Change 1 Event in NFL History

Armbar

Here's a weird one;

John Abraham doesn't destroy Jake Delhomme's elbow.

Jake probably continues to play at a decently high level, meaning Carolina never drafts Newton. That shakes up the entire QB market for the next several years. The butterfly effect of that could be wild depending on who ends up landing #1 in 2011.

• Like 1

Rahim Moore doesn't blow his coverage and the Mile High Miracle never happens. Denver goes on to win the Super Bowl and Peyton Manning's reputation and legacy are just a bit better.

The Falcons run two run plays and kick a field goal instead of allowing a sack and holding penalty, thus keeping the door open for New England's comeback.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Irsay never moving from Baltimore means no Browns leaving, so yeah I choose that door, albeit he probably moves them elsewhere I guess.

It likely also means Jacksonville doesn't have a team now as Baltimore was outlasted by the city for expansion approval back in '93.

I read that the Bears were *this* close to drafting Joe Montana.   The head scout pushed for him and they were prepared to do it until the GM stepped in last minute and stopped them from doing so, believing they were fine at the QB position

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/1792322/2020/05/05/what-if-the-bears-had-drafted-joe-montana/

Does Joe Montana still develop into one of the greatest?  Does Buddy Ryan, who was there with Ditka in '79, still build up one of the best defenses ever?  Who ends up being the QB for Bill Walsh and the 49ers, and do we get the 49ers dynasty?  

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

I read that the Bears were *this* close to drafting Joe Montana.   The head scout pushed for him and they were prepared to do it until the GM stepped in last minute and stopped them from doing so, believing they were fine at the QB position

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/1792322/2020/05/05/what-if-the-bears-had-drafted-joe-montana/

Does Joe Montana develop into one of the greatest?  Does Buddy Ryan, who was there with Ditka in '79, still build up one of the best defenses ever?  Who ends up being the QB for Bill Walsh and the 49ers, and do we get the 49ers dynasty?  

I always felt like Montana (and Brady, among other names....heck, throw Aaron Rodgers with Green Bay in there) were players who ended up in the perfect place at the perfect time; Montana in particular came into the league when everyone wanted the big, strapping, cannon-armed prototype (i.e., Phil Simms, to put one of his fellow 1979 draftees in the category)....if he'd gone to another team, I'm sure he'd have had a decent career, but he'd have been a bit of square peg in the typical offense of the time - pound the rock and take deep shots. On the other side, Walsh may not have been able to find a Montana, but he had DeBerg who was running things competently, and I'm curious to see what would've happened if SF had been able to snag, say, Marc Wilson in the first in 1980....Montana is in the conversation as GOAT but in that timeline, the 9ers probably aren't AS successful, but one would think Wilson, coming from BYU, would've been a better fit in SF than he was with the Raiders. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

If Brandon Bostick doesn't botch that onside kick recovery, does Aaron Rodgers have another ring? 

Maybe, probably.  If David Bakhtiari doesn't get injured in practice, he probably has two more.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2024 at 10:56 AM, Football_Bachelor08 said:

It likely also means Jacksonville doesn't have a team now as Baltimore was outlasted by the city for expansion approval back in '93.

Or the Browns would have been moved there instead tbh

On 7/8/2024 at 2:39 PM, BroncoSojia said:

A better example is what if Dwayne Bowe catches that onside kick in the Week 15 Chargers @ Chiefs game of that year.

Or, if Peyton Hillis isn't lost for the season in Week 14 against the Chiefs.