Training Camp Thread

I'm fine with it. I think it's Sean's way of saying who the hell knows yet.. if it also provides a slight chip on Nix's shoulder then all the better. I just really wouldn't look that deep into it. 

Edited by Zukhyubern
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Zukhyubern said:

I'm fine with it. I think it's Sean's way of saying who the hell knows yet.. if it also provides a slight chip on Nix's shoulder then all the better. I just really wouldn't look that deep into it. 

A buddy of mine, similar in circumstance, retired, fan for over 60 years, season ticket holder, has been to about half a dozen of these  sessions now. Also, kinda like me, he really doesn't care who our QB is. He just wants good play from the position. His take is a bit different.

He's excited about our QB spot for the first time in years. We look good today and our future seems secure. He loves Nix consistent improvement. Every session he seems better and seems to be moving into calls at the LOS, audibles, etc. He does think it's funny when he reads articles that insist we start Nix immediately so we can "see what we've got". He just laughs and says Sean knows what we have, our QBOTF, and right now they're just grooming him.

As far as Nix receiving a majority of snaps he figures it's good for his development, he needs them and Stidham doesn't. Stidham  has been very impressive, solid and has the offense down pat. Hard to notice the improvement because he's been like this since day 1.

Anyway, if he's right (and he usually has a pretty solid take) we're in good shape at QB. Stidham is our best right now, according to Mark that's not even debatable by knowledgeable fans,(apparently Nix scrambles about 3 times as much as Stidham because he's missed the play) but Nix is showing better physical skills and is growing daily in the offense. How far away he is from being the best only Sean knows.

This may finally be a fun season for QB fans, regardless of who starts.

• Like 4

It’s just an old school coach thing to list rookies last at every position on the initial depth chart. A better indicator of where things are headed at QB is Nix getting the majority of first team reps since the pads came on. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AKRNA said:

A buddy of mine, similar in circumstance, retired, fan for over 60 years, season ticket holder, has been to about half a dozen of these  sessions now. Also, kinda like me, he really doesn't care who our QB is. He just wants good play from the position. His take is a bit different.

He's excited about our QB spot for the first time in years. We look good today and our future seems secure. He loves Nix consistent improvement. Every session he seems better and seems to be moving into calls at the LOS, audibles, etc. He does think it's funny when he reads articles that insist we start Nix immediately so we can "see what we've got". He just laughs and says Sean knows what we have, our QBOTF, and right now they're just grooming him.

As far as Nix receiving a majority of snaps he figures it's good for his development, he needs them and Stidham doesn't. Stidham  has been very impressive, solid and has the offense down pat. Hard to notice the improvement because he's been like this since day 1.

Anyway, if he's right (and he usually has a pretty solid take) we're in good shape at QB. Stidham is our best right now, according to Mark that's not even debatable by knowledgeable fans,(apparently Nix scrambles about 3 times as much as Stidham because he's missed the play) but Nix is showing better physical skills and is growing daily in the offense. How far away he is from being the best only Sean knows.

Nix is going to be the starter, and if it's not immediately, it will be by Week 4, assuming he doesn't fall on his face in preseason. I'd also challenge the idea Stidham doesn't need reps. He's not some long-time vet with extensive experience. He's had, what, a handful of starts? And looked, at best, mediocre? He may well start the season, but he is not a world beater. Regardless, I agree with you. It's nice to have something to look forward to at QB for once instead of the endless average veteran spin cycle.

21 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Interesting. I think Stidham sucks, we've seen him play in the league for years, make only four starts and be entirely underwhelming in those starts. 

From what I'm hearing, Stidham is checkdown Charlie while Nix is more aggressive and has been improving at a good clip. Nix has made some more mistakes, and isn't afraid to use his legs, but his trend lines have been decidedly upward. When contrasted with Stidham taking the safe, easy throw, avoiding mistakes and attempting to dink and dunk everything, it's easy to see what Klis (who supported, Orton, Keenum and Bridgewater) is his most vocal (only?) proponent in the Denver media. 

Another Bo Nix day with the starters. 

None of this dynamic is about Stidham. He just knows the offense and the week to week prep side of things so he can be a placeholder and they would be fine with feeding him to the sharks until they think Bo is ready. I still expect Bo will be the opening week starter, but it’s possible this extends into late September-October. Basically it’s not a real competition. Bo is competing with himself. His progress is the only thing that matters.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Another Bo Nix day with the starters. 

None of this dynamic is about Stidham. He just knows the offense and the week to week prep side of things so he can be a placeholder and they would be fine with feeding him to the sharks until they think Bo is ready. I still expect Bo will be the opening week starter, but it’s possible this extends into late September-October. Basically it’s not a real competition. Bo is competing with himself. His progress is the only thing that matters.

As usual, you’re spot on. 

When Peyton Manning comes out and says experience is the best teacher, I take him at his word.

Like Peyton, Nix has a lot of experience in college, maturity and comes from a football family. (No, I am not saying Nix will be Peyton or even anything close, I have my doubts he will ever amount to more than an above average starter), but the parallels to them as rookies entering the league on those traits are there and thus Nix should start week 1. Especially considering this isn’t a team that’s going anywhere this year and, as such, this year should be treated as the chance to let the kids grow. 

On 8/1/2024 at 12:56 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

That sucks. Swing Tackle is one of the most underrated roster requirements on an NFL team in my opinion.

Personally, I just don't see it this way. If your rookie QB is stinking the joint up and you've got 50 something (well, 90 something at the moment) grown men who can see he isn't the better player and is making the whole Offense look worse, you are going to lose them.

I'm not naive enough to think the QBs should be on a level playing field; I understand one was drafted to be the future. That said, he has to shown his fellow professionals he's at least somewhat worthy of being given the majority of the reps. Those guys have a career to play for. They aren't just going to accept a sucky QB if there is a different option outperforming in TC / practice.

Apparently Nix had a really good practice yesterday. Hopefully he can build on it heading into our preseason games.

Just an update, seems like Peart is having a hard time filling the OT spot.  

50 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Klis reporting that Stidham will start this Sunday at Indy and Nix will start week 2 preseason at home against Green Bay. 

Makes perfect sense. Why get your rookie as much experience as possible when you can give equal reps to journeyman backup?

http://x.com/mikeklis9news/status/1822007519327445133

Snap count is going to be way more important than who starts 1st vs 2nd.

19 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Exactly. Second QB gets waaaay more snaps in the first preseason game

Also he's not going against the 1st team D. Much better way to break into the league.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AKRNA said:

My understanding is Wattenburg is our center but I'd like some confirmation. Also, how does our IOL look, starters and depth?

Won't see the game. 

Wattenburg did start. So far in the first, powers has been helping him out, almost doubling wattenburgs matchup. Meinerz holding his own dude and sometimes another by himself hahaha