Steelers 2024 Training Camp Thread

45 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

success we’ve seen from Green

FWIW I think we overplay that a bit. He was "ok" at best before the knee injury and looks to be a backup this year with the Texans. And Dotson I chalk up to never being healthy outside his rookie year. He delt with knee and core muscle pull that lingered all season both years.

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, warfelg said:

FWIW I think we overplay that a bit. He was "ok" at best before the knee injury and looks to be a backup this year with the Texans. And Dotson I chalk up to never being healthy outside his rookie year. He delt with knee and core muscle pull that lingered all season both years.

He has looked good this preseason as well and I’ve seen enough to know he was pretty certainly playing out of position here.

I will respectfully pass on going through the Dotson convo with you again. 

12 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I don’t have a super strong take on Meyer either way, I probably lean towards him needing to be replaced due to the success we’ve seen from Green and Dotson since left (although Tomlin probably deserves some of the blame for having those guys playing out of position). 

But didn’t you make a post a week ago saying you weren’t panicking on the O-Line and that patience would be required this season? I agreed with you there… I am fully expecting it to be a bumpy ride to start. I said leading up to training camp that continuity on the line from day 1 would be absolutely critical and it’s been a complete mess so far. Fautanu missing valuable reps, wasting time with Herbig at center (sucks that he got injured but at least it is forcing the issue with Frazier), and flip flopping Broderick in addition to him clearly not being healthy right now. 

So while Meyer probably should be on the hot seat, I personally won’t be coming for his head if the O-Line isn’t on fire out of the gate. 

My take on the o-line is that I am still not panicking. Moore has actually really impressed me in the first two preseason games after I crapped on him all offseason. Enough to where I feel “ok” if he is the LT starter to begin the season. Frazier will be a massive upgrade over Cole from week 1. And I have faith Fautanu will be a significant upgrade from Chuks at least a few weeks into the season. So I think we will be fine, but patience will definitely be required.

Im not panicking yet.   Just saying if players like Daniels, Semulo and even Broderick struggle early on and it takes until mid-season for them to return to form, that indicates a bad trend.   I expect struggles, especially from first and second year players, but when veterans are struggling with fundamentals and it takes them several weeks to get back to where they were, I really have to question the leadership.

In reality, its likely a combination of numerous factors, but the coach is supposed to bring it all together and its not happening under Meyer.   I hope it does.   I defended him in 2022 and to a lesser extent in 23, but its getting to a point where "lack of talent" isnt an excuse anymore.   I dont expect an elite OLine, but I certainly expect better results that 2022 and even 2023.   If its more of the same....buh bye.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, warfelg said:

I heard rumor we may see Fautanu at RT week 1 and Jones to the IR to be pulled off and replace Moore at that point. 

If they plan to IR him for an injury that he has had most of camp, they should have already done it (or at least rested him). Why delay a recovery if the plan is to IR him.

21 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

If they plan to IR him for an injury that he has had most of camp, they should have already done it (or at least rested him). Why delay a recovery if the plan is to IR him.

I believe that if you go on IR right now you are done for the year. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2024 at 12:41 AM, 43M said:

Im not panicking yet.   Just saying if players like Daniels, Semulo and even Broderick struggle early on and it takes until mid-season for them to return to form, that indicates a bad trend.   

Daniels has been a slow starter every season that he has been here. 

I expect struggles, especially from first and second year players, but when veterans are struggling with fundamentals and it takes them several weeks to get back to where they were, I really have to question the leadership.

That should be on the players. These guys live football. They are experienced and have been taught the fundamentals. Repetitionis something that helps and you should not be losing this year in and year out. We hold the coaches at a higher level than the players and sometimes that is acceptable. However, these guys have daily meetings, walkthroughs, practices, and position drills. No reason for fundementals to be an issue at this level. PERIOD!  If that's the case, these guys need to take a long hard look at themselves and their chosen profession. 

In reality, its likely a combination of numerous factors, but the coach is supposed to bring it all together and its not happening under Meyer.   I hope it does.   

I was critical of Pat Meyer, but you also have to look at the flip side. Spencer Anderson and Dylan Cook have improved.  Why are the starters regressing? They all get the same coaching, meetings, etc.  

I defended him in 2022 and to a lesser extent in 23, but its getting to a point where "lack of talent" isnt an excuse anymore.   I dont expect an elite OLine, but I certainly expect better results that 2022 and even 2023.   If its more of the same....buh bye.

I agree. I have wanted Munchack back here in any capacity as he seemed to ignite that meeting room. I don't think Meyer has honestly done anything wrong. I put a lot of it on player execution.  These guys have talent. 

7 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I think that is correct.  After roster cut down he can go on IR with a 6 week designation

53-man I think you have to put any injured player on the initial 53 man roster.  After cut down day on Tuesday. Then going into week one preparation after that you can place a player on IR and as Jebrick said, they get on the six-week designation. 

8 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

Why have him putting in reps then (like I said) if they know he needs healing time?

That I have no clue on. Maybe it’s one of those can’t hurt it worse so go out there and get some reps. 

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

That I have no clue on. Maybe it’s one of those can’t hurt it worse so go out there and get some reps. 

He said it wasn't going to get any better. So maybe rest wouldn't help. 🤷‍♂️

On 8/21/2024 at 10:07 PM, warfelg said:

I heard rumor we may see Fautanu at RT week 1 and Jones to the IR to be pulled off and replace Moore at that point. 

how many weeks would jones be on IR?  It's the right thing to do, let it heal instead of possibly making it worse

If Moore plays good , then he should stay out there as the starter, only if he is good though. 

Put Jones as a blocking TE with DW80