2 fast fringe players not to sleep on?

Posted (edited)

Anyone have any current opinions on WR Mims and CB Barnes? Two guys with speed who may surprise. Right now, Mims would seem to have the better shot, though a player added to either position likely seals their fate (there are two guys out there with the same last name, for example). I liked Barnes’ tape when in trailing coverage, it doesn’t look like anyone can outrun him. Short area may be more of a challenge. Mims has the height and speed combo, seems like he would benefit by adding some strength. I kind of hold out hope with any player who’s been through the Jet organization, because I think it’s poor in terms of giving up on players too soon and being too reactive to the NY media early in players’ careers.

I do see a high possibility of signing Cam Sutton when they get an idea as to the impending punishment. Courtland, I would imagine, might demand a trade to the Steelers if we are lucky. A third and Van Jefferson sounds good to me, hold on to the speed in your third through fifth WRs.

Edited by rlon

• 2 weeks later...

In Smiths offence , will it matter that much as long as GP, Wilson, CA3 and the TE's are producing?  CA3 could be the one that gets less snaps if he doesn't step up. He does have a QB now though, so it's expected to be much better anyways for everyone :D 

These WR's might have it good here if the run game and OL help out the QB's and smith makes some nice designs for the passing attack as a result.   

question is, does this offence need a WR2 if GP stays healthy and the OL /run game and TE's get to where they are expected?  

I liked Mims coming out and despite knowing better about those Baylor WR it was hard not to be enamored with his height, speed and vertical ability. 

He's been a very big disappointment. 

Another Mims should take a big leap for Denver this year if they can get the ball to him. 

• Like 1

I think Donte Jackson might have a really good year for us. I think he's got the talent and athleticism. I think mental fit is a big thing for players. Being on a winner for the first time in his career could be big for him. He'll be on the most talented defensive unit he's ever been on too. He won't be expected to be the best player in the secondary. He should be going against non #1s. A lot is lining up for him to have a big year. 

A few folks I think could be interesting...

- hearing about a much improved 'Marv' Leal, which could be huge for us
- The Raven's who aren't Queen - A.Averett and D.Elliott, could be big for us
- C.Austin - could end up being a real surprise

1 hour ago, mwalker said:

- hearing about a much improved 'Marv' Leal, which could be huge for us

maybe a way to hype him for a trade so they can get something for him. He's useless unless they keep him as a 4-3 DE.  Even then , in passing situations Herbig is the reserve, so Leal doesn't appear to have a chance. After last year, they should trade him and move on

1 hour ago, mwalker said:

C.Austin - could end up being a real surprise

everyone catching passes will be, they have a legit QB and OC for a change

On 6/13/2024 at 10:35 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

A lot is lining up for him to have a big year. 

does he have his speed back though? He had a major injury a few years ago, sometimes players lose some speed as a result

8 hours ago, 3rivers said:

maybe a way to hype him for a trade so they can get something for him. He's useless unless they keep him as a 4-3 DE.  Even then , in passing situations Herbig is the reserve, so Leal doesn't appear to have a chance. After last year, they should trade him and move on

everyone catching passes will be, they have a legit QB and OC for a change

does he have his speed back though? He had a major injury a few years ago, sometimes players lose some speed as a result

I think Leal at 6'4 290 (or so) is more in competition with Lowdermilk than Herbig, to be fair. 

5 hours ago, mwalker said:

I think Leal at 6'4 290 (or so) is more in competition with Lowdermilk than Herbig, to be fair. 

I don’t see Leal making this team…

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I saw a puff piece saying he was looking good in camp. But it may be just that. A puff piece. 

Leal is only going into his 3rd year, will only be 24 and needed some work coming out.   We dont have much young talent on the DLine.   I think DL could be a major focus next offseason, but I dont see Leal getting cut unless he is abysmally bad.

This is a make or break year for several players on our roster.   Its crazy how bad Colbert's final draft may end up being if Leal and Austin dont step up.    Pickens may be the only saving grace, but his character defects could still hurt his chances too.

Sure would have been nice to see what Khan and Weidl would have done in 2022, as opposed to letting washed up Colbert run the offseason with one foot out the door. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 43M said:

Leal is only going into his 3rd year, will only be 24 and needed some work coming out.   We dont have much young talent on the DLine.   I think DL could be a major focus next offseason, but I dont see Leal getting cut unless he is abysmally bad.

This is a make or break year for several players on our roster.   Its crazy how bad Colbert's final draft may end up being if Leal and Austin dont step up.    Pickens may be the only saving grace, but his character defects could still hurt his chances too.

Sure would have been nice to see what Khan and Weidl would have done in 2022, as opposed to letting washed up Colbert run the offseason with one foot out the door. 

There’s another guy I’m more annoyed by getting an extra make or break year and that’s Loudermilk. Dude gives nothing. He’s supposedly a run stopper with terrible run stopping numbers. Not only that we traded up to get him in the draft.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

There’s another guy I’m more annoyed by getting an extra make or break year and that’s Loudermilk. Dude gives nothing. He’s supposedly a run stopper with terrible run stopping numbers. Not only that we traded up to get him in the draft.

Yeah, never got why people defend him.   Never thought he looked good at all on any kind of consistent level.   The fact that he was a 5th round backup player and we have had so many other issues have distracted a bit from his mediocrity.

Should be his last year on the team.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, rlon said:

I don’t see Leal making this team…

I could see both Leal and Loudermilk not making the team. They've both shown effectively zero so far. 

Cam, Larry O, Benton, Adams, Lowry, Lee, ... well, I guess one of those bums will probably make the team. Neither of them deserve to be on the team, but one will probably be the last guy on the depth chart.