Training Camp Thread

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Wasn’t able to watch the game live but just went back and watched every offensive snap. Trying not to get too excited but it was awesome to see the entire field being used and this needing to be defended. 

You mean an actual professional offense run by professional, well trained QB's? What a concept!

4 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Wasn’t able to watch the game live but just went back and watched every offensive snap. Trying not to get too excited but it was awesome to see the entire field being used and this needing to be defended. 

I'm really curious about one thing. We're loaded with a group of very large, talented WR's. Patrick, Sutton and Reynolds would be #2's on many teams. Great jump ball guys. Add in Vele and Krull and you've got the makings of a DC's redzone nightmare.

Did we have any packages where we used them that way?

4 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I'm really curious about one thing. We're loaded with a group of very large, talented WR's. Patrick, Sutton and Reynolds would be #2's on many teams. Great jump ball guys. Add in Vele and Krull and you've got the makings of a DC's redzone nightmare.

Did we have any packages where we used them that way?

The one TD pass I saw was to Mimms Jr. 

12 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Really pleased with what our staff has done with all 3 QB's. It's amazing what good coaching can do.  

We'll end up with a quality starter, quality backup and I'll bet we end up trading the 3rd guy for a pick. Who'd a thought?

Obviously we need to see a few more games from Bo and Zack Wilson, but I think we should roll with them.  I like Stidham, but Wilson looked better and I think he is cheaper, isn't he?  

23 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Obviously we need to see a few more games from Bo and Zack Wilson, but I think we should roll with them.  I like Stidham, but Wilson looked better and I think he is cheaper, isn't he?  

Wilson played against 3rd string defense. Difficult to say he's better than Stidham. Everybody know he can be effective and have the tools. But he never translate in game. The competition is for backup job. At this point i prefer to keep all 3 but if we need to cut 1. I take Jarret and keep Wilson.

11 hours ago, AKRNA said:

What side is he playing on?

Left, but with the 3's. The rotations were: 

1st lineup - Bolles, Powers, Wattenberg, Meinerz, McGlinchey

2nd lineup - Peart, Throckmorton, Forsyth, Sherman, Palczewski

3rd lineup - Jacobs, Forsyth, Mustipher, Palczewski, Crum

4th lineup - Jacobs, Sherman, Mustipher, Forsyth, Crum

5th lineup - Jacobs, Sherman, Mustipher, Jervis, Crum

I'd say that playing all 3 positions is great for Forsyth's chances of a roster spot, but not so great in terms of his chances of the starting Center spot. Have to assume based on the snap count that our staff feel it's Wattenberg's job.

If we go with 9 Lineman again, you'd assume that 3 of those places are definitely up for grabs right now.

I don't have any intricate comments on the performance of the units, but on the whole they seemed really good, especially given what you usually see this time of year. It's a veteran group to be honest, especially that 2nd group which usually would be younger.

• Like 2

Just now, French Fan said:

Wilson played against 3rd string defense. Difficult to say he's better than Stidham. Everybody know he can be effective and have the tools. But he never translate in game. The competition is for backup job. At this point i prefer to keep all 3 but if we need to cut 1. I take Jarret and keep Wilson.

Wilson is going to have to far outperform Stidham for the backup job I'd say. Stidham has been in the system a year longer, which is a huge deal. Plus, Stidham's game is more suited to that of a backup QB than Wilson is. Less explosive, but less turnover prone.

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Wilson is going to have to far outperform Stidham for the backup job I'd say. Stidham has been in the system a year longer, which is a huge deal. Plus, Stidham's game is more suited to that of a backup QB than Wilson is. Less explosive, but less turnover prone.

I think he can.  I am not against Stidham.  I just like the ceiling for Wilson, if he can sit for a year or two while getting re-developed under Payton.  Then trade him for a good haul, assuming Bo is balling. 

8 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I'd say that playing all 3 positions is great for Forsyth's chances of a roster spot, but not so great in terms of his chances of the starting Center spot. Have to assume based on the snap count that our staff feel it's Wattenberg's job.

If we go with 9 Lineman again, you'd assume that 3 of those places are definitely up for grabs right now.

I don't have any intricate comments on the performance of the units, but on the whole they seemed really good, especially given what you usually see this time of year. It's a veteran group to be honest, especially that 2nd group which usually would be younger.

That;s some great info, thanks!

8 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

His familiarity with Sean's system will work in his favor. However, his contract and the fact that he will have to go through waivers, will not. 

I went back and watched the second half of the game this morning (slow Monday at work, lol) and Zach, while yes he was playing with the 3s+ and against the 3s+, was disciplined, on time, on schedule, wasn't playing hero ball. His upside is great and he is a lot cheaper than Stidham. 

9 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Looks like they're searching for those 3 right now. Forsyth's looking like that 6th man and trying Palczewski on the inside is new I think. I'd really like to see one of our OT's step up and take that swing spot. At this point, barring injury I think Mustiphers just camp fodder. 

14 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

So did Samaje's fumble cost him his job ? The rest of the RB's were a bit underwhelming but Samaje was a bust yesterday. Time for Paton to get on the phone

I don't think so personally. Estime also had a fumble...pretty bad one too tbh and though he's our rookie, I think it will just show that one game for these guys won't get em cut. That said, Perine better bring it in future preseason games. 

Speaking of Estime, idk about you guys but I was pretty underwhelmed. He certainly doesn't look the part of instantly replacing Williams as our bell cow. I will say he actually looked pretty good as a receiver, though I think it was only on two plays. Dude seems to be able to catch a ball which may play a role in our offense this year. 

23 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

I don't think so personally. Estime also had a fumble...pretty bad one too tbh and though he's our rookie, I think it will just show that one game for these guys won't get em cut. That said, Perine better bring it in future preseason games. 

Speaking of Estime, idk about you guys but I was pretty underwhelmed. He certainly doesn't look the part of instantly replacing Williams as our bell cow. I will say he actually looked pretty good as a receiver, though I think it was only on two plays. Dude seems to be able to catch a ball which may play a role in our offense this year. 

I really can’t see him getting cut, so to speak, after his first nfl game. Not that you’re suggesting that. He was serviceable, and I can’t see, given he’s a rookie, they expected much more than what we seen. I would say there’s not much more than improvement to be seen from here. It’s preseason. These guys are nervous, adjusting to the nfl game. I would guess he’s gonna be a good addition. Be patient with em is my view. Just my 2 cents

Edited by copeland
  • Like 1