Joey Porter Jr ...Best CB in the league ?

https://www.nfl.com/news/steelers-joey-porter-jr-says-hes-best-cornerback-in-nfl

The second-year corner was asked by The Athletic's Mark Kaboly who the best of the best was, and Porter wasn't shy about touting his talent.

"Me, for sure," Porter said last week at Steelers OTAs.

I'd advise to read the whole article linked above .. I figured I'd leave some intrigue if you hadnt read or heard the whole story. 

I think Joey is pretty nice and am very happy we got him. I had, and still have, one not so obvious concern about Joey's results being misleading despite some visually good play. 

The cornerbacks playing opposite him and many of the other coverage guys on the field were so poor that it made little sense to attack Porter despite him covering the other teams #1 guy. Levi Wallace was absolutely abysmal and was every teams go to against target when they needed a play. 

I believe we'll get to see a few more degrees of truth as far as how good Joey is keeping up if he gets targeted more. 

Saw a chart that I can't find again this morning showing CBs and their work against WR1's on the year. Porter was on an island in the "good" quadrant with 1 other player as lining up against 1's constantly and having success against separation with them. Really, really encouraging from a rookie. 

The other player: Ladarius Sneed, who was trade for a 2025 pick from a team that had interest in Diontae Johnson. Ahhh a boy can dream about what that tandem would have looked like....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

I prefer guys that let their play do the talking, but to expect the apple to fall far from the tree is not going to happen. Just keep improving JPJ and we’ll all be happy. 

I mean, it isn't like JPJ said this out of the blue. He was asked who the best is and he answered. The confidence is great and if he is ever going to solidly be the best CB, he has to have this confidence IMO.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 9:12 AM, Dcash4 said:

Saw a chart that I can't find again this morning showing CBs and their work against WR1's on the year. Porter was on an island in the "good" quadrant with 1 other player as lining up against 1's constantly and having success against separation with them. Really, really encouraging from a rookie. 

The other player: Ladarius Sneed, who was trade for a 2025 pick from a team that had interest in Diontae Johnson. Ahhh a boy can dream about what that tandem would have looked like....

thats what  would have done priority #1 in UFA, trade for Sneed and be set with possibly  2 of the best CB's for the next 5 years. Be set and remove WR1 and WR2, then focus on finally being able to defend TE's.  

Instead they will waste capspace on a fragile TE that can't block 

On 5/30/2024 at 8:12 AM, Dcash4 said:

I saw that too. Interesting data. 

too bad Khan didn't see that as well, really missed opportunity right there, to possibly have the 2 best CB's in the league.  still some colbert effect going on in the FO at times

Wow, that is very interesting, would have been something to watch, that’s for sure. 

On 6/1/2024 at 4:44 AM, rlon said:

Well, the only way to be the best CB in the league is to first believe you are…it’s not a position for fragile egos.

and rank 1st in all the major categories, by a margin and prefer to do so while covering the WR1. He's doing good, can't ask for much more other than someone comparable opposite of him to help the defence overall.