49ers Training camp 2024

5 minutes ago, typecast said:

The Browns would take the 22M next year whether he's traded or not. They would take 7.534M this year and the 49ers would only be on the hook for his 1.21M salary (not guaranteed). The 49ers would save 12.914M this year. Then have to make a decision to extend a 31 year old Cooper next year.

Yeah. Would just be funny paying him that amount while he's playing for the 49ers. 

Browns would also have to give up draft capital to get Aiyuk, who even if he's younger doesn't seem like he's worth everything else that would have be forfeited in order to make that happen. They don't even have their QB situation figured out. Aiyuk would probably rather not go there anyway. 

I have to wonder now if the Patriots/Browns leak was done by the 49ers to basically say "see this is where you can end up if you don't play nice." Any player should know that demanding a trade puts you at the mercy of where the team wants you to go lol. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

6 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Aiyuk doesn't really win though. At the end of the day the 49ers can just have Aiyuk be a malcontent on a SB ready roster. He either plays, and tries to advertise his services for his next squad down the road, or he sits out, and loses game checks. 49ers would have to block out the noise, but if they're winning, and winning convincingly without him then it won't matter. They should have traded him earlier if they were going to do so. Doesn't make sense to do so now. 

His tearful interview after the SB loss looks pretty phony now. 

He does win if they trade him and he gets the contract he wants. Right now that seems likely to be the case

The niners appear to have blinked first, basically. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

He does win if they trade him and he gets the contract he wants. Right now that seems likely to be the case

Sure. If he really doesn't care about winning, and doesn't mind languishing in an NFL graveyard where the loses can pile up, and his production can go down. Adams certainly seems happy with the Raiders. Aiyuk should be happy then to sign wherever.

Good acting on his part after the SB if that's his real feelings. Fooled a lot of folks. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

The reason the team prefers the NE package over the Browns has nothing to do with Bourne vs Cooper. It has to do with the projected draft slot. 

We could have just traded Aiyuk for #34 and gotten a contributor for the 2024 season. 

I still think it comes down to the Steelers or Aiyuk returning. Both sides trying to make power moves. The Niners just made theirs. 

23 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Multiple reports of Lynch not being involved in the negotiations and how this is all York and Marathe+his team.  Amazing. 

From my knowledge Lynch has never been involved in contract negotiations and especially when its with a agent he is friends with i don't think not having Lynch involved is a good idea. 

6 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

From my knowledge Lynch has never been involved in contract negotiations and especially when its with a agent he is friends with i don't think not having Lynch involved is a good idea. 

Lynch is a former player and great communicator. He should have some sort of role here and have a say in what is going on. Just malpractice for York to rely on Marathe and his analytical team. Then Kawakami mentioned that York may have an issue with the amount of guarantees he's paying this team. L-O-L.

Yet this is an all in season for this team and their "last dance"?? Laughable. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lynch is a former player and great communicator. He should have some sort of role here and have a say in what is going on. Just malpractice for York to rely on Marathe and his analytical team. Then Kawakami mentioned that York may have an issue with the amount of guarantees he's paying this team. L-O-L.

Yet this is an all in season for this team and their "last dance"?? Laughable. 

There is a difference between having a say and actually working the numbers and getting that contract actually through. I am sure Lynch has a say in who stays and who goes but when it comes to getting a contract made up and managing the salary cap i am sure there are a ton of people more capable than Lynch is. 

In the end i truly believe this team can win it all without Ayiuk because while he might be our best pure receiver he still is the at best the 3rd player we scheme for and probably even 4th behind Kittle. The fact he got as many yards still as he got is testiment to how good of an actual receiver he is but i do think he profits from the attention the other three get. And paying a receiver 30 mil to me is just a terrible way to spend your cap money. There is no way Ayiuk by himself is close to as valuable to an offense as Bosa is to a defense. 

30 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

And paying a receiver 30 mil to me is just a terrible way to spend your cap money. There is no way Ayiuk by himself is close to as valuable to an offense as Bosa is to a defense. 

We'll see when deebo gets hurt and the starting receivers for this team are a rookie, Conley, and Jauan jennings

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

There is a difference between having a say and actually working the numbers and getting that contract actually through. I am sure Lynch has a say in who stays and who goes but when it comes to getting a contract made up and managing the salary cap i am sure there are a ton of people more capable than Lynch is. 

In the end i truly believe this team can win it all without Ayiuk because while he might be our best pure receiver he still is the at best the 3rd player we scheme for and probably even 4th behind Kittle. The fact he got as many yards still as he got is testiment to how good of an actual receiver he is but i do think he profits from the attention the other three get. And paying a receiver 30 mil to me is just a terrible way to spend your cap money. There is no way Ayiuk by himself is close to as valuable to an offense as Bosa is to a defense. 

I don't really see him benefiting from the other stars we have on the team. Aiyuk is flat out beating his man and is not getting schemed up touches. If you want to say he would possibly see more double teams on another team? Sure, but Shanny does nowhere near the scheming that he does for CMC/Kittle/Deebo.

