2024 Vikings 53-Man "Final" Roster

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The expansion of the practice squads helped with a lot of that. 

Sure but still does seem odd a team that runs a 3/4 and wants edge depth would not sign Ritcher or Carter who are both promising edge players.

Benton Whitley is on the Giants active roster I believe and was last year, I feel long term Carter and Ritcher could be better than him.  But great for the Vikings to be able to keep them.  They did not want Owen Porter which is a surprise but only so many spots of course.  

Atlanta is one team that has pretty crappy 3/4 OLB depth, same with the Bucs possibly especially if those top two edge rushers are hurt.  Chargers are another one with how often Bosa gets hurt and Dupree etc...

Edited by Ozzy

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I guess there is one they missed, Lewis Cine signed to the Jets practice squad.  Curious if that means the Vikings have first pick on him to the practice squad and they did not want him?   Not a huge surprise he found another team, honestly Jay Ward would not have been signed by the Jets or to any other practice squad, he could have been hid on the practice squad much easier.

Good luck to Lewis though, is curious if the Vikings did not want him but clearly took McCain who is more experienced at safety over Cine which I guess was the original thought when training camp started.  

Jay Ward has CB/S flexibility so chances are slim we could have stashed him. 

I think that's why McCain made the PS for us because he has the same versatility.

47 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Jay Ward has CB/S flexibility so chances are slim we could have stashed him. 

I think that's why McCain made the PS for us because he has the same versatility.

True it is possible they like Ward long term and his versatility, and he did actually play last year when Lewis Cine did not.

Really would be interesting if Lewis Cine was declined a spot on the Vikings practice squad then went off to the Jets or could the Jets take him first since the Vikings cut him?  Either way say Ward or Cine were both on the market at the same time, my guess is Cine would get more interest than Ward.

Not sure Jay Ward will stick around the Vikings long but maybe, he sure did not show up much this preseason I thought.  

Darnay Holmes was picked up by the Raiders, I believe to the active roster which I am not surprised by.  Michael Pratt was picked up by the Bucs and put on their practice squad so maybe a guy when cut has to be cleared by every team and every practice squad before signing with the practice squad of the team that cut them?

• Like 1

Eligible players must clear waivers. If a team puts in a claim on a player they must be willing to put them on their 53-man roster. If a player clears waivers they're eligible to sign with whatever team they want.

For example, Bo Richter apparently turned down multiple offers from other teams to join their practice squad and chose to sign with the Vikings. There is no order/priority for joining a practice squad that I'm aware of.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

curious Risner is not on there but clearly he is crazy injured or will be long term obviously

I thought that I read that Risner was moved to IR. If that happened, you no longer need to be curious why Risner is not on the practice squad -- it isn't an option. To put Risner on the practice squad he would first need to be cut and clear waivers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Eligible players must clear waivers. If a team puts in a claim on a player they must be willing to put them on their 53-man roster. If a player clears waivers they're eligible to sign with whatever team they want.

For example, Bo Richter apparently turned down multiple offers from other teams to join their practice squad and chose to sign with the Vikings. There is no order/priority for joining a practice squad that I'm aware of.

I did not know they could sign with any teams practice squad they want when that team comes calling after clearing waivers and not being on any active roster.

I guess that makes more sense as to why a lot of guys can make it on that same teams practice squad because unless they hate the organization or coaches, of course they would pick what they are familiar with and where they are currently living potentially to sign on as a practice squad player.

But again would be curious to know, did Lewis Cine not get an invite to the Vikings practice squad or did he pick the Jets out of all of the other options to get a new environment.  Good information though, thanks.

Apparently this is what practice squad guys get paid per week at the moment.  18 week season.

"Rookies and second-year players will earn a minimum of $12,500 for every week they spend on a practice squad. The minimum for veterans with at least three years of experience is $16,800 per week with the maximum salary set at $21,300 per week."

33 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Apparently this is what practice squad guys get paid per week at the moment.  18 week season.

"Rookies and second-year players will earn a minimum of $12,500 for every week they spend on a practice squad. The minimum for veterans with at least three years of experience is $16,800 per week with the maximum salary set at $21,300 per week."

You kind of touched on it in the paragraph above, but to further clarify sometimes players pick one team's practice squad over another because one team offers a higher salary than others. As you mentioned, sometime players just want to leave a team and other times players would rather stay where they are familiar. I believe sometimes player agents convince a player they have a better chance of working up to a 53-man roster on particular teams.

My guess is that Cine signed for the minimum practice squad salary with the Jets. If that turns out to be true, we can assume that he didn't pick them over other teams for a higher offered practice squad salary.

Like you, I am curious whether the Vikings even offered Cine a minimum practice squad salary.  I would guess not. I believe they judged him to not possess NFL level skill. They saved no money by cutting the guy given his guaranteed salary.

Edited to add:

I just saw that Cine ditched his initial plan of going to the Jets to instead go to the Bills. It is highly likely that the Bills offered Cine a higher practice squad salary than the minimum in order to convince him to change his mind. If so, that's good news for the Vikings if Cine's rookie contract allows the Vikings to subtract Cine's earnings from the amount of guaranteed salary they have to pay him this year.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

It is highly likely that the Bills offered Cine a higher practice squad salary than the minimum in order to convince him to change his mind

There’s no salary to negotiate with Cine. Since he doesn’t have 3 accrued seasons, his practice squad salary is fixed at $12,500 per week. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

There’s no salary to negotiate with Cine. Since he doesn’t have 3 accrued seasons, his practice squad salary is fixed at $12,500 per week. 

Thanks for the clarification. The quote in Ozzy's post mentioned a minimum for such players. From that I inferred there was a range. Indeed, it looks like you are right that there is a fixed salary. I suppose that fixed salary is a minimum as well as a maximum.  Calling it either of those, while technically not wrong, is strange to me.  I am glad you clarified it. Thanks

• Like 2