Brendon Rice

mdonnelly21

13 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

He was much more athletic than Keon Coleman

That’s not true. On tape, it’s pretty obvious that Rice is slow and stiff. Pretty much every scouting report stated as much. Rice feasted on slants and posts against zone defense. He rarely could beat a defender 1-1 and when he did, it wasn’t with speed or agility.

Keon Coleman is significantly more athletic/fast, regardless of what combine numbers say. Idk even what they were, but the tape is pretty clear. Rice isn’t a separator, nor was he someone who could RAC. Nor was he a contested catch beast. He does nothing at a + level. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Armbar said:

He does nothing at a + level. 

That is because he is a B level WR who should have been drafted in the mid rounds. Better prospect than Luke McCaffrey.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Armbar said:

That’s not true. On tape, it’s pretty obvious that Rice is slow and stiff. Pretty much every scouting report stated as much. Rice feasted on slants and posts against zone defense. He rarely could beat a defender 1-1 and when he did, it wasn’t with speed or agility.

Keon Coleman is significantly more athletic/fast, regardless of what combine numbers say. Idk even what they were, but the tape is pretty clear. Rice isn’t a separator, nor was he someone who could RAC. Nor was he a contested catch beast. He does nothing at a + level. 

The few scouting reports I read say he has sprinter speed out of the gates and can take advantage of vertical routes. Also says he is physical and uses his hands well to get open on short routes. They do mention he has a stiff mid section and doesn't stop very well but again all prospects will have their cons.  Bottom line is he got open enough to out-produce Keon Coleman and many other WRs and most boards had him as a fringe top 100 prospect.  Yes he fell, as did guys like Mahogany, Taylor III, and Wingo.  That doesn't mean they are bad prospects, it means some teams would rather the boom/bust potential of guys like Giovanni Manu or others instead.  But I bet Rice has a better career than half of the WR's drafted ahead of him.   

On 5/8/2024 at 8:59 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

People in here saying he only got drafted because of his last name must have missed that Tariq Owens and Frank Gore Jr both went undrafted.  And those claiming he doesn't have great speed or it takes too long to build up his speed are also too stuck on 40 times which is the combine test that has the least correlation to NFL success for WR's.  Rice is a deep threat WR primarily shown by his 18 yards per catch and 12 TDs this year.  But that's not his only trick.  I think he vastly outplays his draft spot and has become underrated with some guys getting drafted higher with worse speed and worse stats and worse agility like Ja'lynn Polk, Johnny Wilson, Javon Baker, etc and I think he has a better career than them.  He was much more athletic than Keon Coleman who went early 2nd round and although I think Coleman obviously has other traits I like better than Rice, but you can't say he isn't athletic enough when guys like Coleman go in round 2.      

Part of why the 40-time is a fairly poor indicator is because of exactly the sort of elements that Brenden Rice struggles with.  Rarely do you have a receiver just running 40 yards in a straight line.  He might be going "sprinter fast" when he gets there, but it's just not a real "football play".  It's quickness, fluidity, change of direction, and acceleration that tend to matter more.  That's why, measurably...Rice's 40-time showed that what he has is "build up speed".  The kind of thing that makes a 40-time less relevant.  When it takes the guy 40 yards in a straight line to really get "up to speed".  That's where...whatever his 40 time is...the very high trap speed indicates that his "functional speed" is actually much much worse than this 40 yard time.

There's a lot more to athleticism than just 40 times.  But that's exactly where Rice falls flat.  When you actually watch him...he's stiff and sluggish, with real "build up speed" that has limited usefulness and versatility.  That's why people say his athleticism is a problem.

Keon Coleman isn't "blazing fast" in a straight line.  But he's comparatively, extremely smooth and fluid and controlled in his movements.  And far more effective in change of direction and short area burst to...run actual routes.  And as you said, with a ton of other elements to his game to like over Rice by a wide margin.

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Keon Coleman isn't "blazing fast" in a straight line.  But he's comparatively, extremely smooth and fluid and controlled in his movements. 

Yup. 

On 5/9/2024 at 10:15 AM, TVScout said:

That is because he is a B level WR who should have been drafted in the mid rounds. Better prospect than Luke McCaffrey.

What makes him a better prospect than McCaffrey? Just curious. 

10 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Length and strength matter. Luke is a short armed finesse player who could struggle mightily against physical DBs. Brenden relishes in his ability to bully DBs and make the contested catch. He is also a raging bull after the catch. The only advantage Luke has is timed speed. In game tape that I have watched that difference really doesn't exist.

The guy who:

• Is the son of arguably the greatest player in league history

• played at USC in the LA market

• drafted into the LA market

• plays the second most media-focused position

• was thrown to by a Heisman QB/#1 overall pick

is underrated by fans and media?…

• Like 2

21 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I'd have taken Luke over rice. I was fading Rice for a lot of the draft season, though I thought he'd go higher than the 7th

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd have taken Luke over rice. I was fading Rice for a lot of the draft season, though I thought he'd go higher than the 7th

I had Luke 67 on my Big Board. Probably higher than most.

• Like 3