Steelers 2024 Training Camp Thread

I wish people would chill out a bit about how our OL looked against the Texans, especially in regards to two very young players who are still adjusting.

Again, I do worry that we may still need a lomg term LT, but I am fully confident both Jones and Fautanu will be good players on our OL for years to come.

• Like 4

Prior to this season I hadn't watch a lot of Wilson or Fields tbh, so pardon my ignorance.

I don't think either guy is necessarily great at this, but which guy is better suited for a rhythm/timing offense? It seems like from my cursory knowledge of them that neither are great at it. I know Fields struggles with timing. I know Wilson historically liked to move around and buy time.   

I ask this question because potentially adding Aiyuk has made me think of it. I know Aiyuk is a guy that does well with precision routes and timing(I think. Again, I don't watch a lot of non Steeles games).

55 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Prior to this season I hadn't watch a lot of Wilson or Fields tbh, so pardon my ignorance.

I don't think either guy is necessarily great at this, but which guy is better suited for a rhythm/timing offense? It seems like from my cursory knowledge of them that neither are great at it. I know Fields struggles with timing. I know Wilson historically liked to move around and buy time.   

I ask this question because potentially adding Aiyuk has made me think of it. I know Aiyuk is a guy that does well with precision routes and timing(I think. Again, I don't watch a lot of non Steeles games).

I was listening to a podcast where the host mentioned Aiyuk being great at getting open with the QB is scrambling.  I expect Fields or wilson to do that a lot.

1 hour ago, August4th said:

I was listening to a podcast where the host mentioned Aiyuk being great at getting open with the QB is scrambling.  I expect Fields or wilson to do that a lot.

especially if the OL doesn't improve

19 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

It’s not a great fit with either, as you mentioned, but to answer your question it’s likely Russ just based on experience. He has seen more and therefore should be comfortable operating faster…it’s just not his style. You can probably train/coach Fields to be that moreso than Wilson because of his age and lower experience level, but if you were to need that skill set tomorrow it’s likely russ.

I find this whole thing interesting. Fields and Wilson are a bad fit for Arthur Smith, but if they land Aiyuk it’s going to be Arthur Smith that’s the bad fit for the team. 

• Like 1