What would Mahomes contract look like with no salary cap?

USADave

I just found out that the NFL makes nearly twice as much as MLB. A league with no cap.

If the NFL cap was removed, what would Mahomes contract look like on the open market?

2 minutes ago, USADave said:

I just found out that the NFL makes nearly twice as much as MLB. A league with no cap.

If the NFL cap was removed, what would Mahomes contract look like on the open market?

USADave, it would blow your mind.

• Like 3

I think he would just always be the highest paid QB, which I think is close to what will happen regardless.

For as good as he is - and I think he's on the highway to GOAT - football is the "ultimate team sport".

The reason why MLB and NFL players make more money is because one player can have an outsized impact in those sports. An elite pitcher needs one other player to make one other play to be successful. We've seen the best NBA players score every point in a fourth quarter.

If Mahomes (or any NFL player) had the relative lack of help that some of those situations have, that football team (in this case, the Chiefs) would lose by 30 points.

The NFL makes more (and is easily the superior sport IMO), but revenue per player is pretty close to the MLB and gets obliterated by the NBA. And that's again because football is the ultimate team sport.

If you remove the salary cap, I actually don't think it would make as much of a difference as some think. On average, Mahomes has been making about 15% - 20% of the salary cap since his new deal really kicked in. Player salaries are about half of league revenue, per the CBA, so effectively, Mahomes was making roughly 7.5% - 10% of the Chiefs entire revenue. That's a lot for one dude. Outside of sports I'm not sure I can think of an equivalent to that. Because that's not profit or operating income, that's revenue. So that's 10% of what the Chiefs bring in before accounting for any expenses or operating costs. Like, one poster threw out $200M a year, the Chiefs as an entire organization would be at a net loss at that point. That's one guy making 40% - 50% of a team's entire cash flow. Only 4 teams had operating profits higher than $200M in 2022. The Chiefs paid Mahomes $35M that year, had net profits of $119M, so they would've have lost roughly $45M as a franchise for an entire fiscal year, had they paid him $200M. To do that, you'd need an owner to pay extensively out of their own pocket, rather than out of the team's income, and I don't really think you'd see many willing to do that. Definitely not to that extent. All owners are still just looking to make money in the end. Not sure even Mahomes could make any team that much money. The Chiefs still aren't a particularly profitable team despite the past 5 years. Though, the Pats still are, so maybe it just takes a decade or two to catch up?

I actually think getting rid of the salary cap might make some teams spend less, to be honest. Assuming the floor goes away with it. You'd get NFL equivalents to the Athletics. And let's be honest, it would probably be the Bengals. The cap kind of gives an expectation of what teams should spend, IMO. Which is good.

Now, if you were to remove revenue sharing as well, that's a different story. Then, a team like the Cowboys probably could pay him $200M per year. Maybe more. With the tradeoff being that the Lions couldn't have even afforded Goff, let alone the Chiefs/Bills/Bengals affording Mahomes/Allen/Burrow. Premier players like that would all flood to Dallas, New York, Chicago, etc.