53-Man Roster Projection: Post-Draft Edition

I'm opening up the opportunity for you to project who you believe will make the final 53-man roster, now that we've cleared the draft and UDFA signings.  Obviously, there will probably be some more FA signings as we go along.  I will update this thread as we reach various points of the offseason, so you can update your projections at that point. 

QB:

RB/FB:

WR:

TE:

OL:

DL:

Edge:

ILB:

CB:

S:

ST:

Posted (edited)

QB (3): Sam Darnold, JJ McCarthy, Jaren Hall

RB/FB (4):  Aaron Jones, Ty Chandler, Kene Nwangwu, CJ Ham

WR (6): Justin Jefferson, Jordan Addison, Brandon Powell, Jalen Nailor, Trishton Jackson, Thayer Thomas

TE (4): TJ Hockenson, Josh Oliver, Johnny Mundt, Nick Muse

OL (8): Christian Darrisaw, Blake Brandel, Garrett Bradbury, Ed Ingram, Brian O'Neill, David Quessenberry, Walter Rouse, Dan Feeney

DL (4): Harrison Phillips, Jonathan Bullard, Jaquelin Roy, Jonah Williams

Edge (6): Jonathan Greenard, Andrew Van Ginkel, Dallas Turner, Patrick Jones II, Andre Carter II, Gabriel Murphy

ILB (4): Ivan Pace Jr, Blake Cashman, Brian Asamoah, Kamu Grugier-Hill

CB (6): Byron Murphy Jr, Mekhi Blackmon, Shaq Griffin, Khyree Jackson, NaJee Thompson, Akayleb Evans

S (5): Harrison Smith, Cam Bynum, Josh Metellus, Jay Ward, Lewis Cine

ST (3): Will Reichard, Ryan Wright, Andrew DePaola

Notable cuts --> Andrew Booth, Jr, Jerry Tillery, Nick Mullens

Edited by swede700

14 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s gonna be a dog fight for the last dozen or so roster spots. 

Yes.  I found it really hard to pick spots at the bottom of the roster.  I even missed Quessenberry initially (which is why it's edited) and had to add him back in and drop another guy, because I think he's fairly guaranteed to be on the roster as a swing tackle.

More of what I would do than what I would expect.

QB:  Darnold, McCarthy,  Mullins/Hall (would look to trade either Mullins or Hall).

RB:  Jones, Chandler, FA.  Ham-FB

WR:  Jets, Addison, Powell, Sherfield, FA

TE:  Hock, Oliver, Mundt, Muse

OL:  Darrisaw, (Risner), Bradbury, Ingram, O'Neill, Brandel, Quesenberry, Feeney, Rouse

DL:  Phillips, Bullard, Roy, Tillery, Ward, Drake Rodriguiz

Edge:  Greenard, Turner, Van Ginkel (Edge/LB), Carter, Murphy

LB:  Pace, Cashman, Gant/Richter

CB:  Murphy,Griffin, Blackmon, Jackson, Booth/McGlothern, Thompson

S:  Bynum, Smith, Metellus, Ward

Filling out WR and RB depth shouldn't be too hard in FA.  OL depth and DL are areas of most concern

6 hours ago, swede700 said:

QB (3): Sam Darnold, JJ McCarthy, Jaren Hall

RB/FB (4):  Aaron Jones, Ty Chandler, Kene Nwangwu, CJ Ham

WR (6): Justin Jefferson, Jordan Addison, Brandon Powell, Jalen Nailor, Trishton Jackson, Thayer Thomas

TE (4): TJ Hockenson, Josh Oliver, Johnny Mundt, Nick Muse

OL (8): Christian Darrisaw, Blake Brandel, Garrett Bradbury, Ed Ingram, Brian O'Neill, David Quessenberry, Walter Rouse, Dan Feeney

DL (4): Harrison Phillips, Jonathan Bullard, Jaquelin Roy, Jonah Williams

Edge (6): Jonathan Greenard, Andrew Van Ginkel, Dallas Turner, Patrick Jones II, Andre Carter II, Gabriel Murphy

ILB (4): Ivan Pace Jr, Blake Cashman, Brian Asamoah, Kamu Grugier-Hill

CB (6): Byron Murphy Jr, Mekhi Blackmon, Shaq Griffin, Khyree Jackson, NaJee Thompson, Akayleb Evans

S (5): Harrison Smith, Cam Bynum, Josh Metellus, Jay Ward, Lewis Cine

ST (3): Will Reichard, Ryan Wright, Andrew DePaola

Notable cuts --> Andrew Booth, Jr, Jerry Tillery, Nick Mullens

I don't see how it could be much different than what you have here.  But I do see one massive miss, Jihad Ward, no way he does not make the roster and no way he would get cut over Jonah Williams.  Ward is legit and very solid on the edge with his massive size, dude is really strong and no way he is not on the roster next year, most likely he starts if they do a 3/4 base or even in a 4/3 he could be a great rotation DE.  

Tillery I would want to keep, honestly I would take him over Jonah Williams but depends on how they play of course.  That DL is pretty weak no question, Van Ginkel should honestly be the backup ILB for either Pace or Cashman which could save a spot possibly for someone else.

Would suck to cut McGlothern, but Thompson has the edge with special teams.  Ward and Cine, honestly not sure we would need both of them and cutting one could save a spot for McGlothern but time will tell.

