TAPT Version 71.0 Kent Branstetter never votes for an incumbent

12 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Full disclosure before I go on this bit of a rant. I'm not a fan of the WNBA but have been following the news. I even watched one of Indiana's games. 

Here are five facts. 

1. The NBA owns 50% of the WNBA. 

2. The NBA subsidizes the WNBA to keep it afloat to the tune of 15 million a year. 

3. Female talking heads are screaming about the inequality of pay between men and women's professional basketball pay. Clearly none of these buffoons knows anything about economics. LMFAO! 

(Makes me want to side with Butker's speech because of #3.) 

4. Attendance and viewership are way up in the WNBA, at Caitlin Clark's games. Teams are actually now taking charter flights! 

5. Many of the other women are jealous because they aren't getting any attention. 

So, riddle me this. How in the **** do you leave Caitlin Clark off the Olympic team? I don't care how much you think she will play, you put her on the team. The viewership would be triple or more if she were on the team. The exposure to women's basketball would be incredible. 

This is got to be one of the single dumbest moves I've seen in sports. It's almost like they'd rather have something to ***** about than grow the game and make bank. 

Side note: I think McAfee is still going to be fired for the 'white *****,' comment. The comment was completely inappropriate. The knives are out. He skated on the Rodgers ordeal; I think his days are numbered. 

End rant, but I reserve the right to pick it up again unless this stupidity stops. 

1. This is true. 

2. This is true. 

3. I don't know if screaming is the right word. I've never been in a job where people didn't opine that they deserved to be paid more. 

4. This is true. 

5. This is true, but you're remiss to not mention many of them are also racist as hell about it. 

+++

The USWNT hasn't lost an Olympic basketball game in my lifetime. The composition of the roster is basically irrelevant. If they didn't take players 1-15 and instead took players 31-45, the USWNT would still dominate at the Olympics. 

Let's also be clear, Clark is not in the 15 best players in the WNBA. From that perspective, she did not deserve to make the team. 

The argument for her inclusion boils down to: 

1. Does the team need shooting such that her being the 23rd-ish best player in the league is acceptable considering her specialty? 

2. Does her youth play a factor for long term development? 

3. Do off-the-court variables get factored into roster construction? 

+++

USA Basketball (Women's) is basically irrelevant. It comes out of the same bucket as the Men's. A whole bunch of people watching their Olympic games doesn't really matter for them. 

+++

McAfee isn't getting fired. ESPN knew what they were getting when they brought in McAfee. He did his apology and everything is cleaned up. 

****, I don't know if ESPN has the cash on hand to fire McAfee if they wanted to. 

7 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Oh no, Women Communists are signing petitions. I'm sure that .002% of ESPN's audience is ENRAGED by this. 

ESPN knows how this story plays. ESPN manufactured the CC story that we see today. 

If ESPN wanted this story to stop being a racial one, they could stop it from being the immediately by prohibiting their people from talking about that ****. They don't. In fact, they encourage it. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

3. I don't know if screaming is the right word. I've never been in a job where people didn't opine that they deserved to be paid more. 

+++

The USWNT hasn't lost an Olympic basketball game in my lifetime. The composition of the roster is basically irrelevant. If they didn't take players 1-15 and instead took players 31-45, the USWNT would still dominate at the Olympics. 

Let's also be clear, Clark is not in the 15 best players in the WNBA. From that perspective, she did not deserve to make the team. 

The argument for her inclusion boils down to: 

1. Does the team need shooting such that her being the 23rd-ish best player in the league is acceptable considering her specialty? 

2. Does her youth play a factor for long term development? 

3. Do off-the-court variables get factored into roster construction? 

+++

USA Basketball (Women's) is basically irrelevant. It comes out of the same bucket as the Men's. A whole bunch of people watching their Olympic games doesn't really matter for them. 

OK, wanting to be paid more is a lot different than thinking women in the WNBA should be paid like men in the NBA. No different than when Rapinoe was bitching because the women who played in the world cup did not get paid on a par with the men. These people are economically illiterate. 

I don't disagree with any of your comments regarding Clark, although she is more than just a shooter. She has incredible vision on the court and is a tremendous passer. It's not about that. The more eyes on the women's game, WNBA, Olympics, whatever, that is what gets bigger advertising deals and leads to bigger contracts. Like or hate her, she gets people to tune into games.

She is a miniature version of Tiger Woods when he turned professional. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

OK, wanting to be paid more is a lot different than thinking women in the WNBA should be paid like men in the NBA. No different than when Rapinoe was bitching because the women who played in the world cup did not get paid on a par with the men. These people are economically illiterate. 

I don't disagree with any of your comments regarding Clark, although she is more than just a shooter. She had incredible vision on the court and is a tremendous passer. It's not about that. The more eyes on the women's game, WNBA, Olympics, whatever, that is what gets bigger advertising deals and leads to bigger contracts. Like or hate her, she gets people to tune into games.

She is a miniature version of Tiger Woods when he turned professional. 

I haven't seen any WNBA player saying they should be paid like men. This is significantly different than Rapinoe trying to pressure the government into breaking a contract that she signed, under some absolutely insane reading of US Civil Rights law. 

She doesn't have incredible vision. She's a decent passer who had massively inflated assist stats in college because she had the ball 90% of the time. This is the Allen Iverson effect. She's got a very average handle and is a very average defender. 

