53-Man Roster Projection: Post-Draft Edition

11 minutes ago, sinceAtikevike said:

If he isn't QB1 by OTA 3 then cut his bottom!

I'm interested in how/if the Vikings can game the emergency QB rule to "create" an additional roster spot (mentioned a few pages back). If McCarthy needs time (totally reasonable for a rookie 21 year old to need refinement and more time to learn the system backwards-and-forwards before he plays in the regular season), it sounded like someone was saying the team could roster Darnold at QB1, McCarthy at QB2, but utilize Mullins (from the practice squad) as the actual backup (if Darnold went down) via the emergency QB rule.

No clue if that is valid (off to read more about it), but that would be in keeping with KAM's "winning at the margins" philosophy.

EDIT- disregard; according to the letter of the law you could potentially do it if McCarthy came in for a play and pretended to be injured but by the spirit of the rule this setup doesn't work.

The only way I believe it could work is if instead of using Mullens/Hall as the emergency QB, they utilize him still as just a regular PS member (don't know if that's really possible, but I'm sure it's been asked), so they can call him up 3 times and then must subject him to waivers.  It's only unlimited if that PS QB is used as the emergency QB, which then yes, McCarthy would have to actually be injured to use Mullens/Hall. 

They could try to get Mullens on the practice squad for the first 3 weeks and activate him on game day and decide after that if McCarthy is ready to be the backup or off they need to make a move

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

They could try to get Mullens on the practice squad for the first 3 weeks and activate him on game day and decide after that if McCarthy is ready to be the backup or off they need to make a move

That is sort of the line of what I was thinking. After a few weeks, then they can determine whether they need to bring him to the 53-man roster full-time or if they can take their chances of having McCarthy as the primary backup in case of injury to Darnold. 

16 hours ago, Sir Fobos said:

Presumably, McCarthy will be the #1 once he hits O'Connell's "benchmarks." Until then, he's going to be the project/emergency QB, behind a capable backup (Mullens/Hall). It's not about McCarthy being better than Mullens.

Say it louder for those in the back and those who have the preconceived notion that he’ll fail because he wasn’t their preferred guy. 

• Like 4

Per ESPN's Kevin Seifert, the Vikings’ surprise candidate will be wide receiver Brandon Powell this year:

“Wide receiver Brandon Powell. During the O’Connell era, the Vikings’ base offense has been 11 personnel, which generally means three receivers. So unless O’Connell is going to dramatically change that approach in his third season, there is a significant need for a third player to complement Justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison in the receiving corps. Powell filled that role well last season when Jefferson missed time with a hamstring injury, and he has a strong chance to earn a more permanent role there in 2024.”

Powell is tentatively on deck to fill WR3 duties in 2024, assuming newcomer veteran Trent Sherfield doesn’t seize the gig this summer. Third-year pass-catcher Jalen Nailor is also a contender.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/top_news/espn-names-vikings-surprise-player-for-2024?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

I'd like to see them use some two-back sets with Jones and Chandler, where one of them runs routes out of the backfield or shifts to the slot. I think they're both very capable receivers and could be used in a somewhat-McCaffreyesque role.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I'd like to see them use some two-back sets with Jones and Chandler, where one of them runs routes out of the backfield or shifts to the slot. I think they're both very capable receivers and could be used in a somewhat-McCaffreyesque role.

everyone's a receiver this year! get those linemen some reps too!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Brian O'Neill lined up as a FB/TE/Eligible OL back at Pitt! 

And we've been as disappointed in him not being utilized in that capacity as much as we were about Jared Allen not being used either...but at least we got to see Jared long snap. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Brian O'Neill lined up as a FB/TE/Eligible OL back at Pitt! 

Lined up? But did they attempt a pass to him? Did he catch it? Did he do a funky dance?

I mean, we need funky dance td celebrations from linemen this year!

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Lined up? But did they attempt a pass to him? Did he catch it? Did he do a funky dance?

I mean, we need funky dance td celebrations from linemen this year!

Lol no but I think he ran in a touchdown!

• 2 weeks later...

Vikings Youth Movement:

• • JJ McCarthy (21)
  • • Dallas Turner (21)
  • • Jordan Addison (22)
  • • Ivan Pace Jr (23)
  • • Justin Jefferson (24)
  • • Christian Darrisaw (25)
  • • Cam Bynum (25)
  • • TJ Hockenson (26)
  • • Josh Metellus (26)
  • • Byron Murphy (26)
  • • Jonathan Greenard (27)

BleedingPurple.com

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Vikings Youth Movement:

• • JJ McCarthy (21)
  • • Dallas Turner (21)
  • • Jordan Addison (22)
  • • Ivan Pace Jr (23)
  • • Justin Jefferson (24)
  • • Christian Darrisaw (25)
  • • Cam Bynum (25)
  • • TJ Hockenson (26)
  • • Josh Metellus (26)
  • • Byron Murphy (26)
  • • Jonathan Greenard (27)

BleedingPurple.com

That seems low actually......but I have no idea. 

• Like 1

KO: "Blake has been a guy who, since he's gotten here, has been asked to be ready to play two or three spots at one time. So our challenge to Blake is really, 'Embrace that left guard spot through the spring, really get the teaching and the mastery of your craft at one spot' – which he really hasn't been able to do since he's been a Minnesota Viking. We've seen the gains off that, between not only Blake individually but also his fit among those five offensive linemen.

"And then there was a purpose and a plan of bringing Dalton back – to create a very competitive situation at that left guard spot. We want to play the best five guys we can. You could see a bunch of different combinations of guys out there, especially as we try to allow that competition to naturally play out."

vikings.com

• Like 1