Tag and Trade Ansah

Karnage84

I'm of the group that feels Ezekiel Ansah is set for a big contract even though his production would not justify it. Spotrac estimates somewhere around $9.4M for 2 years. Alex Okafor is currently projected for similar money for 4 years. The Franchise Tag is valued around $12M.

I feel that a team like Cleveland with their plethora of picks would be interested in Ansah to bookend Garrett. Tagging Ansah would give us the ability to obtain compensation potentially higher than what we would receive in comp picks. The Browns also have the money to throw at Ansah to get him to sign a longer term contract.

What are your thoughts on a potential "trade and tag" situation? How would this affect our salary cap situation?

The franchise tag would be about 17 to 18 million for Ansah, not 12 million. The Lions won't franchise tag him at that price, they're more likely to sign him to a one year deal at half of that price. If he thinks he can get a big deal elsewhere then they should let him walk. The Lions do have some cap space this year, but not enough to blow 18 million on one player who hasn't been healthy in years.

Also, the Browns won't want Ansah. Myles Garrett already looks better than him and Emmanuel Ogbah has been playing very well for them. Ansah wouldn't start on the Browns, especially with how much he has struggled to stay healthy.

1 hour ago, IDOG_det said:

The franchise tag would be about 17 to 18 million for Ansah, not 12 million. The Lions won't franchise tag him at that price, they're more likely to sign him to a one year deal at half of that price. If he thinks he can get a big deal elsewhere then they should let him walk. The Lions do have some cap space this year, but not enough to blow 18 million on one player who hasn't been healthy in years.

Also, the Browns won't want Ansah. Myles Garrett already looks better than him and Emmanuel Ogbah has been playing very well for them. Ansah wouldn't start on the Browns, especially with how much he has struggled to stay healthy.

The $12M figure came from a few different sources - I believe Fanspeak was one. My expectation is that someone will offer him a multi-year contract of $9 - 10M based on his physical skillsets and potential upside. Jared Allen netted KC quite a bit when he was traded to Minnesota. I don't expect that kind of return at all. Possibly a 2nd and a 3rd or 4th. Far end including a 2019 1st somewhere in there. Cleveland is an obvious contender with a boatload of picks but there are a few other teams who could be interested in that kind of offer. Maybe the Jets or Bills who both have multiple picks in the 2nd.

we need pass rushers... I wouldn't mind doing what Seattle did when they first signed Cliff Avril from us 2 yr 13 mil(todays money maybe 2 yrs 16 mil per sport track its between 12-13 highest) and if he plays like he did when we first drafted him, extent him.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

The $12M figure came from a few different sources - I believe Fanspeak was one. My expectation is that someone will offer him a multi-year contract of $9 - 10M based on his physical skillsets and potential upside. Jared Allen netted KC quite a bit when he was traded to Minnesota. I don't expect that kind of return at all. Possibly a 2nd and a 3rd or 4th. Far end including a 2019 1st somewhere in there. Cleveland is an obvious contender with a boatload of picks but there are a few other teams who could be interested in that kind of offer. Maybe the Jets or Bills who both have multiple picks in the 2nd.

That $12 million number makes no sense. The franchise tag amount for the average top 5 defensive ends cap hits in 2017 was $16.9 million, it will be even higher this year. Even if that average were somehow lower this year, Ansah's franchise tag literally could not be possibly be $12 million. His cap hit this year is $12.7 million. The franchise tag is the higher number between the average top 5 of that position or 120% of the previous year cap hit. 120% of $12.7 million is about $15.25 million. That is the lowest his franchise tag amount would be.

2 hours ago, ohiogenius said:

We are good on starting DEs.

We need a 3rd rusher. 

I thought Ansah was good, whats the deal with him.

His ankles, knees, and shoulders are made of paper mache. He was great in 2015, last year he wasn't healthy at all and this year hasn't been much better. He does have 6 sacks this year but 3 of those came against the corpse of Ereck Flowers and the rest have seemingly came only when he was cleaning up someone elses pressure. 

This situation is very different from Jared Allen, He was still good.

I don't think it's a bad idea especially if you can pull if off an send him to AFC. I just don't think you're getting the haul you image. Something like a 3rd-5th rounder, ALONE seems reasonable. An even still a team has to figure Lions will franchise him and not let him test the market.

22 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

This situation is very different from Jared Allen, He was still good.

I don't think it's a bad idea especially if you can pull if off an send him to AFC. I just don't think you're getting the haul you image. Something like a 3rd-5th rounder, ALONE seems reasonable. An even still a team has to figure Lions will franchise him and not let him test the market.

My expectation is that if that was the max value for the trade then we'd just let him walk and get the comp pick in 2019.

As Lions fans, I do think that we are a bit too close to things and have a negative perception of Ansah as a result. We all agree that he has dropped off as of late, principally due to injuries. He also is a physical freak that has a prior history of success. Spotrac does estimate him to get a contract of about $9.5M. That's not chump change. He'd be the 11th highest paid DE in the entire league. Someone is going to try and sign him. It just wouldn't hurt to get some compensation for him in return.

We should have nearly $60M of cap room. It's possible that we franchise him and either try to re-sign him or let someone else pay him and get some pieces back to move forward.

Archived