2024 Preseason GDT Week #2 Steelers vs. Bills

14 hours ago, 43M said:

We had years under Ben where the offense looked meh in the preseason.    Not that I expect much from this offense, but I am not going sweat it right now.

As I said, even if this offense has ANY potential of being decent, we may not see it until after the first month.

-Completely new OC and offense

-All new QB room (not a particularly exciting one, though)

-ANOTHER completely retooled and extremely young offensive line that will still need work this year and probably into next.

-Major uncertainty at WR and who will step up behind Pickens.

Well said.   Fans are fickle. They want you to be world beaters at every turn.  A lot of self inflicted mental errors as well. Third and one and third and two and they had pre-snap penalties. These were drive stoppers and game flow changers. This was the Steelers last year. That is mental disipline.  That has to get fixed.

5 Up and 5 Down Recap

Through two preseason games, I see a lot of sloppy Steelers football. I think this is a better offense even without a true #1B or #2 WR.  I see the same issues that limited the offense last year. "Mental mistakes" at key points. Twice on third and one or two the team had presnap false start penalties.  That's discipline. 

I put the onus on the leaders and continuing growing relationship with OC Arthur Smith.  This is despite some inconsistent play on the OL and spotty vanilla defensive play.

5 Up

1. Miles Killabrew - - Good to see him make a play in the secondary. 

2. Johnson. Finally, a punter that I can love. What a leg.  Now if our coverage teams would support his leg!🤐

3. Connor Heyward - - I thought he may be a cap casualty, but he has made plays in each game.

4. Nick Herbig - - Tremendous explosiveness and motor and looks like a "Baby TJ." 

5 A. Calvin Austin has stepped his game up. Looks solid as PR and getting some separation in the passing game. He looks focused.  Minus his untimely, false start. 

5 B. Corey Trice - - He is improving with his on field play.

5 C. Mark Robinson.  I am tough on him, but he played a solid game at ILB and on special teams.

5 Down

1. OL - - Inconsistent and needs time to gell. However, the pass protection has been horrible in both preseason games.

2. Run defense at times looks bad. Although the back-ups, the Bills OL moved the Steelers DL with 9 consecutive runs in the third quarter and moved the ball into the redzone.

3. Lack of offensive cohesion.  A polar opposite to last year. Not a huge concern with a new offense, new OL pieces, no Russ for much of pre-season, and just rust.  Great third quarter opening drive of 13 or 14 plays, but didn't read the defense on 4th and two with read option. No points.

4. Special Teams coverage.  Loss of outside Gunner looks bad. Too much yardage given on punt returns after finally getting a punter who can put the ball in orbit!

5. Media trying to start a QB controversy. Not taking sides, but I want the best person to help the team win in the end. Russ has been on the shelf. He's an older QB and in the long run, that was probably the better decision. Neither looks like the second coming of Brady, Peyton, Patrick, or LaMarr in this offense.  The scheme is also very vanilla and the play has been inconsistent elsewher as well. One preseaon game with Russ. I want h=to see the team play well Sept-Feb, not May-August.   

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

5 Up and 5 Down Recap

Through two preseason games, I see a lot of sloppy Steelers football. I think this is a better offense even without a true #1B or #2 WR.  I see the same issues that limited the offense last year. "Mental mistakes" at key points. Twice on third and one or two the team had presnap false start penalties.  That's discipline. 

I put the onus on the leaders and continuing growing relationship with OC Arthur Smith.  This is despite some inconsistent play on the OL and spotty vanilla defensive play.

5 Up

1. Miles Killabrew - - Good to see him make a play in the secondary. 

2. Johnson. Finally, a punter that I can love. What a leg.  Now if our coverage teams would support his leg!🤐

3. Connor Heyward - - I thought he may be a cap casualty, but he has made plays in each game.

4. Nick Herbig - - Tremendous explosiveness and motor and looks like a "Baby TJ." 

5 A. Calvin Austin has stepped his game up. Looks solid as PR and getting some separation in the passing game. He looks focused.  Minus his untimely, false start. 