This is flat out a disaster for the FO and team, no other way to put it. The last stud we traded was a durable DL and now we are potentially trading a durable WR with a team full of weapons that miss games.

This will not end well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't really see him benefiting from the other stars we have on the team. Aiyuk is flat out beating his man and is not getting schemed up touches. If you want to say he would possibly see more double teams on another team? Sure, but Shanny does nowhere near the scheming that he does for CMC/Kittle/Deebo.

This is flat out a disaster for the FO and team, no other way to put it. The last stud we traded was a durable DL and now we are potentially trading a durable WR with a team full of weapons that miss games.

This will not end well. 

And a piece that would age right in tune with our QB and whose advanced metrics all suggest that he can handle a bigger target load as some of our older players age and who has had such a good rapport with our franchise QB that he set downfield passing accuracy records. Doesn't make sense to me. I would have shed other assets if they cost me Aiyuk. His caliber of player requires a top 10 pick to acquire these days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JIllg said:

And a piece that would age right in tune with our QB and whose advanced metrics all suggest that he can handle a bigger target load as some of our older players age and who has had such a good rapport with our franchise QB that he set downfield passing accuracy records. Doesn't make sense to me. I would have shed other assets if they cost me Aiyuk. His caliber of player requires a top 10 pick to acquire these days.

Yep, this would be huge for Purdy going forward and this would instantly become one of the best connections in the league. Kittle/Deebo/CMC may or may not be here in two years and they may not be anywhere close to the level they are at right now. Only one that you can guarantee that will is Aiyuk and he's the one that will be potentially moved? Bad decision. Then if you are relying on Pearsall to replace Aiyuk's production and play? We are setting him up to essentially be Kinlaw 2.0. 

Still holding out hope we get a deal done with Aiyuk and he stays. 

46 minutes ago, adamq said:

We'll see when deebo gets hurt and the starting receivers for this team are a rookie, Conley, and Jauan jennings

Offcourse you will always have trouble when guys get injured. Thats the whole thing with this league and a big reason why i don't want to spend 30 mil on a receiver. You need different guys with different skills at receiver to succeed and while Ayiuk is great i personally with having Kyle as a coach think we can have a great offense without him. Even when Deebo or Kittle miss their yearly games.

30 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This will not end well. 

Ayiuk benefits because he almost never gets double teamed or draws the #1 CB from the other team so while there isn't as many schemed touches for him he does 100% profits from being in this offense. Can he improve elsewhere in terms of bulk stats? Probably yeah but i don't think he will have the same efficiency he has now with us if he is the main guy. 

And i still would argue that trading away Buckner was a great move. The resulting pick was bad but the process and what we saved and got back 100% was worth it. Losing great players sucks no doubt but you can't keep them all long term.

These are the decisions that determine how big your window is. We all want to keep every single guy unless its a McGlinchey type guy but the truth is that while you can handle that short term its almost impossible to do for years on end. And while there is a ton of busts in the draft at receiver i truly think not paying those guys a second contract if it gets to the prices receivers demand these days paying them is not worth it. There is a reason most Superbowl winning teams don't have a top paid receiver and most of the top paid receivers play for teams that most won't consider Superbowl favourites.

8 hours ago, Forge said:

It could be that they showed him it’s either SF or else he plays somewhere he doesn’t want to be, which is a semi-bluff.

JMHO

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Offcourse you will always have trouble when guys get injured. Thats the whole thing with this league and a big reason why i don't want to spend 30 mil on a receiver. You need different guys with different skills at receiver to succeed and while Ayiuk is great i personally with having Kyle as a coach think we can have a great offense without him. Even when Deebo or Kittle miss their yearly games.

Ayiuk benefits because he almost never gets double teamed or draws the #1 CB from the other team so while there isn't as many schemed touches for him he does 100% profits from being in this offense. Can he improve elsewhere in terms of bulk stats? Probably yeah but i don't think he will have the same efficiency he has now with us if he is the main guy. 

And i still would argue that trading away Buckner was a great move. The resulting pick was bad but the process and what we saved and got back 100% was worth it. Losing great players sucks no doubt but you can't keep them all long term.

These are the decisions that determine how big your window is. We all want to keep every single guy unless its a McGlinchey type guy but the truth is that while you can handle that short term its almost impossible to do for years on end. And while there is a ton of busts in the draft at receiver i truly think not paying those guys a second contract if it gets to the prices receivers demand these days paying them is not worth it. There is a reason most Superbowl winning teams don't have a top paid receiver and most of the top paid receivers play for teams that most won't consider Superbowl favourites.

Almost never draws the #1 CB? Snead was covering him in the SB, Alexander was covering him quite a bit in the divisional round. Teams keep their corners in one spot for the most part but so Aiyuk is not benefiting any more than most WRs in that regard. He's also the only weapon on the team that does NOT need to get schemed open and does NOT get schemed open by Shanny.....And it's because he does not need to be schemed open to get the ball.

It's not about wanting every guy re-signed, it's about looking at the future. You can get rid of the likes of Deebo next season while not paying Hufanga or one of our corners. Getting rid of Aiyuk when Purdy is about to get paid a mega deal just is not smart.