2024 Vikings 53-Man "Final" Roster

13 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

From the press conferences of both KOC and Kwesi it seems the team wanted more experience at QB3.  Last season and “being 2 plays away” from the third QB were primary reason for adding Rypien.   The team wants to develop Hall more should he choose to return to the PS.  The team wasn’t comfortable with Hall possibly having to play any meaningful time this year. 
A couple additional reasons could be more competition at QB2, wanting more QB depth, and preparing for the future (2025) without Darnold and Mullins. 

Why would anyone be comfy with Rypien playing? That's the part I don't get. He's not good. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Why would anyone be comfy with Rypien playing? That's the part I don't get. He's not good. 

IDK.   There were some reports that Hall suffered a leg injury in the last preseason game.  So maybe a placeholder until he is healthy.  

• Like 1

Yeah, at some point you need to consider the fact that Hall may not be worth developing. Live game reps would help be a determining factor obviously.

Again, probably a moot point discussing it since we, as a team, wouldn't be doing anything of note with QB3 under center.

• Like 2

Kwesi: "Jaren Hall has done a great job for us. Obviously, he had really improved over the preseason. We talk, and I use that 'development' word a lot. And with quarterbacks, you don't want to throw these guys in too early. And I think with him, we just want more time to where we're going to."

"I've learned from last season that you're either one snap away or one snap from being one snap away. We just wanted to be in a position where we felt, you know, adding Brett to the room feels good. We feel good about that decision, but also giving us more time to pour into Jaren and work with him if he so chooses to do that."

KOC: "I fully believe in Jaren's future. I believe that we brought Jaren here for a long-term process that, quite honestly, you guys have heard me talk about quarterback journeys a lot. That timeline got sped up when we went through the numbers at the position we did a year ago."

"And all Jaren has done, you know, since that is do all the right things, improve. I thought he was, you know, showing a lot of those things in the preseason action. That move was really indicative of knowing what we went through last year, having the opportunity to have a couple veteran guys behind Sam that give us an opportunity, with comfort in the system."

"Brett has some exposure to, you know, different variations of our system that will give him a fast-track timeline. And just knowing where he's at mentally, the type of preseason he had, it gives us a little bit more of a short-term kind of foundational plan for a week from Sunday versus what might be in Jaren Hall's best interest for what's best for his career."

vikings.com

Edited by vike daddy

Brett Rypien's cousin Rick passed away after six seasons in the NHL, taking his own life after a hard-fought battle with clinical depression.

Rypien was 15 years old when Rick died at age 27. Rypien has become a mental health advocate, noting that "at some point or another, everyone goes through their own struggle with mental health."

In 2020, Rypien represented Mental Health America for the NFL's My Cause My Cleats campaign, donning kicks that had "Break the Stigma" stenciled on one cleat and Rick's jersey No. 37 on the other.

https://www.vikings.com/news/brett-rypien-quarterback-5-things-to-know

• Like 1

The Vikings’ decision to cut running back Kene Nwangwu came as a surprise to many who assumed he was going to be the kick returner this season. It starts to make more sense when listening to general manger Kwesi Adofo-Mensah and head coach Kevin O’Connell talk about running back Myles Gaskin.

Kwesi: “I want to make it more about Myles, he just has a really diverse skill set to help us. 

KOC: "We felt like he earned the opportunity, that’s really where that decision kind of went. You have to be aware where, maybe, if we overvalue any particular individual role. It’s not as easy just to keep that position in a vacuum as it once was. His versatility to really be a true three-down back. The work he’s put in that really changed his physical style as a player."

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-vikings-picked-myles-gaskin-150600328.html

The following players have changed their jersey numbers from what they wore during training camp:

• Stephon Gilmore – 2
  • Brian Asamoah II – 6
  • Will Reichard – 16
  • Fabian Moreau – 23
  • Nahshon Wright – 25
  • Theo Jackson – 26
  • Bobby McCain – 28
  • Dwight McGlothern – 29

Additionally, the Vikings announced newly added quarterback Brett Rypien will wear No. 19.

The following practice squad players who were added after training camp have been assigned these numbers:

• Zavier Scott – 36
  • Ricky Lee III – 63

vikings.com

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

My “get off my lawn” take continues to be my dislike of the NFL adopting the college numbering system. 

Meh, I don't get why anyone cares, but lots of people do! I mean, bring on the ads on jerseys for all I care. I'm here for the play.

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

yeah, but will we go to three digit jersey numbers someday...?

No. 

I can’t see the league expanding the rosters to create the need, and most teams aren’t retiring numbers anymore (which I still think is an odd practice in the first place).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

No. 

I can’t see the league expanding the rosters to create the need, and most teams aren’t retiring numbers anymore (which I still think is an odd practice in the first place).

i was just kidding about the three digit jerseys, i should have added an lol....