Detroit signs Jared Goff to 4 year extension worth $212 million/$170 M guaranteed

NVRamsFan

16 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I'm curious from both people who like this and people who hate this - 

What would make you consider this a "good" extension?

With QBs, I don't think people care much about the money. It's all about the player. I mean the people that don't like the deal, why would they like it at 4 years $160m? They'd save $13m/year but it's still an outrageous amount of money for one person that is crucial to the teams success. 

I think it just comes down to how you believe you can win. Do you need a top 5 QB (Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, etc) and you just continously cycle through guys until you get there or are you fine going mid tier? Some people just refuse to want to give any mid tier guys a 2nd contract. I don't agree with them but there's merit to those arguments. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 6:37 PM, Forge said:

Nasty reality of the league. I hate the middle tier QB contract, but people are going to pay it until someone sacks up and just decides to cycle through rookie QBs (which, lets be honest, is a little more daunting of a prospect after seeing 2021 and 2022 classes just completely crater)

No one has the stones to ever do this. Which is why this thread is full of "seems expensive" and "bit pricey for my taste", and not anyone going "yeah right now Detroit should have taken all that happiness, blown it up in front of 250k fans, and traded up for Bo Nix".

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

What exactly has Goff accomplished besides holding McVay back from winning a SB in 2018? He played well and won two home playoff games as the higher seed this year. 

If you can’t see the irony here then I don’t know what to say 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

No one has the stones to ever do this. Which is why this thread is full of "seems expensive" and "bit pricey for my taste", and not anyone going "yeah right now Detroit should have taken all that happiness, blown it up in front of 250k fans, and traded up for Bo Nix".

Thoughts and prayers for the self loathing Falcons fans with fresh ink stains from the Cousins contract.

• Like 3

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah, its a lot easier for us because we don't have jobs on the line. 

And I think the league is becoming less forgiving on QBs. I think the hit rate to even find "just" a Jared Goff (who was the first overall pick in the draft lol) is pretty low right now. Even with putting these guys in plus positions, I don't know that you're comfortable in the hit rate right now 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Goff, Dak, to a lesser degree Tua, and guys like them give you a punching chance at a legitimate Super Bowl run.

Who turns that down and takes whatever is standing behind Curtain 3 unless it’s a mid to late rounder that magically falls in your lap…which ironically is exactly what Dak was to begin with.

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah I mean this will probably buy Brad Holmes to the end of this contract, where I imagine Goff starts to struggle (he is already is one of the worst QBs under pressure in the league in his 20s) and the Lions look to find the next QB. He'll either take a good one and be extended for another 5-10 years or fail and be fired. From his standpoint this is a no brainer, as a fan whose job isn't on the line, we can objectively say, this doesn't work too often.

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Those people have selective memories, which reminds me of this:

• Like 9

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2024 at 7:00 PM, Forge said:

Yeah, its a lot easier for us because we don't have jobs on the line. 

And I think the league is becoming less forgiving on QBs. I think the hit rate to even find "just" a Jared Goff (who was the first overall pick in the draft lol) is pretty low right now. Even with putting these guys in plus positions, I don't know that you're comfortable in the hit rate right now 

It's also almost always fans with good QBs who suggest doing this. All QBs not named Mahomes are the same when we are posting BS in the middle of May, but having to watch a dog**** QB is soul sucking and exhausting.

People can argue this was borderline purely on math if they want, but the fans made this decision for the team a while ago.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, MortexLion said:

Jared Goff

Career stats
Year
Year
Team
Team
CMP%
Completions percentage
YDS
Passing yards
TD
Passing touchdowns
INT
Interceptions thrown
Rating
Passer rating

Patrick Mahomes 

Career stats
Year
Year
Team
Team
CMP%
Completions percentage
YDS
Passing yards
TD
Passing touchdowns
INT
Interceptions thrown
Rating
Passer rating

Lamar Jackson

Career stats
Year
Year
Team
Team
CMP%
Completions percentage
YDS
Passing yards
TD
Passing touchdowns
INT
Interceptions thrown
Rating
Passer rating

Goff isn't even a top 12 QB... That broccoli some of you are smoking must be Fire!

Okay so if you think Goff is Lamar or Mahomes, what about Tua's stats compared to Goff? Where's Tua rank in your top 12?

On 5/13/2024 at 7:07 PM, Packerraymond said:

Yeah I mean this will probably buy Brad Holmes to the end of this contract, where I imagine Goff starts to struggle (he is already is one of the worst QBs under pressure in the league in his 20s) and the Lions look to find the next QB. He'll either take a good one and be extended for another 5-10 years or fail and be fired. From his standpoint this is a no brainer, as a fan whose job isn't on the line, we can objectively say, this doesn't work too often.

Hey Lions fans not only do you have Goff now this "buys" you Brad Homles through 2027 bet you're devastated huh

• Like 1