Falcons sign Safety Justin Simmons

SteelKing728

12 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

As great of a duo Bates and Simmons seem on paper, I do wonder how they'll compliment each other. They're both have the same strengths and are ideally high safeties. Not to say Simmons isn't good in run support but its not what he is known for unlike a Derwin James or Jamal Adams type.  

In the modern NFL, Simmons is more than capable of playing the required amount of snaps near the LOS. You don't play many teams that require an 8 man box very often, and Simmons is more than capable of playing physical enough in the run game to take on a TE if he has to come down.

In truth, I'm a little gutted Simmons didn't go to a perennial contender to win a Championship.

One thing nobody has mentioned so far is the calibre of person Simmons is. He's the ultimate pro - a fiery competitor but a team first guy without doubt. He's got some pretty amazing fits on gameday too, for the fashionistas out there ...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Kyle Hamilton is better than either safeties on Atlanta but Marcus Williams is nothing compared to Simmons or Bates.  Maybe if Eddie Jackson is some star for Baltimore but not sure that is in the cards for him anymore.  Simmons and Bates is better combo than Hamilton and Williams if they can stay healthy.

Without the pass rusher Atlanta would have struggled big time on D but now with Judon and Simmons, they will be the favorites to win that division.  Sadly for them Detroit, Green Bay, Philadelphia, Rams and the 49ers are still all probably better than them in terms of top to bottom roster.  Also they all have far better QBs than Cousins.

As a Falcons fan, I agree. I will also take getting back to the playoffs to start, then building on that in the coming years.

8 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So why did they wait all off-season to make this move, as well as Judon?  Are things that disjointed down there, along with the whole Cousins/Penix decision? 

They offered more for Danielle Hunter but he took less to go home. After that, I think they wanted to see what they had in the young guys (Trice, Ebiketie, Grant, Hellams) at those 2 spots. 2 of the 4 are now out for the year after Preseason Week 1 and the jury is still out on the other 2. Perfect storm of upgrading while needing depth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DM316 said:

As a Falcons fan, I agree. I will also take getting back to the playoffs to start, then building on that in the coming years.

Well based on the signings of Simmons and Judon, they want their Super Bowl shot to be right now.

Because I doubt they will be able to long term sign Simmons or Judon honestly with the little cap room they have in the coming years, surprised they could even sign them this year honestly.

Not sure they can get it done but getting two elite players like that is a big move and they want it to pay off right now with a Super Bowl appearance.  Not sure it will happen with Cousins at QB but maybe he is better than he was in Minnesota and he looks better off the torn achilles. Doubt that is the case though.

18 hours ago, Soko said:

Probably the best safety tandem, with Terrell back there to boot. Judon rushing the passer, this Falcons defense might surprise!

Wonder why the Saints didn’t sign him after such a great visit, huh.

He didn't sign with the Saints by choice. As in, he didn't like what was going on there.

16 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

Heads up from a Broncos fan. There's a reason why Justin was available for this long. He definitely took a step back last year despite the accolades. It's possible he just had an offyear and will be great for you guys, but ya...he kinda became this gamble type player hunting for interceptions and getting beat a lot of times. Still a pretty good tackler though. I doubt you will be disappointed if you got him for a good price

15 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

As another Broncos fan, I disagree with that assessment. Was he a top 5 safety like he was in his prime? No. But he's still close to that still playing closer to a top 10 safety.  

As great of a duo Bates and Simmons seem on paper, I do wonder how they'll compliment each other. They're both have the same strengths and are ideally high safeties. Not to say Simmons isn't good in run support but its not what he is known for unlike a Derwin James or Jamal Adams type.  

I saw a lot of Simmons film last year. Seemed like he wasn't bought into Sean Payton at times. I think Simmons is more of a FS in this scheme, though. Bates can play both FS and SS so expect Bates to be the SS this year. Lots of C2, C4 and C6 in Morris' shell though. So shouldn't be too tough to get these two to fit.

14 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Falcons loading up to stop Bryce, Mayfield, and Carr

6-0 in the division does make it easier to get to the playoffs.

10 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So why did they wait all off-season to make this move, as well as Judon?  Are things that disjointed down there, along with the whole Cousins/Penix decision? 

Because sometimes, teams wait for prices to drop on some really good players instead of paying stupid high prices at the beginning of free agency.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DM316 said:

They offered more for Danielle Hunter but he took less to go home. After that, I think they wanted to see what they had in the young guys (Trice, Ebiketie, Grant, Hellams) at those 2 spots. 2 of the 4 are now out for the year after Preseason Week 1 and the jury is still out on the other 2. Perfect storm of upgrading while needing depth.

I can see that making sense, but usually these types of players aren’t hanging around at the start of training camp and a week-ish (almost two) into the pre-season.  

They are professionals.  I doubt there is any sort of acclimation that they need to do, but it’s just weird to see.  

17 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I can see that making sense, but usually these types of players aren’t hanging around at the start of training camp and a week-ish (almost two) into the pre-season.  

They are professionals.  I doubt there is any sort of acclimation that they need to do, but it’s just weird to see.  

One of these moves was a trade that has probably been brewing for a while for Judon and just finally got completed.

16 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It’s more of the waiting this long to do it.  

Waiting this long to snipe a multi-time All-Pro that didn't want to sign with anyone until late in camp is actually smart. Especially since they already liked their safeties.

27 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I mean, Judon might have just become available and they probably waited out Simmons until his asking price went down.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Not on the Simmons front, but Judon probably wasn’t someone NE was looking to trade until recently. Even then, I’m not sure he was being actively shopped by the team as much as the phone just started ringing and a market formed. 

If Judon doesn’t get into that spat with Mayo on the sideline, I’m not sure he’s a Falcon today, but who knows. 

I do think it’s a win-win-win for all parties involved.

3 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I mean, Judon might have just become available and they probably waited out Simmons until his asking price went down.

Simmons didn't sign with ANYONE until now because he didn't want to go through a full training camp. So How is that the Falcons' fault?

And fair point on Judon.

6 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

In the modern NFL, Simmons is more than capable of playing the required amount of snaps near the LOS. You don't play many teams that require an 8 man box very often, and Simmons is more than capable of playing physical enough in the run game to take on a TE if he has to come down.

In truth, I'm a little gutted Simmons didn't go to a perennial contender to win a Championship.

One thing nobody has mentioned so far is the calibre of person Simmons is. He's the ultimate pro - a fiery competitor but a team first guy without doubt. He's got some pretty amazing fits on gameday too, for the fashionistas out there ...

Definitely a great shout out. From what we have seen, Justin is the epitome of a fantastic human being and "ultimate pro" as you put it. 

6 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Definitely a great shout out. From what we have seen, Justin is the epitome of a fantastic human being and "ultimate pro" as you put it. 

FWIW, the Falcons are big on that kind of dude. Almost every Falcons star through the years has had charities that go hand in hand with what Arthur Blank believes there (give back to the community because the community is why they're here).

• Like 1