49ers Training camp 2024

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It's not about wanting every guy re-signed, it's about looking at the future. You can get rid of the likes of Deebo next season while not paying Hufanga or one of our corners. Getting rid of Aiyuk when Purdy is about to get paid a mega deal just is not smart. 

And if i look at the future for me having Hufanga, Lenoir and a good depth guy at almost any position worth more than Aiyuk. If Purdy is as good as the deal he will get he doesn't need Aiyuk. He needs competent receivers no doubt but i really don't think he needs Aiyuk for 30 mil. Tying up 80-85 mil a year for a QB-WR just is bad business and a reason why no team with an actual franchise QB does it. Is the Chiefs offense worse now than when they still had Hill? Yeah but if they kept both they woulnd't have the rest of the roster that they have now. As long as we have Kyle i am confident the offense will be able to produce good numbers with or without Aiyuk. 

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Almost never draws the #1 CB? Snead was covering him in the SB, Alexander was covering him quite a bit in the divisional round. Teams keep their corners in one spot for the most part but so Aiyuk is not benefiting any more than most WRs in that regard. He's also the only weapon on the team that does NOT need to get schemed open and does NOT get schemed open by Shanny.....And it's because he does not need to be schemed open to get the ball.

And he had a whopping 49,7 yards per game in those games. Aiyuk is good but he isn't this Justin Jefferson-level receiver and he wants to be paid like that. Sorry but when you don't have a defense scheme their defense for you you ain't worth that money.

Edited by Justone2

3 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

And if i look at the future for me having Hufanga, Lenoir and a good depth guy at almost any position worth more than Aiyuk. If Purdy is as good as the deal he will get he doesn't need Aiyuk. He needs competent receivers no doubt but i really don't think he needs Aiyuk for 30 mil. Tying up 80-85 mil a year for a QB-WR just is bad business and a reason why no team with an actual franchise QB does it. Is the Chiefs offense worse now than when they still had Hill? Yeah but if they kept both they woulnd't have the rest of the roster that they have now. As long as we have Kyle i am confident the offense will be able to produce good numbers with or without Aiyuk. 

And he had a whopping 49,7 yards per game in those games. Aiyuk is good but he isn't this Justin Jefferson-level receiver and he wants to be paid like that. Sorry but when you don't have a defense scheme their defense for you you ain't worth that money.

Part of the reason for the "whopping" 49.7 YPG is that Shannny was choosing to feature others over him, despite Aiyuk winning at his usual level. How did that work out? 

And that's fine, but you can still keep Lenoir by keeping Aiyuk. Hufanga just does not have a future on the team with Brown/Mustapha being drafted in back to back years. Brown is going to be the star level safety that this team pays in the future. 

Even if the team trades away Aiyuk, Hufanga is unlikely to return. Unless you think the team gets rid of Deebo as well next offseason?

3 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

But the Chiefs offense (with Patrick Mahomes!!!) was so bad last year that they were not a legit title contender by any metrics prior to the last couple of weeks and the playoffs. The "they don't take the regular seasons seriously" stuff is utter nonsense. It took the Bills getting hammered by injuries and the Ravens crapping the bed and us being hammered by injuries and terrible luck for them to squeak through in spite of their mediocre offense. Their failure to secure a meaningful wide receiver should have cost a team with Patrick Mahomes and a monster defense the title. And they didn't spend their extra money on that excellent defense. For the most part, those dudes are first contract guys and Chris Jones who was getting paid no matter what. They spent it on mediocre offensive linemen. If you have known excellent players at premium positions, that should be the first place the money goes, imo. Other places are playing with fire either with positional value or with player quality.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Part of the reason for the "whopping" 49.7 YPG is that Shannny was choosing to feature others over him, despite Aiyuk winning at his usual level. How did that work out? 

And that's fine, but you can still keep Lenoir by keeping Aiyuk. Hufanga just does not have a future on the team with Brown/Mustapha being drafted in back to back years. Brown is going to be the star level safety that this team pays in the future. 

Even if the team trades away Aiyuk, Hufanga is unlikely to return. Unless you think the team gets rid of Deebo as well next offseason?

