Jets 2024 General Talks

JetsandI

51 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Jakeem Grant Jr. is at camp on a tryout type base. He could fill in as the return guy if he is healthy. 

I feel like the Jets aren't high on Izzy at RB.  Braelon Allen is gonna be RB#2, he can pass block and he was showing strong ability as a receiver. Then they really like Isaiah Davis. 

Izzy was supposed to be a possible return man and they keep bringing in all these other guys. 

E_JB3_8987

Allen is a beast. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

I feel like the Jets aren't high on Izzy at RB.  Braelon Allen is gonna be RB#2, he can pass block and he was showing strong ability as a receiver. Then they really like Isaiah Davis. 

Izzy was supposed to be a possible return man and they keep bringing in all these other guys.

Allen is a beast. 

Good because Izzy is not a good RB. He's an OK one cut back - but that's when he actually finds the hole. Perfectly replaceable IMO and poor spell for Breece.

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

LOL.  I am rooting for you guys this year.  Been a tough run.  This isn't really a big deal, but you know everything is a big deal.

Team knew about it, it's just technically unexcused. NY Media at it's finest.

Haason stuff could be a big deal though. Unlike Rodgers, he hasn't be present at all so far.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

Team knew about it, it's just technically unexcused. 

it's technically unexcused because the team chose not to excuse it, and could have.

now Rodgers has been fined the $16,000+ for missing the first day of mandatory practice. pennies to him, obviously, but the team is sending some form of message, that's for sure.

what that message is, i do not know.

11 hours ago, vike daddy said:

it's technically unexcused because the team chose not to excuse it, and could have.

now Rodgers has been fined the $16,000+ for missing the first day of mandatory practice. pennies to him, obviously, but the team is sending some form of message, that's for sure.

what that message is, i do not know.

Rodgers had a planned visit during these dates, trips aren't excused but the Jets knew about it. Its a non-issue, Rodgers was with the team the entire off-season and was at every OTA.  This is just a opportunity for the backup to get work in. 

The real issue is Reddick who is holding out over a contract.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2024 at 9:40 AM, NYJets4716 said:

Rodgers had a planned visit during these dates, trips aren't excused but the Jets knew about it. Its a non-issue, Rodgers was with the team the entire off-season and was at every OTA.  This is just a opportunity for the backup to get work in. 

The real issue is Reddick who is holding out over a contract.

100% agree here. I was not a fan of the Reddick trade because of this. He seems like the type of guy that will drag this out unti the season starts and that is not good for a guy who had a few bad years then got good. Was this a flash in the pan type thing? I would think JD made this trade knowing he could sign him but it is not looking like it. 

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

100% agree here. I was not a fan of the Reddick trade because of this. He seems like the type of guy that will drag this out unti the season starts and that is not good for a guy who had a few bad years then got good. Was this a flash in the pan type thing? I would think JD made this trade knowing he could sign him but it is not looking like it. 

Flash in the pan? He’s had double digit sacks for 4 years straight. 

Seems like Douglas wanted to use this guy as a one year rental, and Reddick probably isn’t too happy about it. 

1 hour ago, NJerseypaint said:

Definitely not a good look, but at least we have some insurance in WMD. Just sucks that we let Bryce go and brought in a guy who's already a problem.

Meh.  The rumor is that there was a verbal agreement between Reddick and JD before the trade.  Simply,  Reddick agreed to be at all mandatory camps and the Jets would revisit his contract after the season.  Maybe Reddick felt emboldened by JFM moving on and thinks he has the Jets in a corner.  Regardless, it was always going to be a one year rental as insurance in case McD and others do not provide enough pressure.  It was a gamble on JD's part.  I doubt Reddick will hold out into the season.  It would cost him money.

JD has to start saving for the next two off seasons.  There are more important people that will need to get paid.

So Malachi Corley has yet to sign with Jets?  If so, Jets probably wait until it is done before reworking on the roster to make cap room for Reddick.

The worst thing Jets could suffer is losing 2026 3rd round pick.  It can become 2nd round pick if Reddick repeats the success in 2024.  Jets owe Reddick nothing until he is on the active (or IR) roster entering week 1.  Holdout for a season won't hurt Jets financially, I think.

A bit of a rant here, first off Reddick looks like a clown dressed up as a shogun extra. No one in Japan walks around dressed like that, what a dope! 

Could the Jets have traded for a liar who agreed to the trade knowing he would sit out until he got what he wanted? Who wants an employee like that? But we will soon see if he sits out mandatory camp and going into the season. I'm afraid the Jets have been hoodwinked.

Likewise the Jets look just as dysfunctional as last year with Saleh not knowing what to say about A.R. missing mandatory mini camp, then saying it was an unapproved absence. But then saying they knew about it. 

The Jet Organization from a management point of view seems weak, Saleh when he doesn't have an answer always says "that's a question for Joe D."

As for the revamped OL, what took so long Joe? 6 years and you have only one starter who's missed 1/2 a season the past 2 seasons. All the F.A. OL and later drafted OL have been colossal wasted picks.

Yeah trade for one of the oldest or older QB's THEN, THEN, waste no time building up an OL that on paper if healthy will be better than good. What happened last year Joe? There was talent on the offensive side of the ball, but you refused to sign a reasonable journeyman who could possibly land the Jets in the playoffs.

You threw the QB's to the wolves with the OL you kept together last year, wasted the talents of RB and WR knowing you had an elite D. 6 years and as a former OL I'm sorry to say that being a former OL you have failed miserably. So here we are in 2024 FINALLY with an OL which will not hurt an aging QB like you did last year.

You finally drafted what or who is considered a blue chip OT of the future in 2024. Yeah I've hear it, the Jets are in a win now mode, REALLY? All NFL teams are in a win now mode even if the roster stinks. 

Don't get me wrong, JD has had some fine moments but if we were to put it all on a scale the good with the bad, J.D. has been level at best, and if not for the great draft of a few years ago. J.D. would be on the bad low side of the scale. 

On 6/25/2024 at 9:13 AM, Big T said:

As for the revamped OL, what took so long Joe?

I'm with you on all the OL misery.  BUT, there was a lot of misfortune in regards to FA OL.  Brown was supposed to be good as was Tomlinson.  He did get Fant but let him go when he though Becton would be an actual FB player.  Same with getting Moses and then letting him walk only to get him back.  We were all hoodwinked on Becton regardless if Wirfs is better.  The Becton flop was unforeseen as he had a decent rookie season.  He did get AVT and Tippmann.

The injuries which no one can predict are what really hurt.  Also, lets not forget that JD was hog tied last year until Rodgers actually signed. A move dictated by Woody.  Choosing an undersized DE was a poor decision last year, but is there any doubt he was selecting OL before Pitt pulled the rug out from under him?   At the very least, JD recognizes the importance and need on the OL as opposed to past GMs who just ignored OL.  He has had 5 drafts and FA periods not 6.  At least he finally got it right.  I expect playoffs this year and a bright future IF he can find a Rodgers replacement for 2026.

All in all, I think JD is one of the better GMs we have had.  I think it is time Woody has patience.  That is what good teams do.

• Like 1