Najee NO 5th yr Option

I have to admit I'm kind of surprised. I by no means am the biggest Najee supporter,  but think its a bit surprising. Definitely seems to be retrace of the philosophy of drafting a workhorse back in the first round. I don't love that teams, especially this organization more than any, chews up RB's and spits them out. I did think it was dumb to draft a non explosive one in the 1st round.

My other thought was could he be a part of any of the trade talks. Realize that would put the depth into question but what if say Denver flipped Javonte Williams in a Sutton trade for Najee and whatever. Something like that ... Maybe that doesn't make a lot of sense for Denver but never know. 

• Like 3

I'm surprised too, although it seemed to be headed this way.
It's not like the option was expensive either, just under 7m.

Who knows, maybe they resign him to a longer deal if Smith's
offence and Harris seem to go well together in the pre-season.
Maybe that's what they're trying to see, but yea, a bit surprised too.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I am a little surprised. I was down on Najee, but he won me over last year with his heart and hard running. That said, despite having good power and contact balance, he lacks the vision and explosion to ever be an elite back. Maybe Smith isn’t huge on him for the system. 

maybe this motivates him to kill it this season,,,

Edited by rlon
  • Like 3

As I said in the other thread I woulda done the 5th year option and been done with it.

Between this year and what woulda been the option, his contract would have equated to a 2 year $11 mill deal.

Im not a fan of creating another “need” when there’s a decent chance of having to use picks to trade up for a QB next year and still having to pay a FA RB regardless.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, AFF said:

As I said in the other thread I woulda done the 5th year option and been done with it.

Between this year and what woulda been the option, his contract would have equated to a 2 year $11 mill deal.

Im not a fan of creating another “need” when there’s a decent chance of having to use picks to trade up for a QB next year and still having to pay a FA RB regardless.

Agreed. Seems idiotic especially considering we need to see what he can do with an improved OL. You pick up the 5th year and see what he can do getting through the gaps clean. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I have to admit I'm kind of surprised. I by no means am the biggest Najee supporter,  but think its a bit surprising. Definitely seems to be retrace of the philosophy of drafting a workhorse back in the first round. I don't love that teams, especially this organization more than any, chews up RB's and spits them out. I did think it was dumb to draft a non explosive one in the 1st round.

My other thought was could he be a part of any of the trade talks. Realize that would put the depth into question but what if say Denver flipped Javonte Williams in a Sutton trade for Najee and whatever. Something like that ... Maybe that doesn't make a lot of sense for Denver but never know. 

especially with the OL that was here. Thanks to Khan/Weidl that has changed. What would Najee's trade value be though? 

2 hours ago, DR43 said:

Do you expect him to leave after this season?  

unless he really wants to stay here, I would expect him to get a few offers from other teams and he will most likely move on.   Maybe he won't get many offers for the amount he is expecting, wait and see.   

34 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I think they try to negotiate an extension without the option.  Outside that, the 2025 draft will be elite for RBs

I was just going to ask this. How many RB's will be taken in RD1?  I also thought that they will give Warren a nice deal and maybe they will only allow for a certain max cap value for the RB room and a lower number at that. Wait and see how this plays out,  but if the draft will be loaded will we be drafting RB in RD1  of all things after letting a RD1 RB go?

6 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

especially with the OL that was here. Thanks to Khan/Weidl that has changed. What would Najee's trade value be though? 

unless he really wants to stay here, I would expect him to get a few offers from other teams and he will most likely move on.   Maybe he won't get many offers for the amount he is expecting, wait and see.   

I was just going to ask this. How many RB's will be taken in RD1?  I also thought that they will give Warren a nice deal and maybe they will only allow for a certain max cap value for the RB room and a lower number at that. Wait and see how this plays out,  but if the draft will be loaded will we be drafting RB in RD1  of all things after letting a RD1 RB go?

Why would you take a RB in Rd1?

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

when you said elite, I thought that was the indicator for RD1.

Me, I don't like the idea of a RB in RD1 unless the player is that good and the OL is  top5/elite. Other than that, RB in RD1 makes no sense to me at all, especially considering  every year there are UFA's that are proven as well. 

What RD would you take a RB in 25 draft if you were Khan/Weidl?

Next years draft is pretty nice with D-Line, how appropriate since that should be priority #1 and possibly #2.  Wouldn't be drafting a RB til the 3rd round dont really care who is what or where. 

The one that Ive seen that I liked was Omarion Hampton. Wouldnt get me to spend anything more than an early 3rd on any of them when you are likely to still need improvement at CB and perhaps WR to go along with the Dline needs. I am of little faith that George will be a 2 contract Steeler. 

8 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I am of little faith that George will be a 2 contract Steeler. 

is this due to maturity issues?  

he acted up when the lame QB's wouldn't throw to him.  Russ should change that but time will tell.  

If they trade for Aiyuk, do you expect that to be GP's exit after his contract?

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

It would take someone special like McCaffrey or Saquon for me to draft a 1st round RB.  Najee was never that.  I DID, however, have him pegged as possibly the best player in his entire draft based on what I saw at Alabama, so I wasn't really all that ticked off when the Steelers burned a 1 on him.  Not what I would've done, but the talent was there!