MLB Trade Deadline Thread

naptownskinsfan

It is a good addition and subtraction movement by Yankees.    In is Mark Leiter Jr; Out is Caleb Ferguson.

Many of us Yankee fans want Jack Neely to be on Yankees roster but Leiter is on hook for 2 more seasons after this season I think.

As I expect Yankees won't make a big splash today.

Another meh trade deadline for the Tigers.  Wait around and get very little.  Moved Chafin for some scraps who likely won't see the majors, held onto Flaherty and Skubal (glad we kept Skubal but should have moved Flaherty).  Given the price of pitching, especially pitching with control left, the Tigers should have moved at least one of Flaherty, Mize, or Manning.  

Jack Flaherty to the Dodgers

Kevin Kiermaier also to the Dodgers

Happy with the Dodgers additions at the deadline. Got some good depth on offense and another SP and a bullpen arm.

Need to get the others healthy and back to pitching like they can. 

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Another meh trade deadline for the Tigers.  Wait around and get very little.  Moved Chafin for some scraps who likely won't see the majors, held onto Flaherty and Skubal (glad we kept Skubal but should have moved Flaherty).  Given the price of pitching, especially pitching with control left, the Tigers should have moved at least one of Flaherty, Mize, or Manning.  

We traded Flaherty to the Dodgers but dunno the return yet

** potentially Thayron Liranzo and Trey Sweeney. Still pretty underwhelming, especially considering what the Jays got for Kikuchi

**** Canha to the Giants for Eric Silva.

We got something for a few guys we knew wouldn't be back, but it's not a great return anywhere. I think we got 1 potential impact player in Thayron Liranzo. I don't think anyone else will be a regular major leaguer.

Edited by nagahide13

So let’s get this straight:  

Orioles trade three org top 20 guys for SP Zach Eflin, contract through 2025

Orioles trade OF Austin Hays for RP Seranthony Dominguez and OF Cristian Pache.  

Orioles trade 2B Connor Norby and OF Kyle Stowers for SP Trevor Rogers, contract through 2026 

Orioles trade minimal return for DH Eloy Jimenez, basically guaranteeing him a $6m buyout 

Orioles trade two pitching prospects for RP Gregory Soto, contract through 2025 

Orioles trade cash considerations for Austin Slater 

Orioles recalling Jackson Holliday

Orioles designating SP Cole Irvin for assignment 

How does the roster play out?  I’ve got Eflin and Rogers to the rotation to join Burnes, Rodriguez and Kremer.  Povich back to minor leagues, and Albert Suarez to the bullpen as a long reliever/multi-inning guy.  

I guess Pache is replaced by Slater.  Holliday replaces Norby.  Another reliever goes for Soto.  Slater is probably getting ABs against LHP in LF, as Jimenez will DH.  

Unless the Orioles are seeing something in Rogers that they can correct, I’m just not sure this amounts to anything other than reshuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic for 2025.  There is no stopper at #3 in a playoff series.  The bullpen doesn’t get a difference-maker, and it is entirely possible that they do not have Danny Coulombe and Felix Bautista for the playoffs.  

3 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

** potentially Thayron Liranzo and Trey Sweeney. Still pretty underwhelming, especially considering what the Jays got for Kikuchi

**** Canha to the Giants for Eric Silva.

We got something for a few guys we knew wouldn't be back, but it's not a great return anywhere. I think we got 1 potential impact player in Thayron Liranzo. I don't think anyone else will be a regular major leaguer.

Yeah, that came in at the end and I’m not happy with it. Flaherty could have got the QO and at least got us a comp pick. Liranzo is meh. He might develop but he is a high risk prospect. Sweeney might be able to be a small upgrade to Kreidler but again, not likely. Silva is a potential RP but doubt he ever makes it to the bigs. 

20 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Yeah, I don't mind Thayron as part of that deal, but it seems like a really small compensation compared to a lot of the other SP deals happening (Rogers especially, but Kikuchi too). I know supposedly the Yankees balked at Flaherty's medicals, maybe that was a widespread thing and it depressed value?

On 7/30/2024 at 2:57 PM, agarcia34 said:

Jack Flaherty to the Dodgers

Kevin Kiermaier also to the Dodgers

Happy with the Dodgers additions at the deadline. Got some good depth on offense and another SP and a bullpen arm.

Need to get the others healthy and back to pitching like they can. 

I'd like to be optimistic, but Dave Roberts is the Dodgers achilles heel. He's cornered the market on postseason underachieving.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2024 at 8:21 PM, Football_Bachelor08 said:

I'd like to be optimistic, but Dave Roberts is the Dodgers achilles heel. He's cornered the market on postseason underachieving.

Trust me I feel the same way. He just makes it so hard to fully believe.