Solid competition at most spots but that WR depth could be a big issue, they need someone to show up and become that 4th option.  And depends on how Nester players, I would not mind getting rid of Quessenberry if Rouse shows he can be legit at either LT or RT.  OG is arguably more of an issue with no real backup to that, Feeney sure but depends on what he looks like.  Maybe Jurgens will play good enough to be the backup C or OG but right now I assume Feeney should be able to be that guy but who knows.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

QB(3): Darnold, Hall, McCarthy 

RB/FB(4): Jones, Chandler, Nwangwu, Ham

TE(3): Hockenson*, Oliver, Mundt

WR(6): Jefferson, Addison, Boyd, Powell, Nailor, Jackson

OL(9): Darrisaw, O'Neill, Ingram, Brandel, Bradbury, Schlottman, Rouse, Jurgens, Feeney

--(25 on offense)--

DL(4): Phillips, Roy, Bullard, Tillery

ILB(4): Pace, Cashman, Asamoah, Richter

Edge(6): Greenard, Van Ginkel, Turner, Jones, Murphy, Carter

CB(6): Murphy, Griffin, Blackmon, K.Jackson, McGlothern, Thompson

S(5): Bynum, Metellus, Smith, Ward, T.Jackson

--(25 on defense)--

K: Richard

P: Wright

LS: DePaola

*Muse fills in the first few weeks for Hockenson 

Edited by SteelKing728
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

QB(3): Darnold, Hall, McCarthy 

RB/FB(4): Jones, Chandler, Nwangwu, Ham

TE(3): Hockenson*, Oliver, Mundt

WR(6): Jefferson, Addison, Boyd, Powell, Nailor, Jackson

OL(9): Darrisaw, O'Neill, Ingram, Brandel, Bradbury, Schlottman, Rouse, Jurgens, Feeney

--(25 on offense)--

DL(4): Phillips, Roy, Bullard, Tillery

ILB(4): Pace, Cashman, Asamoah, Richter

Edge(6): Greenard, Van Ginkel, Turner, Jones, Murphy, Carter

CB(6): Murphy, Griffin, Blackmon, K.Jackson, McGlothern, Thompson

S(5): Bynum, Metellus, Smith, Ward, T.Jackson

--(25 on defense)--

K: Richard

P: Wright

LS: DePaola

*Muse fills in the first few weeks for Hockenson 

I like this apart from Pat Jones makes the roster over Carter. Carter on the PS

EDIT: I can't read

Edited by viking
  • Like 1

I don’t think Patrick Jones makes the roster. He no longer fits the mold. 

The Vikings moved on from Hunter, Wonnum, and Davenport. All players who fit the mold of true defensive ends. And they were replaced by Greenard, Van Ginkel, and Turner. All players who fit the mold of outside linebackers. 

Jones II is a defensive end. I would expect him to be replaced by someone who’s more of an outside linebacker. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The Vikings moved on from Hunter, Wonnum, and Davenport. All players who fit the mold of true defensive ends. And they were replaced by Greenard, Van Ginkel, and Turner. All players who fit the mold of outside linebackers. 

Jones II is a defensive end. I would expect him to be replaced by someone who’s more of an outside linebacker. 

And he’s in the last year of his deal. I also am not expecting him to make the team. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I agree we've been shifting towards a true 3-4 but being a true defensive end could be Jones's saving grace - Flores likes playing a multiple front defense so keeping a true 4-3 DE might be intriguing to him.

I'd like Jones to make the roster. He's been average but you never know how a player in a contract year might perform

Edited by viking
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, viking said:

I'd like Jones to make the roster. He's been average but you never know how a player in a contract year might perform

If they dont feel he's going to be a long term player for them, it might be better to cut loose to roster another player they believe will be there multiple years.  

I guess it depends if Turner is ready from Day 1 to be in the rotation. If he he is, they could feel better to spent Jones' roster spot on a development guy; like how they kept Carter last year. So it could be Murphy this year.

• Like 1

Sure they brought in Grugier-Hill as a backup ILB but again I feel Van Ginkel will be that potentially especially if another edge guys emerges.  

Also Bo Richter, the more I watch him the more I like him, dude was a force on the edge, clearly will not really be that and more of a thumper ILB who can blitz and penetrate getting tackles for a loss.  Brian Asamoah better step his game up big time because Richter could easily take his spot on the roster I feel, he is way strong at the point of attack and is far more aggressive, but is just not used to being a standup ILB from being an edge guy on Air Force for the most part.

Interesting talent and another possibly great UDFA signing.  Curious if they view Richter as an edge guy or not though, I guess he technically could play that as well but is a bit short but so is Gabriel Murphy of course.  

30 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Also Bo Richter, the more I watch him the more I like him, dude was a force on the edge, clearly will not really be that and more of a thumper ILB who can blitz and penetrate getting tackles for a loss.  Brian Asamoah better step his game up big time because Richter could easily take his spot on the roster I feel, he is way strong at the point of attack and is far more aggressive, but is just not used to being a standup ILB from being an edge guy on Air Force for the most part.

Interesting talent and another possibly great UDFA signing.  Curious if they view Richter as an edge guy or not though, I guess he technically could play that as well but is a bit short but so is Gabriel Murphy of course.  

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/54416-2024-udfa-signings/page/6/#comment-5778768