Jordan Love extended (4 years, $220M, $75M SB, $155M GTD)

7 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

At the time, they weren't wrong.  He was a guy with very limited mop-up time and middling preseason games.  Nobody was giving up anything for that, and we weren't going to take a low ball offer.

Point being .. Packers saw something in him .. had the balls to make the move.  It looks like another high end QB being in GB for the next 5 years.  Impressive.

8 hours ago, OzPackfan said:

I'm hoping something like this as it gives flexibility for future years:

2024: $11M base salary, $16.76M signing bonus, $0.5M workout bonus = $28.26M cap hit
2025: $19M base salary (GTD), $16.76M signing bonus, $30M Roster Bonus, $0.5M workout bonus, $1.25M per game bonuses = $67.51M cap hit
2026: $20M base salary (GTD), $16.76M signing bonus, $0.5M workout bonus, $1.25M per game bonuses = $38.51M cap hit
2027: $25M base salary (partially GTD), $16.76M signing bonus, $0.5M workout bonus, $1.25M per game bonuses = $43.51M cap hit
2028: $28.5M base salary, $15M signing bonus, $0.5M workout bonus, $1.25M per game bonuses = $45.25M cap hit

I'd be VERY surprised if we front loaded that deal into 2025.  Although, it wouldn't be hard to spread out that 2025 roster bonus to create more cap space in 2025 if they wanted to spend money.  Pre-Jordan Love extension, the Packers are around $30.4M in cap space this year and a projected $56.2M in cap space next year.  If that deal went through, the Packers would be just $15.4M under the cap this year and $8.1M over the cap next year pending the rollover amount.  Restructuring Jordan Love's roster bonus would get the Packers back to being cap compliant, but they'd have virtually no spending power in FA.

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

NOTE: This is purely speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me if this was the way the contract was structured.  My guess is they could front load a contract even more if they wanted.  Numbers are rounded for simplicity's sake.

Jordan Love - 4 years, $220M, $75M signing bonus, $155M GTD
2024: $10.5M base salary, $16.8M signing bonus, $0.5M workout bonus = $27.8M cap hit
2025: $31.5M base salary (GTD), $16.8M signing bonus, $0.5M workout bonus = $48.8M cap hit
2026: $34.2M base salary (GTD), $16.8M signing bonus, $0.5M workout bonus = $51.4M cap hit
2027: $37.1M base salary (partially GTD), $16.8M signing bonus, $0.5M workout bonus = $54.3M cap hit
2028: $40.2M base salary, $15M signing bonus, $0.5M workout bonus = $55.7M cap hit

Looks like they lowered his 2024 base salary to somewhere around $4M.

10 hours ago, StatKing said:

When did it become a thing that the next guy up has to be the highest paid? Wish these teams would start playing more hardball with these QBs.

DAL has been playing hardball with Dak, and I expect SF may do the same with Purdy.  We'll see how it works out for them.

25 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd be VERY surprised if we front loaded that deal into 2025.  Although, it wouldn't be hard to spread out that 2025 roster bonus to create more cap space in 2025 if they wanted to spend money.  Pre-Jordan Love extension, the Packers are around $30.4M in cap space this year and a projected $56.2M in cap space next year.  If that deal went through, the Packers would be just $15.4M under the cap this year and $8.1M over the cap next year pending the rollover amount.  Restructuring Jordan Love's roster bonus would get the Packers back to being cap compliant, but they'd have virtually no spending power in FA.

You are probably right but there are some cut candidates next year (P Smith, Alexander) and other restructure candidates (Alexander, Gary, Clark) so there is flexibility. There also aren't many free agents that are must sign (closest would be Myers, Slaton, Stokes).

Front loading as much into 2024 and 2025 allows flexibility for 2026 through 2028 when there will be plenty of people to pay to keep them out of free agency.

58 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's how economics works...

I may just be looking at things through rose colored glasses but I don't remember this next man up mentality being a thing back in the day.

23 minutes ago, OzPackfan said:

You are probably right but there are some cut candidates next year (P Smith, Alexander) and other restructure candidates (Alexander, Gary, Clark) so there is flexibility. There also aren't many free agents that are must sign (closest would be Myers, Slaton, Stokes).

Front loading as much into 2024 and 2025 allows flexibility for 2026 through 2028 when there will be plenty of people to pay to keep them out of free agency.

I was thinking more in terms of starting to extend their '26 FAs.  Their '25 FA list is pretty underwhelming.  You've got Josh Myers, TJ Slaton, and maybe Eric Stokes as potential FAs of note.  But that 2026 FA class potentially includes Zach Tom, Romeo Doubs, and Christian Watson.  You have to figure Tom is going to be a priority, and one of Watson or Doubs gets a new deal done prior to hitting FA.

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

And then do what? There's 2/3's of the league at a minimum that would give their left nut to have Love as their QB AND signed for the next 4-5 years. Agree the $$ amounts have escalated big time but it's what the market demands. Hardball is a tough game to play.

Everybody says they would get more on the open market but none of them ever get there so how do we really know?

1 minute ago, StatKing said:

I may just be looking at things through rose colored glasses but I don't remember this next man up mentality being a thing back in the day.

The NFL salary cap eclipsed $100M back in 2006 ($102M to be exact).  In 18 years, the salary cap has grown by 250%.  For comparison, the salary cap in 2006 was 275% more than what the salary cap was in 1995 a mere 9 years earlier.  Until we see that salary cap start to flatten out, this is going to be the new norm.  With the exception of 2021 (and the COVID cap), the league salary cap has grown by at least 5% every year since 2014.  And 2 of the last 3 years, the cap has grown by 13%+.

11 hours ago, StatKing said:

When did it become a thing that the next guy up has to be the highest paid? Wish these teams would start playing more hardball with these QBs.

The Packers were in no position to hardball after the season Love had. The Packers dont have any insurance other than Love at QB. If you're rocking with the guy you have to pay him market value +. They had no leverage to play around much.

Super happy for J Love and I'm stoked that he is going to be leading this young and uber talented team. Everyone in the locker room seems to really love and rally behind him. 

These next several years are going to be very fun to watch!

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Point being .. Packers saw something in him .. had the balls to make the move.  It looks like another high end QB being in GB for the next 5 years.  Impressive.

No.  The point being is that Love's value was similar to the value of Trey Lance at that moment in time, probably less since Lance is younger and was a higher pick originally.  The Packers were not going to get more than a 4th.  Now, it looks like that was a good move for the Packers.  But that doesn't change the fact that Love had very little value to any trade partner before the middle of last season.  

Just compare their first two seasons:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LancTr00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LoveJo03.htm

Don't get me wrong.  I love me some Jordan Love.  But when establishing that value, you have to pretend you are the Saints, or Broncos.  You need a QB, you have the 8th pick or something.  Are you going to take a rookie, or a guy with 2 TDs and 4 INTs in two seasons of limited playing time?