Steelers extend HC Mike Tomlin through 2027

SteelKing728

9 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

I'd hire Tomlin just on his ability to handle a locker room. It's hard to handle stars when you aren't winning SBs (because who wants to listen to the guy sinking your career?) - yet, somehow, Tomlin keeps a lid on it. I think he's a great coach, but he hasn't won a playoff game in 6 years and it's amazing he hasn't lost the locker room or the FO (BB was outed for pretty similar performance and he gave Boston 6 rings).

This doesn't mean I don't think he's a great coach (you're only as good as your QB), but I'm saying I'd hire him just on the respect he garners from the players.

Well they have had a lot of player issues so I'm not sure I buy in. Players quitting on the field, going live on social media during meetings, being punished for going out on the field during the National Anthem, etc...

Not saying he is to blame for players being idiots, but he hasn't really corralled the idiots that well.

He is a fine coach though. It's probably his best quality.

I mean Steelers can do a lot worse. Their chances of bouncing back with Tomlin into a top squad are probably better than taking a chance on another coach. Probably first-time head coach. The Rooney family has been operating like this for 50 plus years. And they've largely been successful regardless of times changing. This is the same ownership that extended Bill Cower after 3 non playoff seasons. And that was before he won a ring. Steelers will surge again. Tomlin will find a way.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

8 hours ago, BradfordSteeler said:

Should've stopped reading here...

Because Tomlin's the best ever, right?

8 hours ago, BradfordSteeler said:

Then read this and laughed my *** off. The idea that there is only one situation in the league that is worse than the Steelers (that's a team that has been to the playoffs 2 out of the last 4 years and hasn't had a losing season in something like 20 years) is actually hilarious.

OK, fair enough. However, being proud of making the playoffs and not having a losing season is pretty sad.

The Rooney's don't seem to get that accountability is more important than stability. They don't hold Tomlin accountable, and the team pays for it.

There was this decade called the 70's. In that decade, the Steelers won 4 SB's. That should be the standard, not sneaking into the playoffs and going 9-8 every year.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 2:47 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Ben retired almost 4 years ago, how many more years do you need?

Yes that's true, but in the final 4-5 years of Colbert's career his drafting decisions put this team in a bad way. I think that had a lot more to do with it than anything. 

Kenny Pickett was a desperate selection because he had refused to make a real effort to find a successor to Ben in the past but also Colbert had one foot out the door so ultimately he knew it wouldn't affect him greatly if it was a failed decision (which it was) 

Khan has come in and redone a lot of what Colbert did, for the better.

Now Tomlin gets a real opportunity with a young, high promise team. I think he will do well.

Edited by VigilantZombie

11 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

There was this decade called the 70's. In that decade, the Steelers won 4 SB's. That should be the standard

4 SBs every 10 years should be the standard?!?!?!?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

I know and Tom Brady averaged what, 3.2 Super Bowls every ten years? What a SCRUB!!!

Glad the Bears never settled for that bum. 😅

• Like 2

11 of the last 13 seasons he’s coached since losing the SB in 2010 have resulted in entering the offseason without a single playoff win

Thats pretty nuts 

Edited by Ray Reed

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

11 of the last 13 seasons he’s coached since losing the SB in 2010 have resulted in entering the offseason without a single playoff win

Thats pretty nuts 

Is it?

Stretch of years without a playoff win:

Andy Reid - 9/11 (2007-2017)
John Harbaugh - 8/10 (2013-2022)
Don Shula - 9/10 (1974-1983)
Bill Parcells - 9/11 (1993-2006)
Tom Landry - 9/11 (1960-1970)
Chuck Noll - 10/12 (1980-1991)

None of these are quite as bad as 11/13, to your point, but I would also argue all of these guys, except maybe Harbaugh (but he’s certainly on par if not better), are historically considered better coaches than Tomlin.

I guess it seems common to me to have stretches without playoff success like this when you have a career of 15+ years, especially if you aren’t an all time elite coach.*

* - I think Tomlin prolly a HoF coach but not like a top 10 all timer

25 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Is it?

Stretch of years without a playoff win:

Andy Reid - 9/11 (2007-2017)
John Harbaugh - 8/10 (2013-2022)
Don Shula - 9/10 (1974-1983)
Bill Parcells - 9/11 (1993-2006)
Tom Landry - 9/11 (1960-1970)
Chuck Noll - 10/12 (1980-1991)

None of these are quite as bad as 11/13, to your point, but I would also argue all of these guys, except maybe Harbaugh (but he’s certainly on par if not better), are historically considered better coaches than Tomlin.

I guess it seems common to me to have stretches without playoff success like this when you have a career of 15+ years, especially if you aren’t an all time elite coach.*

* - I think Tomlin prolly a HoF coach but not like a top 10 all timer

Good stats, definitely surprising and worth thinking about.

I think with Tomlin at least a lot of it comes from how recent those seasons have been leading up to the timing of the extension - of those 11/13 seasons, it’s been 7 in a row where they haven’t won a playoff game. Just feels like a long stretch to go on right before getting another 3 year extension

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Good stats, definitely surprising and worth thinking about.

I think with Tomlin at least a lot of it comes from how recent those seasons have been leading up to the timing of the extension - of those 11/13 seasons, it’s been 7 in a row where they haven’t won a playoff game. Just feels like a long stretch to go on right before getting another 3 year extension

Fair point.

7 in a row is harder to defend was hoping you wouldn’t mention that. 

• Like 1