Official 2025 QB Thread

goldfishwars

On 5/29/2024 at 5:08 PM, lavar703 said:

It’s just a hunch. I think it ends up like the Rattler-Williams situation. I could totally be wrong however. 

If that was the case that would have happened last year, especially when Ewers got hurt and even last year Manning was beat out by Murphy and when Ewers got hurt Murphy was the QB not Manning.  

Manning is super talented just would be very surprising to see him beat out Ewers unless the team loses what 3-4 games in a row or something.  I do need to watch the Texas spring game, see how Manning looks.

• Like 1

Ewers has about every tool you want from a quarterback in terms of sheer arm talent. His mechanics are super sloppy though, and I think that’s a good portion of his accuracy inconsistencies.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Ewers has about every tool you want from a quarterback in terms of sheer arm talent. His mechanics are super sloppy though, and I think that’s a good portion of his accuracy inconsistencies.

I'm thinking by next draft season he'll be a first rounder.

On 5/31/2024 at 6:23 PM, MWil23 said:

Penix was the same and to some degree, Maye.

On 5/31/2024 at 11:19 AM, Danger said:

I really wish Ewers just declared this year already.

He could've been over drafted in 2024 that was for sure. Strong chance he would have went 12 over Bo Nix. At worst 2nd round to a team like the Giants. 

He left a lot of plays on the field. Hasn't quite fully put it together. It's there talent wise. Unsure the mental make up and football IQ from him still. 

I still have to see it with Arch Manning. Is the name better than the player? Time will tell. 

On 5/31/2024 at 5:22 PM, MWil23 said:

I have no idea what anyone sees in Milroe as an NFL QB. None

Milroe is all projection.  At the start of last year, he was a certified liability to Bama's offense.  By the end of the season, he was making some plays, and even won the Auburn game for them in the end.

He's still way, way sloppier than you would want any legit NFL prospect to be, but the reason he's on the list is that he showed a lot of growth already, and everyone expects him to be much further along this year.  That plus elite physical tools.

On 5/23/2024 at 4:46 PM, Danger said:

Has all the tools, but Penn State and their poor coaching staff is holding him back IMO. Hard to get a read on how much he mentally understands the game at this time IMO.

Penn State's offensive coordinators have all sucked from 2020-2023. And of course James Franklin's a bum.

If Drew Allar, who i agree has the tools of a top 15 pick  (perhaps higher),wants to play in the NFL and even be picked in Rd 1 - should have transferred. Franklin is a bum and has no business developing NFL level pocket passers. Will Levis is a prime example - anyone who watched his tape at PSU then saw him at Kentucky, it was almost a full 360 in terms of performances. Levis went from Rainey/Franklin scheme offensively to Liam Coehn (former Rams QB/assist OC and now Bucs OC). 

Allar most likely will not declare. His accuracy woes seem footwork related - as I've seen his ball placement on some difficult throws become absolute dimes (included - suffered by drops). Playcalling last year was also atrocious and extremely predictable to the point Michigan ran the ball 35 times in the second half bc all of Penn states routes were 3-7 yards in or 30 yards down field. 

If he were declare and go say - round 3/4: It wouldn't shock me if he developed into an NFL starter under the right coaching staff. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Milroe is all projection.  At the start of last year, he was a certified liability to Bama's offense.  By the end of the season, he was making some plays, and even won the Auburn game for them in the end.

He's still way, way sloppier than you would want any legit NFL prospect to be, but the reason he's on the list is that he showed a lot of growth already, and everyone expects him to be much further along this year.  That plus elite physical tools.

It all depends on his development this year. The skill set is there. But the projection is - will he take the next step as a passer? If he does, he's a dangerous player and certainly will be first round prospect. 

I'm still unsure what folks see in Sanders. I'm not sure he was even a top 50 pick last year - talent wise. Like nothing really was exciting from his game at all. Maybe I just don't see it? 

3 minutes ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

If Drew Allar, who i agree has the tools of a top 15 pick  (perhaps higher),wants to play in the NFL and even be picked in Rd 1 - should have transferred. Franklin is a bum and has no business developing NFL level pocket passers. Will Levis is a prime example - anyone who watched his tape at PSU then saw him at Kentucky, it was almost a full 360 in terms of performances. Levis went from Rainey/Franklin scheme offensively to Liam Coehn (former Rams QB/assist OC and now Bucs OC). 

Allar most likely will not declare. His accuracy woes seem footwork related - as I've seen his ball placement on some difficult throws become absolute dimes (included - suffered by drops). Playcalling last year was also atrocious and extremely predictable to the point Michigan ran the ball 35 times in the second half bc all of Penn states routes were 3-7 yards in or 30 yards down field. 

If he were declare and go say - round 3/4: It wouldn't shock me if he developed into an NFL starter under the right coaching staff. 

I'm a Penn State fan and alumni.

You are completely correct.

Idk if Franklin himself is garbage, but his offensive coordinators/systems are. He gets kids in the building—does a great job recruiting and developing talent, but they’re severely dependent on ELITE talent making ELITE plays. They don’t have a QB-friendly scheme whatsoever. 

16 hours ago, Daniel said:

To me he is a very poor man’s Jalen Hurts. I just don’t get it with him at the next level with how inaccurate he is. 

9 hours ago, Armbar said:

Idk if Franklin himself is garbage, but his offensive coordinators/systems are. He gets kids in the building—does a great job recruiting and developing talent, but they’re severely dependent on ELITE talent making ELITE plays. They don’t have a QB-friendly scheme whatsoever. 

Since it's been every OC he's had - minus Moorehead 8 years or so ago, I'd say a lot of it is Scheme/system offensively. 

You're not wrong - some of his classes outranked Michigan for a few seasons. And it's not a surprise to see Penn state had what another 7 guys drafted in 2024? Think they had 7 or 8 guys last year. Heck they abandoned the run many times with two stud 5 star running backs that were phenomenal in 2022. lol. 

It's one thing to bring the talent in but I don't agree he's developing talent. And its' a question mark on his offensive coaching staff as his background is on that side of the ball. Is he only bringing guys in that run his scheme? If so - that needs to be scrapped entirely. Defensively, I think he's been a bit hands off and seems to get some of the best guys on that side of the ball. Prye was great for multiple years followed by Manny Diaz.