Jaguars extend QB Trevor Lawrence (5 years, $275M, $200M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

12 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

Honestly - The Jags are the Jags for a reason. The ravens made Joe Flacco play out his rookie contract to prove his worth. And He was much further along through 3 years than Lawerance is.

This is an interesting comparison but as a Ravens fan my intuition is that I don't agree.

Flacco improved years 1-3 but was surrounded by a great D and team overall. He played in 7 playoff games but only had 1 good game, and had brutal exits to PIT and IND. It seemed like he would get exposed when not carried by the D and running game.

From a statistical standpoint I can see where you are coming from, but to me Lawrence is just way more talented and can make more "wow" plays.

• Like 1

I remain a Lawrence believer, but he has to be by far the least accomplished QB to ever get such a massive extension, right?  2 of his 3 seasons have been mediocre to bad.  His one good season still wasn't THAT good and he threw 4 INTs in his sole playoff win, although he does deserve credit for the comeback as well.

I can't think of a single QB with a worse resume that still cashed in on such a massive extension.  

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I remain a Lawrence believer, but he has to be by far the least accomplished QB to ever get such a massive extension, right?  2 of his 3 seasons have been mediocre to bad.  His one good season still wasn't THAT good and he threw 4 INTs in his sole playoff win, although he does deserve credit for the comeback as well.

I can't think of a single QB with a worse resume that still cashed in on such a massive extension.  

Jimmy g was the highest paid player in NFL history for a very brief time. He had started 7 games at that point, I think.

That said, the QB salaries have increased in terms of percentage of the cap. Jimmy's aav percent was like 15% of the cap the year he signed. For Trevor it's what, 21%?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Jimmy g was the highest paid player in NFL history for a very brief time. He had started 7 games at that point, I think.

That said, the QB salaries have increased in terms of percentage of the cap. Jimmy's aav percent was like 15% of the cap the year he signed. For Trevor it's what, 21%?

Five years, $137.5M. I know Jimmy’s was five years Trevor’s is four, but pretty crazy to think that over the course of 6ish years, the contracts have doubled for QBs. 

12 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

This is an interesting comparison but as a Ravens fan my intuition is that I don't agree.

Flacco improved years 1-3 but was surrounded by a great D and team overall. He played in 7 playoff games but only had 1 good game, and had brutal exits to PIT and IND. It seemed like he would get exposed when not carried by the D and running game.

From a statistical standpoint I can see where you are coming from, but to me Lawrence is just way more talented and can make more "wow" plays.

I can disagree that Lawerance is "way more talented". Joe flacco was better in 2023 than Lawerance coming off the couch lol. 

Lawerance was surround by superb talent at Clemson and was deemed a generational talent. That is simply not the case. While I agree there needs to be some weapons for him to reach a tier 2 level QB ranking - He's simply being paid as a Super Bowl QB and he's only won 9 games in his "best" season. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Brandon Staley deserves more credit for that comeback than Trevor Lawerance. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

https://x.com/theryanmichael/status/1802719728093290655

Click the link since Twitter didn't wanna place nice and then maybe you can see why the jags gave him the deal.

Execution games? How many games did they win of those 8? How many TD's did the offense have? 

If this is your argument for the massive deal he got - it's weak. He's still not putting points on the board. 

He got a contract bc the Jags hope he becomes the messiah everyone raved about in 2021 before he played a down in the NFL. "The next peyton manning" - he is not. This deal hinders them from putting talent around him - which got him to high places in clemson when it was superb during 2 of his 3 years there. 

14 hours ago, Soko said:

The unique problem with Dak is that the Cowboys actually played the “let’s wait and see” game, and lost. The last contract they gave Dak included things like a no-trade clause and he can’t be franchise tagged in 2025. He’s also going to be on their books for $40M next year…unsigned. So he’s got them by the balls right now. They can’t tag him, they can’t trade him, and they’re looking at a fat cap hit + no QB on the roster if they wait too long. The Cowboys can’t really afford to not give Dak whatever he wants, and he’s got all the power in that negotiation.

I agree to a point but theres no way Dak nor Lawerance deserve the pay day one got vs. what the other is going to get. 

Good for Dak for playing the long game and is about to get that 50+ large deal when he should at a rate a couple million below Hurts and Goff. 

10 hours ago, Forge said:

The argument for Jimmy G at the time was he came off the bench in a new offense off a trade mid season and won 4-5 games in a row. Niners invested a 2nd in him and he was in the last year of his deal. 

I also believe the contract was structured at a point they could get out of it after a year and technically it was a 1 year guaranteed of the 5. 

We've seen 3 years of Lawerance and I honestly didn't see anything that warranted this type of deal. Never in the MVP conversation. Never in the super bowl conversation. His playoff win was 4 picks and a Brandon Staley famous choke job. Was deemed the messiah of QB prospects though so the Jags continue to ride off that hype going into year four. 

11 hours ago, iknowcool said:

yeah, this is the thing for me- his best season is statistically comparable to 2016 marcus mariota from an efficiency perspective, and it’s one season of three. the contract is more projection-based than almost any big-money QB extension we’ve seen. that said, i get it! i don’t think it’d shock anyone if lawrence finally exploded this year or the next. but it does feel like more of a roll of the dice than usual.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, -Hope- said:

yeah, this is the thing for me- his best season is statistically comparable to 2016 marcus mariota from an efficiency perspective, and it’s one season of three. the contract is more projection-based than almost any big-money QB extension we’ve seen. that said, i get it! i don’t think it’d shock anyone if lawrence finally exploded this year or the next. but it does feel like more of a roll of the dice than usual.

I mean I don't want to say " I told you so" but when I was watching him his Soph. and Junior year - especially junior, I didn't get the whole "generational Talent" label as a prospect considering how loaded Clemson was. 

I thought he "Could be" a more athletic version of Matt Ryan - which isn't a bad thing. Matt Ryan was a MVP and lost a Super Bowl where Shanny choked away the game not trying to run clock. 

But he's not even close to where Matt Ryan was in 3 years. 

CJ Stroud in year one has triumphed more than Lawerence in 3 years and he was deemed a "potentially low IQ" QB coming out due to some rumor of a botched test. 

3 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

I mean I don't want to say " I told you so" but when I was watching him his Soph. and Junior year - especially junior, I didn't get the whole "generational Talent" label as a prospect considering how loaded Clemson was. 

Lawrence being good but not great in Y3 doesn’t mean he wasn’t a generational talent at QB. Being an all-time prospect is separate from being an all-time pro.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

The argument for Jimmy G at the time was he came off the bench in a new offense off a trade mid season and won 4-5 games in a row. Niners invested a 2nd in him and he was in the last year of his deal. 

I also believe the contract was structured at a point they could get out of it after a year and technically it was a 1 year guaranteed of the 5. 

We've seen 3 years of Lawerance and I honestly didn't see anything that warranted this type of deal. Never in the MVP conversation. Never in the super bowl conversation. His playoff win was 4 picks and a Brandon Staley famous choke job. Was deemed the messiah of QB prospects though so the Jags continue to ride off that hype going into year four. 

I mean, we can justify the thinking behind the Jimmy G contract however we want (as can be done for the Lawrence contract) but he was still less qualified for that contract than Lawrence is for this one

21 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Sam Bradford is about the only one and he was under the old system

• Like 2