capable of being more than a 2 down gap plugger with surprising agility and powerful hands.

Overall

I expected JC Latham to be the pivot at 7 if Joe Alt was gone. And Joe Alt was so often the mock selection to the Titans, that you knew reality wouldn’t make it so. I like Latham, it was clear the NFL really liked him. He’s a massive human-wrecking ball of a right tackle and gets to work with a legend of an offensive line coach. There have just been so many ‘can’t-miss’ Alabama tackles who were too big and powerful to fail in the NFL, only to fall short of expectations that it makes you nervous. And it's not fair to scout the helmet over the player, but it's at the back of your mind enough to wonder what offers the Titans were getting.

Elsewhere, Cedric Gray is a good hitter who is talented enough to start in a barren linebacker corps. He seems to love the game, without having the most natural feel for it. Jha'Quan Jackson is a tiny slot receiver but has a chance to make his name in the return game. James Williams has some early draft hype due to his size, but looked far too stiff at the Senior Bowl to make a name for himself in the NFL. Jaylen Harrell was one of a few late-round pass-rushers I liked, and has a wicked spin move.

Edited by goldfishwars
  • Like 6

28. Jacksonville Jaguars

jaguarsgmtrentbaalke.jpg

This Class In One Sentence:

At this point is difficult to work out if Baalke is more GM or length fetishist

Pre-Draft Needs (According to https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/team-needs-2024)

CB, WR, EDGE, DL, IOL, OT, S

Selections

23. Brian Thomas Jr. | WR | LSU

48. Maason Smith | DL | LSU

96. Jarrian Jones | CB | Florida State

114. Javon Foster | OT | Missouri

116. Jordan Jefferson | DL | LSU

153. Deantre Prince | CB | Mississippi

167. Keilan Robinson | RB | Texas

212. Cam Little | K | Arkansas

Best Pick

I liked the little trade back which netted 2025 3rd and 4th rounders from the Vikings. That’s a good bit of business. And to be able to still select Brian Thomas, who many had paired with the Jags at 17, at 23 is pretty sweet. He’s a field-stretching vertical receiver, who is a fluid athlete at 6’3. He tracks a deep ball exceptionally well and can shake defenders on quick cuts as a route runner. There are statistical red flags including a below-threshold YPRR which adds to a nagging suspicion he might tantalise and deceive at the next level - but the athletic traits are exceptional and worth betting on.

Worst Pick

Ah man, it’s Maason Smith at 48 and it wouldn’t have been if he had gone a round later. There’s stuff to like about Smith, mostly in his physical profile, but it’s such a Baalke move to take a notably underperforming college player because the 35-inch arms and 84-inch wingspan got him excited. He’s been unlucky with injury and flashed that overwhelming 5-star power at times, but the evaluation is very much too incomplete to justify a selection over the likes of Kris Jenkins.

Overall

The Arms Inspector and Press Conference Flatulator has put together a class with few sure things after the Brian Thomas selection – who himself, is a bet on size/weight/speed. There’s a middling run on role players after the surprise at 48, with speedy Jarrion Jones being a little thin and straight line to answer the starting call at boundary cornerback. Similarly, Javon Foster is a little robotic as a blocker to challenge for starting snaps but is a decent enough swing tackle bet.

Jordan Jefferson notably tore Christian Haynes’s helmet off at the Senior Bowl after losing patience which wasn’t a great look. But he’s a relatively long and powerful dude without being agile. I do like that he’s being paired up with his old teammate, even if I preferred the third LSU defensive lineman to both. Deantre Prince is another height/weight/speed bet which is what you look for in the sixth round. Keilan Robinson is a special teams ace, and probably a selection made with one eye on the new kick-return rule.

• Like 3

The Titans draft will heavily depend on coaching it seems. Bill Callahan reportedly loved Latham. I don't really like Latham as a T at all, but as I said in the Titans forum, Bill Callahan has earned the right to get who he wants on the offensive line.

Defensively, we seem to be going all in on trying to recreate the Ravens defense. Hiring Dennard Wilson at DC, trading for Sneed and signing Awuzie at corner to pair with McCreary(3 super physical corners) now being added to with Brownlee in the draft, drafting Sweat to be our Michael Pierce(with Simmons taking the Madubuike role), etc.

I have confidence in Bill to develop offensive linemen so I'm not too worried about the Latham pick, but going all in on trying to recreate the Ravens defense could seriously flop if Wilson is unable to match Macdonald as a play caller/schemer.

If the team fails, guess you can't say it's due to Ran Carthon not doing everything he could to get pieces for the schemes we're wanting to put in place.

• Like 3

I’m actually surprised to see the Titans this low. I don’t disagree, since I thought Latham was a slight reach, Sweat a severe reach (I had him as a third rounder without the DUI), and as you alluded to, they probably could have gotten very similar results for those picks and some additional ones by trading down.

But I do see some grading the Titans much higher if they like Sweat. He’s a bit of a divisive prospect.

I actually really liked the Titans’ Day 3 picks. I think they pretty much had an A day there, but Day 3 is the smallest impact, so that doesn’t help a really miffed Day 1 and 2.

• Like 1

That's about where I had the Texans draft.  

Lassister and Stover were my two favorite picks we made. I believe both will be contributers as a rookie.

We have a need at safety, a safety that can force turnovers is something we have been lacking since forever and we got one in Bullock.  I'm interested to see how soon he will be able to contribute.

I didn't expect us to take an OL'man that early, but I get the reasoning. We were banged up on the OL all last season.  Fisher will provide depth and start in case Tunsil or Howard gets hurt. 

I believe Marcus Harris will be a steal where he was selected.  Some people had a 5th round grade on him and we got him round 7.  I wouldnt be surprised if he is in the DT rotation by season's end. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sad People said:

Best read on the website.

I already know my Vikings arent going to be high on the list.

I don't like JJ at all, but if someone does, you all would be high. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I’m actually surprised to see the Titans this low. I don’t disagree, since I thought Latham was a slight reach, Sweat a severe reach (I had him as a third rounder without the DUI), and as you alluded to, they probably could have gotten very similar results for those picks and some additional ones by trading down.

But I do see some grading the Titans much higher if they like Sweat. He’s a bit of a divisive prospect.

I actually really liked the Titans’ Day 3 picks. I think they pretty much had an A day there, but Day 3 is the smallest impact, so that doesn’t help a really miffed Day 1 and 2.

Yeah, I expected the Titans to be in the bottom half, but not 29. I really like the picks of Gray and Brownlee. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't like JJ at all, but if someone does, you all would be high. 

If he was thrust into the starting role right way id hate it. But hes going to be groomed and will only start once he meets some thresholds set my KOC and only KOC himself can determine when he meets said thresholds. (I hope he sits the entire year though, take the up and down year on the chin with Darnold and move forward with JJ in 25) So it sounds like they have a plan in place for him which i like. He was my QB5 this year behind Penix ahead of Nix. So its fine. IMO, theres definitely something there when it comes to JJ but it needs to be untapped. Also his comp being Alex Smith is worrisome lol

I know goldfish didnt like our trade ups (I didnt mind them at all) so i think thats why he will be a bit lower on his list.

Edited by Sad People

• goldfishwars changed the title to Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2024 (All Up)