And why would that change when you pay him 30 mil? I just don't think Kyle trusts BA to the same level he does Deebo, CMC or even Kittle. If Deebo goes down he usually starts focusing on Kittle. And sure you can keep everyone until you run into a situation the Saints found themselves in a few years ago where you basically have none to spend but also no way to actually get into a good position to get out of it. I don't think we will say goodbye to Deebo next year because the savings are not worth it in comparison. From my understanding he saves around 9 mil where he would cost 25 to keep. The whole Hufanga/Mustapha/Brown thing really will be decided this year i feel. It was just an example of what the money you would spend on Aiyuk could get you in exchange. 

27 minutes ago, JIllg said:

But the Chiefs offense (with Patrick Mahomes!!!) was so bad last year that they were not a legit title contender by any metrics prior to the last couple of weeks and the playoffs. The "they don't take the regular seasons seriously" stuff is utter nonsense. It took the Bills getting hammered by injuries and the Ravens crapping the bed and us being hammered by injuries and terrible luck for them to squeak through in spite of their mediocre offense. Their failure to secure a meaningful wide receiver should have cost a team with Patrick Mahomes and a monster defense the title. And they didn't spend their extra money on that excellent defense. For the most part, those dudes are first contract guys and Chris Jones who was getting paid no matter what. They spent it on mediocre offensive linemen. If you have known excellent players at premium positions, that should be the first place the money goes, imo. Other places are playing with fire either with positional value or with player quality.

And they still won the SB. I think paying premium positions premium money is a fine strategy on paper but just doesn't work in practice. The amount of money that gets spend for those positions is rising so quickly that you can get way more value out of paying elite guys at non-premium positions. And then for me WR isn't as premium a position as say O-line or D-line. Its why i have no problem paying Bosa or giving Williams a bit extra or extending guys like Warner and Kittle. But i was against extending Samuel(even though he was my favourite player) and am now in the camp that doesn't think paying Aiyuk is worth it. If BA was a legit top-5 WR in the league sure go ahead and secure him. But i truly don't think he is. He is top 10-15 at best for me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

And why would that change when you pay him 30 mil? I just don't think Kyle trusts BA to the same level he does Deebo, CMC or even Kittle. If Deebo goes down he usually starts focusing on Kittle. And sure you can keep everyone until you run into a situation the Saints found themselves in a few years ago where you basically have none to spend but also no way to actually get into a good position to get out of it. I don't think we will say goodbye to Deebo next year because the savings are not worth it in comparison. From my understanding he saves around 9 mil where he would cost 25 to keep. The whole Hufanga/Mustapha/Brown thing really will be decided this year i feel. It was just an example of what the money you would spend on Aiyuk could get you in exchange. 

And they still won the SB. I think paying premium positions premium money is a fine strategy on paper but just doesn't work in practice. The amount of money that gets spend for those positions is rising so quickly that you can get way more value out of paying elite guys at non-premium positions. And then for me WR isn't as premium a position as say O-line or D-line. Its why i have no problem paying Bosa or giving Williams a bit extra or extending guys like Warner and Kittle. But i was against extending Samuel(even though he was my favourite player) and am now in the camp that doesn't think paying Aiyuk is worth it. If BA was a legit top-5 WR in the league sure go ahead and secure him. But i truly don't think he is. He is top 10-15 at best for me. 

You want to talk about Aiyuk's 50 YPG averages in the playoffs but ignore Kittle's playoff history? Lol, what is the point of paying Kittle all this money if he's going to essentially be a non-factor in the playoffs? Seems like Kyle only trusts CMC and Deebo in that case. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You want to talk about Aiyuk's 50 YPG averages in the playoffs but ignore Kittle's playoff history? Lol, what is the point of paying Kittle all this money if he's going to essentially be a non-factor in the playoffs? Seems like Kyle only trusts CMC and Deebo in that case. 

Because Kittle still only gets half of what you want to pay Aiyuk. If AIyuk wants 20 i have not a single doubt about extending him. But paying him 30 is just not worth it for the role he has for this team.

Just now, Justone2 said:

Because Kittle still only gets half of what you want to pay Aiyuk. If AIyuk wants 20 i have not a single doubt about extending him. But paying him 30 is just not worth it for the role he has for this team.

What is going to be his role going forward if he gets the 30M per year figure? Is it going to be the same role? Will Kittle/Deebo still be on the team after 2025? 

