TAPT Version 71.0 Kent Branstetter never votes for an incumbent

Just now, incognito_man said:

not mine

i milk the potatoes myself

Something like 3% of vodka on the market comes from potatoes, mostly the Polish stuff.   Potatoes are just harder to ferment than grain because their sugars are bound up in complex starches that need more processing to become available to the friendly microbes that do your fermentation for you..

Mostly vodka was made from potatoes when people didn't have something better to ferment, which is not exactly high praise.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Can't argue against an air fryer.  We got one, and we use it pretty regularly.

I have one and I'm thinking about ditching it, we hardly ever use it. It's just a slightly quicker oven with much less capacity imho, at least for us. Granted, our cuisine is probably very different from yours so ymmv.

15 hours ago, Refugee said:

When I'm back in Milwaukee and craving a Friday fish fry, a spot with potato pancakes will definitely be a tiebreaker.  It's one of those things that really needs a deep fryer if you want to nail it.  I am pretty comfortable in the kitchen but I'm not deep frying at home.  Air fry might be a good alternative.

So I do not have a Blackstone, but I did get a griddle and I put it on half of my Weber Gas grill.

It would be perfect for potato pancakes.   I gotta try that.  Get them to spread out on that griddle and cook on high heat.

Wish I could tell you where to go for good fish and good potato pancakes, but I've got nothing.

Hogg Alley in Delafield is pretty good.  Fish is quite good, potato pancakes are home made, but they are small and nothing to write home about.  Better than store bought crap, but nothing like an authentic potato pancake.

14 hours ago, Refugee said:

I understand how to do it and have worked commercial kitchens with full fryer setups. It’s just not worth it for me to do small scale in my kitchen and clean up. I have an outdoor burner I use for crab boils and could set up a deep fry with cast iron but the amount of oil not worth the trouble for me. 

I prefer my fried fish to be done outside on a camp burner.  I have a very large frying pot for this.  I let the oil cook, then I put it back into a sealable container and I re-use it many times.

The best part about frying outside is no mess in the house.  No smell.  The second best part is that I can get the oil much hotter, quicker than an electric small deep fryer.  Those are fine, but once fish goes in, it loses heat quickly.

Those camp ones keep the heat up there much better.  370 is the ideal temp for how I do the fish.

And I've been blessed to have gotten into enough walleyes lately to have us eating fresh fish for most of the late summer.

4 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

I have one and I'm thinking about ditching it, we hardly ever use it. It's just a slightly quicker oven with much less capacity imho, at least for us. Granted, our cuisine is probably very different from yours so ymmv.

I love mine, but I have one with racks in it like an oven as opposed to those bin types.  Racks are better.

I hate it for battered fish.  Just turns everything to glue.  But, if you find a store bought and frozen beer battle style fish, it works great.

I love doing chicken breasts in the air fryer.  Just season them up, put a very small amount of olive oil on each side, spread it out and let it cook.  It is excellent.

Works on salmon fillets and pork chops, too.

It also cooks a mean turkey burger.

I use my air fryer all the time.  Even found out how to make myself a little "diet" cheat meal.  I get a wrap, like Ole Wellness Keto wraps.  I put pizza sauce on it, turkey pepperoni and then some mozzarella cheese.  That thing cooks up fresh with crispy crust and I get my pizza fix.  And it is diet friendly.

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

The best part about frying outside is no mess in the house.  No smell. 

That is key.  Love fried chicken.  Hate the mess, and really hate the smell that kind of hangs in the air after frying stuff in a pan.  And if you are going to deep fry something, it is an even bigger mess and a lot of oil.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That is key.  Love fried chicken.  Hate the mess, and really hate the smell that kind of hangs in the air after frying stuff in a pan.  And if you are going to deep fry something, it is an even bigger mess and a lot of oil.  

In no way, shape or form is exactly the same, but air frying bone in chicken is really good.  It isn't as crispy or as good as deep frying, but it is kind of a cross between deep frying and oven baking.  And it's done really fast without the mess or smell.

35 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

In no way, shape or form is exactly the same, but air frying bone in chicken is really good.  It isn't as crispy or as good as deep frying, but it is kind of a cross between deep frying and oven baking.  And it's done really fast without the mess or smell.

Honestly, when I want fried chicken, I just buy it.  I don't have to worry about the fried oil smell, cleaning the oil, disposing of the oil, and it is already cooked for me, so I don't have to do that.  Find a local grocery store or chicken place that you like.  Have I made better myself? Probably.  Have I also made much worse? Definitely.  

I kind of look at it like changing my car's oil.  Sure, I can do it.  But it costs just as much, takes twice as long, and I have to clean up afterwards.  

Also, fajitas, same problem as fried chicken.  But man, do I love me some fajitas.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Honestly, when I want fried chicken, I just buy it. 

This 👆. Done.

I've got a toaster-convection oven / air fryer combo - and while I've air fried some things - I'm not a big user of the feature. 

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I kind of look at it like changing my car's oil.  Sure, I can do it.  But it costs just as much, takes twice as long, and I have to clean up afterwards. 

Some times is just pays to pay somebody else.