Chicago Cubs Thread - The Ricketts are too poor to pay players

pwny

1 hour ago, pwny said:

Coached up trash PR responses from Rusell. He sounded like a damn robot. This whole thing is gross. 

I have been away all day and haven't gotten to watch them.  Was Russell more robotic than usual?  The guy has never been a good one to interview.  

4 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I have been away all day and haven't gotten to watch them.  Was Russell more robotic than usual?  The guy has never been a good one to interview.  

He also repeated basically the exact same answer to multiple questions. To me, this isn’t a good look at all. 

On 2/15/2019 at 4:42 PM, pwny said:

He also repeated basically the exact same answer to multiple questions. To me, this isn’t a good look at all. 

Who cares what he says, I care what he does to learn from this. You aren't going to get juicy details from a press conference. If you are expecting that you are going to be disappointed. Give the kid a chance to learn from this and not judge him on a press conference.

1 minute ago, bootsy said:

Who cares what he says, I care what he does to learn from this. You aren't going to get juicy details from a press conference. If you are expecting that you are going to be disappointed. Give the kid a chance to learn from this and not judge him on a press conference.

Like not being current on his child support? Like paying back child support in coins? Those kinds of actions that show he's still behaving like a child?

And the fact that he can't say anything real and instead has to robotically repeat the same exact PR phrases over and over tells me all I need to know about his remorse for what he did.

11 hours ago, pwny said:

Like not being current on his child support? Like paying back child support in coins? Those kinds of actions that show he's still behaving like a child?

And the fact that he can't say anything real and instead has to robotically repeat the same exact PR phrases over and over tells me all I need to know about his remorse for what he did.

Like I said are really expecting this guy to break down child support at a press conference? Who the hell does that? I'll tell you, no one.  I don't care about his child support. That's between him and his baby mothers. That's his business not ours.

19 minutes ago, bootsy said:

Like I said are really expecting this guy to break down child support at a press conference? Who the hell does that? I'll tell you, no one.  I don't care about his child support. That's between him and his baby mothers. That's his business not ours.

If you can't understand there's acceptable behavior in the range between monotone PR answers that show disinterest in the topic and breaking down child support payments, that's on you.

You're the one who said you cared what he does to show he's learned from this. Wouldn't him refusing to pay child support show he's not taking his responsibilities seriously? Wouldn't paying back child support in coins show he's still being unnecessarily disrespectful to Melisa? You say you care what he does to learn from this, but also don't care about his actions that shows he is still immature and not taking responsibility? What, is he just supposed to get a free pass for all his actions until it becomes public that he abused another woman?

We're not asking for the world here, we're asking for him to at put effort into his voice inflection to where he sounds remorseful. That's it. 

9 hours ago, pwny said:

If you can't understand there's acceptable behavior in the range between monotone PR answers that show disinterest in the topic and breaking down child support payments, that's on you.

You're the one who said you cared what he does to show he's learned from this. Wouldn't him refusing to pay child support show he's not taking his responsibilities seriously? Wouldn't paying back child support in coins show he's still being unnecessarily disrespectful to Melisa? You say you care what he does to learn from this, but also don't care about his actions that shows he is still immature and not taking responsibility? What, is he just supposed to get a free pass for all his actions until it becomes public that he abused another woman?

We're not asking for the world here, we're asking for him to at put effort into his voice inflection to where he sounds remorseful. That's it. 

This.  

And yeah, I watched the interview finally.  Not what I wanted to see at all.  

18 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

Figured we'd at least sign a backup catcher this offseason.

This team is still good though, especially if everyone is healthy. Could easily be better than last years team. Also wouldn't surprise me if were worse. 

I'm excited for the season though that's for sure.

A healthy KB and a healthy Darvish are HUGE additions to this squad from last year.  A full season of Hamels, if we get the good one, is huge as well.  It's still a really good team and legit contender.  

But the issue is that the Cardinals really narrowed the gap this offseason.  The Brewers are a solid team (although I think they regress a fair bit this year) and are a threat.  Even the Pirates and Reds made some moves and are respectable teams that are capable of becoming a surprise contender with a few good breaks.  The NL Central is really good right now and I would have really liked to see some clear improvements brought in from outside the organization to keep up with the improvements throughout the division.  

But Bryce hasn't been signed yet, and with all the bad PR the Cubs have had this offseason (Joe Ricketts being a terrible human being, Russell still on the team, Tom Ricketts lying about there being no money, Cubs partnering with Sinclair, etc), it would be a PERFECT time for Tom to open up the coffers and play the role of the knight in shining armor.  Cubs sign Bryce to a 10 year, $310 million deal and Tom can say, "The money wasn't there, but we love the team so much and it's important to our fans that we put the best product possible on the field for them. As such, my siblings and I agreed to go out of our operating budget for the team and find the necessary funds to bring in a generational talent like Bryce Harper to the Cubs."

I'm pretty shocked that the Cubs haven't signed a backup catcher. With the issues that Contreras has with framing, you would think that they would want a veteran back there that has those skills. I don't care for Caritini, who didn't really do much behind the plate or with the bat so far. 

The team seems to be relying on everybody staying healthy and either improving or not getting any worse in order to win this year, which is very risky.

On 2/21/2019 at 7:56 AM, Lions017 said:

I'm pretty shocked that the Cubs haven't signed a backup catcher. With the issues that Contreras has with framing, you would think that they would want a veteran back there that has those skills. I don't care for Caritini, who didn't really do much behind the plate or with the bat so far. 

The team seems to be relying on everybody staying healthy and either improving or not getting any worse in order to win this year, which is very risky.

I don't hate Caratini.  He just isn't a good complement to Contreras.  He probably needs to be dealt to another organization.