The team paid Deebo the same percentage of the salary cap that the 30M figure that Aiyuk wants btw. 

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What is going to be his role going forward if he gets the 30M per year figure? Is it going to be the same role? Will Kittle/Deebo still be on the team after 2025? 

The team paid Deebo the same percentage of the salary cap that the 30M figure that Aiyuk wants btw. 

Those are all pure hypothetical's. But i don't think if his role increases his efficiency stays the same. Will he be getting a bump if Kittle and Deebo leave? Sure but when that happens its more important to find adequate replacements for them than project Aiyuk will keep him numbers the same while getting a higher percentage of targets. Could he grow to say 100 receptions? Probably yeah but i don't think his yards will go up to 1790 but more likely be around 1500. An aging Kittle/Deebo for me isn't a argument to pay Aiyuk 30 mil.

I know and its the main reason i was for trading Deebo when that whole saga happened. Besides that Deebo was at that point almost our entire offense. Since then we added CMC which has taken away some of Deebo's role especially in that contract year where Deebo was also almost our best rusher. Also at that point we had a QB earning a lot less than what we can project for Purdy. If Purdy is as good as the contract he will get you have to trust he can get it done without having a top paid receiver. 

Edited by Justone2

1 hour ago, Justone2 said:

Ayiuk benefits because he almost never gets double teamed or draws the #1 CB from the other team so while there isn't as many schemed touches for him he does 100% profits from being in this offense. Can he improve elsewhere in terms of bulk stats? Probably yeah but i don't think he will have the same efficiency he has now with us if he is the main guy. 

This includes straight doubles, bracketing, etc. He may not be strongly straight doubled given the offense, but he sees multiple defenders in some capacity a decent percentage of the time according 

I think this shouldn't be all that surprising given he's the team's X receiver and also the primary vertical. 

4 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Interesting! Someone posted about it last night, let’s see what happens

Judon is practicing. I do not believe Bourne is 

24 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Those are all pure hypothetical's. But i don't think if his role increases his efficiency stays the same. Will he be getting a bump if Kittle and Deebo leave? Sure but when that happens its more important to find adequate replacements for them than project Aiyuk will keep him numbers the same while getting a higher percentage of targets. Could he grow to say 100 receptions? Probably yeah but i don't think his yards will go up to 1790 but more likely be around 1500. An aging Kittle/Deebo for me isn't a argument to pay Aiyuk 30 mil.

I know and its the main reason i was for trading Deebo when that whole saga happened. Besides that Deebo was at that point almost our entire offense. Since then we added CMC which has taken away some of Deebo's role especially in that contract year where Deebo was also almost our best rusher. Also at that point we had a QB earning a lot less than what we can project for Purdy. If Purdy is as good as the contract he will get you have to trust he can get it done without having a top paid receiver. 

This contract would not just be for 2024, but also going forward. The team IS going to lose Deebo/Kittle soon or those two will be on the decline after 2025. That does not seem like a good plan to give Purdy a mega contract with declining weapons. You are trading away the one emerging young weapon that you have....for a mere 2nd round pick. You can get around paying him 30M by getting rid of another WR making 20M+ next season.

We can agree to disagree but this move does not make sense for the short-term, nor the long-term to ME. 

I feel like Aiyuk is going to bet on himself again and play on the 5th year option. I don’t think he likes either team (Cle/NE). I think if he did, the deal would have already happened. 

Kyles interview is going to be interesting. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I feel like Aiyuk is going to bet on himself again and play on the 5th year option. I don’t think he likes either team (Cle/NE). I think if he did, the deal would have already happened. 

Kyles interview is going to be interesting. 

Moving clear across the country to a Midwest city where November on its windy and cold and you’re playing in a very physical environment and division basically every week with a quarterback downgrade isn’t a huge selling point.

• Like 2

MM thinks there's a legit chance he stays with the niners. Jennifer Lee Chan thinks he stays.

So after all that, we have framework with two teams Aiyuk may not want to go to. The Steelers are out, unless they aren't. Aiyuk is probably getting traded, except he may not. Aiyuk wants to get traded, but apparently not really. 

Two weeks people. And if I hear any lip, I'll make it 3!

• Like 3