5 B. Corey Trice - - He is improving with his on field play.

5 C. Mark Robinson.  I am tough on him, but he played a solid game at ILB and on special teams.

5 Down

1. OL - - Inconsistent and needs time to gell. However, the pass protection has been horrible in both preseason games.

2. Run defense at times looks bad. Although the back-ups, the Bills OL moved the Steelers DL with 9 consecutive runs in the third quarter and moved the ball into the redzone.

3. Lack of offensive cohesion.  A polar opposite to last year. Not a huge concern with a new offense, new OL pieces, no Russ for much of pre-season, and just rust.  Great third quarter opening drive of 13 or 14 plays, but didn't read the defense on 4th and two with read option. No points.

4. Special Teams coverage.  Loss of outside Gunner looks bad. Too much yardage given on punt returns after finally getting a punter who can put the ball in orbit!

5. Media trying to start a QB controversy. Not taking sides, but I want the best person to help the team win in the end. Russ has been on the shelf. He's an older QB and in the long run, that was probably the better decision. Neither looks like the second coming of Brady, Peyton, Patrick, or LaMarr in this offense.  The scheme is also very vanilla and the play has been inconsistent elsewher as well. One preseaon game with Russ. I want h=to see the team play well Sept-Feb, not May-August.   

Not really impressed by Austin tbh.  He needs to overwhelm imo for him to take / keep a spot on "my" roster, feels a lot like keeping Leal & Loudermilk on the roster, waiting for that glimmer of hope that they show their best case scenario. To Leal's credit I did like the one pass rush rep at the beginning of the 2nd half that i noticed, but then saw him getting pushed around inside a little later. Loudermilk...its pretty much time to go. Hes the new Daniel McCCullers when you just dont have a better body to put in there just keep the big guy.

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Not really impressed by Austin tbh.  He needs to overwhelm imo for him to take / keep a spot on "my" roster, feels a lot like keeping Leal & Loudermilk on the roster, waiting for that glimmer of hope that they show their best case scenario. To Leal's credit I did like the one pass rush rep at the beginning of the 2nd half that i noticed, but then saw him getting pushed around inside a little later. Loudermilk...it’s pretty much time to go. Hes the new Daniel McCCullers when you just dont have a better body to put in there just keep the big guy.

Austin has done nothing either without the ball in his hands, yet. Neither has Leal, who is less of a physical fit than Loudermilk imo.

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Not really impressed by Austin tbh.

I am giving him some credit for what he did in the punt returns and he seemed to improve in the passing game.  The other issue was the poor pass protection.  It definitely disrupts the passing attack getting in sync. This is especially true in preseason. 

He needs to overwhelm imo for him to take / keep a spot on "my" roster,

He has been lukewarm but, not hot. I have no problem with giving ups when a player tries to stand out. He's not my favorite choice for a #3 WR/ PR but he's competing. 

feels a lot like keeping Leal & Loudermilk on the roster,

Leal has looked better pass rushing.  He's never going to make it inside.  That's not his game.  Loudermilk has not popped out/ stood out. He has incrementally gotten better, but still not consistent enough. 

waiting for that glimmer of hope that they show their best case scenario. To Leal's credit I did like the one pass rush rep at the beginning of the 2nd half that i noticed, but then saw him getting pushed around inside a little later.

Guy is just not a DT. Why put him there? 

Loudermilk...its pretty much time to go. He's the new Daniel McCCullers when you just dont have a better body to put in there just keep the big guy.

Yeah.  I agree.

38 minutes ago, August4th said:

Austin so called blazing speed has been underwhelming 

I don't think his speed has been an issue.  He missed a chance to make a play on a long, but catchable ball last week.  He made a terrible mental error on a false start. He has not gotten much help on his PR's.  He looks better than the previous two seasons.  He is trending upwards in play. 

11 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

another archer

Not that straight line fast, but nowhere near as bad.