People who "Aren't just a shooter" aren't taking 66% of their FGA as 3s. 

The problem with the women's game as you're indicating is that if they get bigger advertising deals, etc. the NBA's subsidization is going to slip. It's pretty much a net zero gain. The other issue is that advertisers in the WNBA are going to specific players, not the WNBA as a whole. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Everything you posted is basically spot on but honestly she's getting her feet under her and I absolutely think she is top 15 already. 30 pts, 8 assists, and 6 rebounds in Thursday's win. If David Stern were still alive, he'd remind whoever is running women's basketball and the national team that the only reason they have a professional league to play in is because of the NBA subsidy and as such Caitlin Clark will be on the olympic team. But Adam Silver is a rubbery twerp so no one with a business brain is going to step in and set things straight.

Edited by Mr Anonymous

27 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Everything you posted is basically spot on but honestly she's getting her feet under her and I absolutely think she is top 15 already. 30 pts, 8 assists, and 6 rebounds in Thursday's win. If David Stern were still alive, he'd remind whoever is running women's basketball and the national team that the only reason they have a professional league to play in is because of the NBA subsidy and as such Caitlin Clark will be on the olympic team. But Adam Silver is a rubbery twerp so no one with a business brain is going to step in and set things straight.

Pretty apparent that nobody with a business brain works in the WNBA. All of their recent success, including that of the recent rookie class, is as a result of bleeding heart leftists at ESPN and ESG investment. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eternal said:

You read that story about Pokimane too? Haha. I can't believe a guy did that. So odd!

I saw it on a couple of the commentary channels.  It is really funny.  Not sure that I believe her, I mean, that is a LOT of self pleasure to be constantly missing deadlines, that are probably days, not specific times.  And even then, I don't understand how the guy couldn't just do his job, keep his own favorite moments in a separate personal file, and do his own business after "work."  I mean, how difficult is it to edit a Pokimane video?

She is a bizarre phenomenon to me, the only reason I know who she is, is because she used to make ASMR videos, and those were very tame.  I don't know if I have seen a person with a more polarizing response, while simultaneously being so mundane.  As far as I can tell, she just watches youtube videos and sometimes plays video games.  But some dudes act like she is Aphrodite reborn, while others insist that she is a 4/10 on a good day, and they wouldn't even look at her twice if they saw her in public.  I just don't get it.  

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I haven't seen any WNBA player saying they should be paid like men. This is significantly different than Rapinoe trying to pressure the government into breaking a contract that she signed, under some absolutely insane reading of US Civil Rights law. 

She doesn't have incredible vision. She's a decent passer who had massively inflated assist stats in college because she had the ball 90% of the time. This is the Allen Iverson effect. She's got a very average handle and is a very average defender. 

I wasn't speaking about WNBA players; I was speaking to the talking heads who have been saying this. It was really loud when Brittany Griner was in prison in Russia for being a dumbass. People were talking about how she had to go overseas to make a living because she was only making 150K a year. They opined they needed to be paid like the men, which is lunacy. 

I'll respectfully disagree with the bolded part. She sees the floor extremely well and she gets it to people in a position to do something with it. Her ball handling is suspect. When they pressure her bringing it up court she struggles. In fact, she defers and get out of the way in those situations. 

18 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No, you didn't misread it. You didn't bother to read it.

You looked at the GBPG's garbage headline and since it lined up with your preconceived biases, you didn't look any further into it.

Nope. Wrong again. I misread it. Have a nice day.

18 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Full disclosure before I go on this bit of a rant. I'm not a fan of the WNBA but have been following the news. I even watched one of Indiana's games. 

Here are five facts. 

1. The NBA owns 50% of the WNBA. 

2. The NBA subsidizes the WNBA to keep it afloat to the tune of 15 million a year. 

3. Female talking heads are screaming about the inequality of pay between men and women's professional basketball pay. Clearly none of these buffoons knows anything about economics. LMFAO! 

(Makes me want to side with Butker's speech because of #3.) 

4. Attendance and viewership are way up in the WNBA, at Caitlin Clark's games. Teams are actually now taking charter flights! 

5. Many of the other women are jealous because they aren't getting any attention. 

So, riddle me this. How in the **** do you leave Caitlin Clark off the Olympic team? I don't care how much you think she will play, you put her on the team. The viewership would be triple or more if she were on the team. The exposure to women's basketball would be incredible. 

This is got to be one of the single dumbest moves I've seen in sports. It's almost like they'd rather have something to ***** about than grow the game and make bank. 

Side note: I think McAfee is still going to be fired for the 'white *****,' comment. The comment was completely inappropriate. The knives are out. He skated on the Rodgers ordeal; I think his days are numbered. 

End rant, but I reserve the right to pick it up again unless this stupidity stops. 

Is there a tradition of having a young, up and coming player on the Olympic team?  I honestly don't know.  That's the only way it makes sense for Clark to have a spot.  As for the "incredible" exposure this could be for women's basketball, I don't follow.  How does watching Clark ride the bench until garbage time translate to being a big win for the sport of women's basketball? She wouldn't start, or even be a primary reserve.  You seem to want her on the team because she's popular. That's dumb.

LOL on thinking ESPN will fire McAfee.  Not happening.  He's one of the few valuable on-air talents they still have, and he's delivering on everything they wanted/expected of him when they hired him.