Netflix acquires rights to Christmas Day games

RaidersAreOne

11 hours ago, Forge said:

Doesn't change what they've gotten now though, and worst case it means they just go back to the old way which has also been profitable. 

This is basically just free money for the NFL right now

Yep, more a comment that this is a bubble and eventually services are going to realize broadcasting the NFL is an every week or don't do it type venture.

• Like 1

I’ll just save the ~$1,000 over 6 months and use it to make my raised garden boxes and rock pathways with arches instead.

Maybe I’ll be the only person to boycott but I don’t care, I’m not going to continue to be a part of their cash cow. Screw ‘em.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Until streaming services realize that no one/very few people are signing up for Netflix to watch 3 games.

You pay for one month and cancel? It's really not a big deal. Say you protest and decide to go watch it at a bar instead, how much your food and drinks going to cost? More than a month of Netflix.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yep, more a comment that this is a bubble and eventually services are going to realize broadcasting the NFL is an every week or don't do it type venture.

IMO it’s more of what we in acquisitions call “buying in”. They’re willing to take a short term loss to gauge the market response and potentially reap massive future profits or else cut bait after a year and view it as an advertisement opportunity as opposed to failed venture.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

You pay for one month and cancel? It's really not a big deal. Say you protest and decide to go watch it at a bar instead, how much your food and drinks going to cost? More than a month of Netflix.

What bar are you going to on Christmas…?

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

Streaming was the best thing that ever happened to the league. 

Getting to parcel off so many games, particularly on non traditional days and special occasions, is just such a huge money maker.

And yet they're still trying to open up teams to Saudi ownership. The greed is getting ridiculous.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

There are websites that have 1080p+ broadcasts available for download within like 15 minutes of game end. Instead of a on one off Christmas package, I'll start one game delayed, skip half times, and have high quality picture with no interruptions going right to my TV through Plex for free.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I’ll just save the ~$1,000 over 6 months and use it to make my raised garden boxes and rock pathways with arches instead.

Maybe I’ll be the only person to boycott but I don’t care, I’m not going to continue to be a part of their cash cow. Screw ‘em.

$1000? Ha maybe if you were never going to watch TV and the NFL is the only reason you would purchase any TV streaming product. I have Fubo, will get every FOX, NBC, CBS game this season. A month of Peacock and Netflix to watch these games will cost me $30 more than I would've otherwise spent had the NFL not existed. So over dramatic.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

$1000? Ha maybe if you were never going to watch TV and the NFL is the only reason you would purchase any TV streaming product

So, literally me then. I use an antenna and get CBS, FOX, ABC, and NBC all free my man.

• Like 2

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

There are websites that have 1080p+ broadcasts available for download within like 15 minutes of game end. On one off Christmas packages, I'll start one game delayed, skip half times, and have high quality picture going right to my TV through Plex for free.

I have NFL+ so I'll watch them delayed too, but if it was the Packers, I'd just pay for the Netflix and cancel. It really isn't a big a deal as people make it out to be. It's entertainment, you pay for boxing/UFC matches, movies, etc... up until streaming you didn't have to pay anything to watch the NFL, that's changing, so is the salary cap because of it.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I have Fubo, will get every FOX, NBC, CBS game this season.

Question....can you also get the "out of market" games on FOX/CBS/NBC on Fubo?

Edited by Leader

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95214dx4j8xf7jkerk1x1

And for the record, if I went to buy dinner and watched the game, I get an immediate dopamine response while supporting a local small business, and I line their pockets instead of theirs. It’s the Michael Scott WIN/WIN/WIN

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

And yet they're still trying to open up teams to Saudi ownership. The greed is getting ridiculous.

One of those things (corporate greed) I just don't care about in something like sports which are fully optional. At some point, as @ramssuperbowl99 said, there's a bubble for all of this. Good business involves balancing your greed with doing your best to ensure that it is satiated via good business practices and strategies. They can be as greedy as they want. Private company and all. If they want to be so greedy that something ultimately blows up in their face and has significant detrimental impact to the business, that's on them. 

But this? This is just a great business strategy for them. They created something that didn't exist (christmas games -- which are on a wednesday this year) for $0 and sold it for hundreds of millions over 3 years. It has 0 impact to me because again, these games didn't exist. Before right now, these games would have just been played on a sunday with everything else and I probably wasn't going to get to watch them anyway because I can only watch so many games at once. 

• Like 1