Najee NO 5th yr Option

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Next years draft is pretty nice with D-Line, how appropriate since that should be priority #1 and possibly #2.  Wouldn't be drafting a RB til the 3rd round dont really care who is what or where. 

The one that Ive seen that I liked was Omarion Hampton. Wouldnt get me to spend anything more than an early 3rd on any of them when you are likely to still need improvement at CB and perhaps WR to go along with the Dline needs. I am of little faith that George will be a 2 contract Steeler. 

I watched a lot of UNC for Drake Maye, and they actually had 2 RBs that looked good.  I'd agree with Hampton.  

As far as Najee's option not being picked up, as I said in the other thread, I read an article today that mentioned all the other aspects to declining it.  

1.  You get a motivated player that might run his butt off this year and really produce for you in a contract year.

2.  You get to see how he fits your scheme without committing 6.79 mill guaranteed to it ahead of time.

3.  If you sign him to the usual 4 year deal after the season, he'll be inked up at ages 27-30, not beyond when he'll more likely be in decline.  

On the other hand, 6.79 is far below the # it'll take to resign him if he has a good year.  So you could've rented him for another year, and then just drafted another guy to replace him.  Better business sense that way.  RBs, unless they're a Christian McCaffrey, are a dime a dozen, and Najee isn't that explosive to be considered an exception to that rule for me.  I do like him though!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Agreed. Seems idiotic especially considering we need to see what he can do with an improved OL. You pick up the 5th year and see what he can do getting through the gaps clean. 

I just don’t see the point…trying to go cheap on a guy that’s at least average or better in all aspects of the game and it’s not like they’re hurting for cap room next offseason.

• Like 2

Like I said…basically they decided not to sign Najee for a 2/$11 mill deal.

That kinda makes you wonder…especially in what we’re assuming is going to be a run heavy offense the next 2 seasons between Wilson/Fields/QB of the future.

You saw Pollard/Henry/Mixon/Swift/Jones all Get between $7-$9 mill in FA this offseason.

I don’t get it…and I’m not the biggest fan of Harris.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, AFF said:

I just don’t see the point…trying to go cheap on a guy that’s at least average or better in all aspects of the game and it’s not like they’re hurting for cap room next offseason.

some players are underpaid under appreciated, then some teams grossly overpay players 

th?id=OIP.dZiGOqInnYb7EsozIU717AHaE7%26p

27 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I think they see Warren as the better RB and want to extend him next offseason. I agree with that thinking.

no doubt, but for the price  why not consider keeping Najee  especially with the capspace they have ? Answer is most likely that 25 draft is going to get a player  that will replace him.

If DW can stay on the filed, I expect Muth to be another colbert player gone as well

59 minutes ago, AFF said:

neither was I until they started blocking for him in a scheme that suited him.  Maybe this regime has other ideas for RB/scheme or possibly could be making more changes next offseason that we wouldn't normally have expected. They could be cleaning house, and when the team is finally winning playoff games, there might not be many colbert leftovers here

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AFF said:

Like I said…basically they decided not to sign Najee for a 2/$11 mill deal.

That kinda makes you wonder…especially in what we’re assuming is going to be a run heavy offense the next 2 seasons between Wilson/Fields/QB of the future.

You saw Pollard/Henry/Mixon/Swift/Jones all Get between $7-$9 mill in FA this offseason.

Players, especially RBs I would imagine, do not typically like 5th year options or franchise tags, because it locks them onto a team for another year with no long term deal.    The Steelers could easily give him the same amount of money in an extension they may try to work on, and even if that isnt the case, it allows Najee to find a long term deal elsewhere.

The 5th year option benefits US, but could have very much negatively affected his chances of getting a multi year deal in 2026, being that he would have been a 28 year old RB heading into free agency that year, which I think would scare more teams off.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

As far as Najee's option not being picked up, as I said in the other thread, I read an article today that mentioned all the other aspects to declining it.  

1.  You get a motivated player that might run his butt off this year and really produce for you in a contract year.

2.  You get to see how he fits your scheme without committing 6.79 mill guaranteed to it ahead of time.

3.  If you sign him to the usual 4 year deal after the season, he'll be inked up at ages 27-30, not beyond when he'll more likely be in decline.  

On the other hand, 6.79 is far below the # it'll take to resign him if he has a good year.  So you could've rented him for another year, and then just drafted another guy to replace him.  Better business sense that way.  RBs, unless they're a Christian McCaffrey, are a dime a dozen, and Najee isn't that explosive to be considered an exception to that rule for me.  I do like him though!  

Yup. All of this. I think right now yo offer him (as o stated in the other thread) 2/$15mm. Buyout that tag by making year 5 worth more. 

Additionally I’m not a fan of the 5th year for RBs. IIRC it’s fully GTD for injury and that one of the riskiest plays to make to guarantee a RB the money a year out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That's a good point. Though, it absolutely needed to be said. I think it showed good leadership by Najee, but I can understand why the bosses wouldn't have liked it. 

If something needed to be done about rules, take care of it in-house IMO. Making it public is directly undermining your leadership. If it was brought up to the coaches and they didn't change anything, maybe they had a reason that they felt additional rules weren't necessary. Calling out the lack of rules not only claims that the coaches aren't doing their job, but also claims that the player leadership isn't doing theirs either. No one on the team should be happy about it.

12 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That's a good point. Though, it absolutely needed to be said. I think it showed good leadership by Najee, but I can understand why the bosses wouldn't have liked it. 

The question none of us have the answer to was if this was the first time it was talked about. 

I mean, I got opinions about the option being declined but I’m declining to say them because I think they would be unpopular. But the long story short is I like Najee, but committing that money to him without seeing him in those offense (which a lot of people claimed they saw a fit issue with) is not the best thing to do. 

• Like 1