Training Camp 2024

Madmike90

52 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

https://x.com/danwiederer/status/1821576554805420078?s=46

It's August 8 but it's also been quite a few practices. Bullet point no. 1 isn't ideal to read

It's a fair criticism.

He just spent a near full season at USC scrambling, extending plays and improvising often.

1) That could be who he is and an embedded part of his game at this time. 

2) It could be he is simply not comfortable enough in new scheme to play on time. 

3) It could be Oline is not giving him proper time to execute plays as drawn (as many are reporting).

4) It could be because defense is throwing so much at him and he is thinking too much (which coaches have said is purposeful).  They said they want practice to be harder than games.

5) It could be combination(s) of above.

A lot of people have said he has same flaws as Fields when watching him play in college.   As Braggs as pointed out, the big difference at this time is,

1) Caleb scrambles to throw where Fields scrambled to run.

2) Caleb pushes the ball downfield a lot more.  Whereas Fields was more side to side more often.

Probably going to grow through some bumps.  

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

This is what I was talking about. Glad to hear this. Maybe Caleb is making smart decisions that from the stands seem like indecision? Wont know till we are in real games

To your other tweet you posted; I feel like many are going to call Kmet's 2024 disappointing. But he is going to be blocking a ton, but they are also going to be spreading out the ball way more than most anticipate. They love Everett as a weapon (cant barely block a lick) and is going to be more in the offense than most expect, which is basically zero at this point. 

I think Scott is going to be heard from in this offense as well. Not as often, but Id bet we see a few massive plays early to him and he will be stretching the D alot to the benifit of the overall offense.

Unless someone gets hurt for a significant period, Id bet he only reliable output you can count on will be DJ Moore, and thats a GREAT thing. I think we are going to be seeing 8+ guys being real contributors to the offense, and each week it could be someone different popping off in any given game.

Im saying week one Scott could grab 2 balls for like 70-80 yards and get another major PI call and Everett gets like 6 catches and a TD because hes the forgotten man out there (by the D). But then the next week suddenly Allen has 11 grabs and Kmet ends up with 2 Red Zone scores. All while DJ is sill on pace for 90/1200

• Like 2

15 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

This is what I was talking about. Glad to hear this. Maybe Caleb is making smart decisions that from the stands seem like indecision? Wont know till we are in real games

To your other tweet you posted; I feel like many are going to call Kmet's 2024 disappointing. But he is going to be blocking a ton, but they are also going to be spreading out the ball way more than most anticipate. They love Everett as a weapon (cant barely block a lick) and is going to be more in the offense than most expect, which is basically zero at this point. 

I think Scott is going to be heard from in this offense as well. Not as often, but Id bet we see a few massive plays early to him and he will be stretching the D alot to the benifit of the overall offense.

Unless someone gets hurt for a significant period, Id bet he only reliable output you can count on will be DJ Moore, and thats a GREAT thing. I think we are going to be seeing 8+ guys being real contributors to the offense, and each week it could be someone different popping off in any given game.

Im saying week one Scott could grab 2 balls for like 70-80 yards and get another major PI call and Everett gets like 6 catches and a TD because hes the forgotten man out there (by the D). But then the next week suddenly Allen has 11 grabs and Kmet ends up with 2 Red Zone scores. All while DJ is sill on pace for 90/1200

I love that they’re trying to throw as much at him in camp as they can to try to confuse him. That’s what our opponents are going to do basically all season, and the goal of camp isn’t to win camp - its to be ready to succeed in September.

I’m with you on where the contributions statistically will be coming from too. It’s a good problem to have that you have 7 capable receiving options (top 3 WR, top 2 TE, Swift and Roschon). It’s much easier to defend and bad for QB development when we have 1-2 guys capable of winning their matchups. I don’t care if the Bears players are inconsistent for FFB so long as the collective is consistently putting up points on Sunday and Monday. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I have read reports of camp for years (since internet started doing it) and been a handful of times.  I find that I see things differently than many tweeters and reporters.  But some of same things too. 

There is only 1 football.  I never felt like stats and numbers tell the true story of a player.  You can be really good with bad stats.  Or bad with fairly good stats.  Football is ultimate team game. Other players effect how you look and your stats.  

I think this offense has a lot of explosive playmakers.  You can see a lot of negative plays, turnovers and 3 and outs and still put points on the board.  

• Like 1

On 8/7/2024 at 7:13 PM, TankWilliams said:

It shouldn't matter.  This team's culture is all about guys being "grinders".  It was literally the first thing we saw Eberflus say at training camp on hard knocks.  Get rid of the dude, make an example of him.

From your perspective and that of others maybe not but it's very unlikely they'll cut him especially with him currently being injured.  We can't be certain how his teammates see him.  They may feel that cutting him loose while injured is pretty harsh.

I'd start Bates at RG and make Davis earn his starting job back.  He may not and if that's the case he's still vet depth on an OL that needs that.  He may end up as the most overpaid #2 guy on the team but that's far more likely to happen than his being released.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

The way he thinks through the game makes me pretty confident he is going to be good in long run.

Reminds of Peyton Manning.

It's a nice change to both have someone willing to share their thoughts (Cutler wouldn't do that unless his blood chemistry was just right that day) and also with enough recall and clarity to remember the moment.  The most damning thing I can recall about the season where Mitch was drafted was his time on the Gruden camp that was on youtube. He seemed really lost and kinda dumb. 

5 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

To be fair he's used to defending those Getsy routes in practice

"This **** is way harder when you don't exclusively run curls and outs!!"

• Like 1