AP names Gardner Minshew starting QB

NYRaider

I'm indifferent to either in the grand scheme, but this feels like a misstep. 

Minshew didn't look great against the Vikings backups, but he looked hot garbage against Dallas'. 

AOC looked fine against the Vikings, but had thr ugly pick-6. That said, it's not as if Minshew didn't throw a handful of near-picks last night himself, also against backups. 

Minshew may be less prone to bone headed turnovers, but it's not as if he's so much safer that it's night vs day. AOC still makes some bad plays, but he can run the offense. Minshew doesn't seem able to, and the offense looks janky with him. 

AOC might throw 5 more picks in a year than Minshew, but I could see him throwing 8 more TDs and keeping games closer simply due to his willingness to stay in the pocket.

Minshew is definitely better at creating something out of nothing, problem is his unwillingness to stay in the pocket is usually what leads from something to nothing in the first place. He causes plays to break down and necessitates creativity beyond his routine limits. 

Now, it's not as if either was going to be clear cut. But after last night, I gotta wonder what the rationale is for choosing Minshew as the named starter as opposed to continuing the evaluation another week. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'm indifferent to either in the grand scheme, but this feels like a misstep. 

Minshew didn't look great against the Vikings backups, but he looked hot garbage against Dallas'. 

AOC looked fine against the Vikings, but had thr ugly pick-6. That said, it's not as if Minshew didn't throw a handful of near-picks last night himself, also against backups. 

Minshew may be less prone to bone headed turnovers, but it's not as if he's so much safer that it's night vs day. AOC still makes some bad plays, but he can run the offense. Minshew doesn't seem able to, and the offense looks janky with him. 

AOC might throw 5 more picks in a year than Minshew, but I could see him throwing 8 more TDs and keeping games closer simply due to his willingness to stay in the pocket.

Minshew is definitely better at creating something out of nothing, problem is his unwillingness to stay in the pocket is usually what leads from something to nothing in the first place. He causes plays to break down and necessitates creativity beyond his routine limits. 

Now, it's not as if either was going to be clear cut. But after last night, I gotta wonder what the rationale is for choosing Minshew as the named starter as opposed to continuing the evaluation another week. 

Agree 100%. Feel exactly the same way. I think Minshew’s propensity to back himself to do something off script is just as risky as he doesn’t let plays develop. 

While 1 preseason game isn’t much of a barometer, AOC looked to be much more in control of the offense (I’d say it was similar in the Vikings game too).

I’m surprised by this and, as others have said - it was far from cut and dry - but I do feel that this might be the wrong call honestly.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

It's because Telesco / AP / Getsy are the worst GM/HC/OC trio in the league

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

That... would also serve our purpose

I would not be that mad in the grand scheme of things if we had the #1 pick in the draft. Of course if I had a choice I'd rather this team be a QB away from a playoff run. I believe this defense and our couple playermakers are too good for us to be a 1-3 win team. 

But having a gunshy QB who tries to do too much and doesn't play in the pocket or within the system.... is going to cost us games, all by himself. So if this team is capable of winning 8-9 games I say we win 6-7. 

Really curious what they saw in Minshew over AOC. Oconnell looks more polished, weird as that is. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I would not be that mad in the grand scheme of things if we had the #1 pick in the draft. Of course if I had a choice I'd rather this team be a QB away from a playoff run. I believe this defense and our couple playermakers are too good for us to be a 1-3 win team. 

But having a gunshy QB who tries to do too much and doesn't play in the pocket or within the system.... is going to cost us games, all by himself. So if this team is capable of winning 8-9 games I say we win 6-7. 

Really curious what they saw in Minshew over AOC. Oconnell looks more polished, weird as that is. 

10 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

That... would also serve our purpose

It's crazy how quickly it went from AP is a top tier coach that can turn around this franchise to being terrible is acceptable. The moving of the goal posts this year is going to be sickening to watch

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

In fairness, that pick 6 by AOC was UGLY. And Minshew had his worst game yesterday and still didn't turn it over.

I think Minshew does have a significantly better pocket awareness/mobility factor. He should get his shot to start. Neither will be starting a year from now regardless.

I hope you're right.  If someone would have told me we would move on from Carr, start Jimmy G then Minchew in back to back years I would thought they were nuts.  We move on from Carr to downgrade to position for two career backups, two years in a row is insane.  With Minchew/AOC the season is wasted, which is sad....

I don't think this team is bad enough to win 4 games as the D has improved with the addition of Wilkins so I see somewhere around 7 wins which will once again put us in the middle of the 1st round.  I've looked a bit into Beck as a prospect but barring injury he will be long gone by the middle of the 1st.  

Let's say we pick somewhere around 15th next year who are you looking at in that range?  TT's history shows out of 11 drafts he has traded up twice in the first and neither of those moves were huge jumps.  While it's possible he made trade way up, odds indicate the chances are slim...

37 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It's crazy how quickly it went from AP is a top tier coach that can turn around this franchise to being terrible is acceptable. The moving of the goal posts this year is going to be sickening to watch

I know you're talking generally. But my goal post was always the coach/QB combo. Myself, was clamoring for a QB in round 1, knowing we the current crop wouldn't do it. I do remember a lot of people stating how we do would be predicated on what QB we have. Doesn't matter how good a coach you are you need bare minimum good above average QB play to have a chance. What Minshew has shown has been below that. 

Has nothing to do with Pierce. I hope he sticks around next year when we have a shot to get him a QB

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, raidersedge said:

Its the mobility and energy. Those preseason games didn't mean much at all. Either way Raider fans should watch a lot of college this season. Keep an eye on Kaidon Salter boys.

That’s a good point. When Gardner was out there vs the Vikings, there was a noticeable change in energy when he dropping back. 

People also need to realize that Aidan would have been the least mobile starting QB in the NFL. If you pressure him , he’s toast 

49 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I hope you're right.  If someone would have told me we would move on from Carr, start Jimmy G then Minchew in back to back years I would thought they were nuts.  We move on from Carr to downgrade to position for two career backups, two years in a row is insane.  With Minchew/AOC the season is wasted, which is sad....

I don't think this team is bad enough to win 4 games as the D has improved with the addition of Wilkins so I see somewhere around 7 wins which will once again put us in the middle of the 1st round.  I've looked a bit into Beck as a prospect but barring injury he will be long gone by the middle of the 1st.  

Let's say we pick somewhere around 15th next year who are you looking at in that range?  TT's history shows out of 11 drafts he has traded up twice in the first and neither of those moves were huge jumps.  While it's possible he made trade way up, odds indicate the chances are slim...

Shedeur Sanders. Yes he is cocky and a diva. But he is a very refined passer with great ball placement, clean fundamentals, good mobility, etc. I think he can be a plug and play in this offense and excel from day 1.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I know you're talking generally. But my goal post was always the coach/QB combo. Myself, was clamoring for a QB in round 1, knowing we the current crop wouldn't do it. I do remember a lot of people stating how we do would be predicated on what QB we have. Doesn't matter how good a coach you are you need bare minimum good above average QB play to have a chance. What Minshew has shown has been below that. 

Has nothing to do with Pierce. I hope he sticks around next year when we have a shot to get him a QB

Built in excuses for AP already

9 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Shedeur Sanders. Yes he is cocky and a diva. But he is a very refined passer with great ball placement, clean fundamentals, good mobility, etc. I think he can be a plug and play in this offense and excel from day 1.

The rumor has it that the Cowboys are attempting to hire Deion and Draft Shedeur next season 

However, I agree with you. Sanders will be a better NFL QB than College. He would be an ideal plug and play starter